The Mego Museum needs your help!
The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Mike Farence AKA Mikey AKA Type1Kirk

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001
    • 60057

    RIP Mike Farence AKA Mikey AKA Type1Kirk

    I'm very sad to report that Mike Farence, known to MegoMuseum Community members either as "Type1Kirk" and later "Mikey" passed away on September 20th. The last few months saw Mike in poor health and in danger of losing his place but thanks to many of you, he was able to keep his apartment.

    This is from Joanne, his niece and caretaker:

    "He loved going to the museum and seeing everyone and everything, even when he couldn't post
    Please let everyone know how much he appreciated each and every one of you."


    I swear Mike was the first guy in the door at the Museum forums; he really helped build our community and was a fixture. He was very generous with a lot of us, I can't tell you how many DVDs I have from Mike, but it's easily 100. I will really miss him.

    Thanks to everyone who chipped in to help him; I am so glad we were able to let him keep his dignity.

    Rest in peace, Mike.​

    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

    Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003
    • 15186

    #2
    Sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his friends and family.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

    Comment

    • Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004
      • 33256

      #3
      Very sad to hear this. Mike was a good guy and had interesting perspectives on just about every subject. I still have a stack of Dr. Who DVDs he sent me when my son was really into it.

      My condolences to his family, especially Joanne.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003
        • 7253

        #4
        Mike was a real Mego fan and a big presence here. I remember him being the first to hit 10,000 posts. I definitely coveted one of his Priority Box captain’s chairs for many years. He will be missed.
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

        Comment

        • Jorge Galvan
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 8, 2015
          • 1316

          #5
          Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed Mikey's various posts over the years. I hope he wasn't in any pain. Poor guy.


          Any news on how Joanne is doing?


          RIP Mikey.




          Comment

          • Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008
            • 7059

            #6
            I'm really sorry to hear this. He was one of the good guys. RIP
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

            Comment

            • TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011
              • 9153

              #7
              Very sad news to hear, my condolences to his family and friends and those who knew him here.

              Comment

              • Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012
                • 3392

                #8
                Sad and appreciative for his contributions. We'll miss you Mikey!

                Comment

                • HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007
                  • 13997

                  #9
                  This makes me really sad. Mikey was such a sweet guy. He sent me DVDs and liked my posts and was such a Mego fan. We're all just big kids at heart, just wanting to play with our Megos. It's really sad when the bodies start to fail and reality slaps us right in the face. We'll miss you Mikey, rest well. Condolences to his niece and the rest of his family.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

                  Comment

                  • BudgetMego
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 29, 2025
                    • 585

                    #10
                    I joined way too late to know him, but reviewing old posts, the Trek accessories he made were incredible. He can live on through his work, and the memories and regard you guys had for him.

                    Comment

                    • J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010
                      • 3201

                      #11
                      Oh, man...not Mikey. That was a punch in the gut. Master of Shenanigan Posts, you will be missed.
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

                      Comment

                      • Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002
                        • 6145

                        #12
                        So sorry to hear this. He was definitely a foundational member of this place and was just such a great contributor to this community. He really kept the conversation going and his occasional drunk Friday night posts were always highlights.

                        Comment

                        • PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008
                          • 20319

                          #13
                          Originally posted by J.B.
                          Oh, man...not Mikey. That was a punch in the gut. Master of Shenanigan Posts, you will be missed.
                          Perfectly expressed. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. I miss his enthusiasm & irreverence; his late-night food posts were legendary.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

                          Comment

                          • Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002
                            • 10614

                            #14
                            I just heard about this and had to come here to celebrate Mikey with all of you.
                            He was the very first person to welcome me here when I moved from lurker to signed-up member. He was genuinely interested in me and path to collecting. Purely motivated by a desire to share the joy of our world, he sent me a stack of Dr. Who DVDs. It would be the first of several unprompted generosities he would send my way. Mikey was always here for the fun of the Mego community. He is a big part of what made it so fun. He is a big part of what made this place more than a toy forum, of it becoming a group of friends.

                            You will be missed, my friend.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

                            Comment

                            • J.B.
                              Guild Navigator
                              • Jun 23, 2010
                              • 3201

                              #15
                              Damn, I'm gonna miss this guy. Not only was he funny and unpredictable, but a good sport, too. Joking around with him just felt so comfortable, even though I never met the guy. This was from a post about The Greater Adirondack Toy and Comic Show- Sunday, April 30th, 2023 in Lake George NY
                              ​
                              ​
                              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎