X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Old Mego Only: WORST Mego Likeness

Which sculpt from vintage Mego made you look at the figure and say Are you sure that’s supposed to be…?

my vote? Scotty. I could never see it honestly. It’s not a bad sculpt but it could be almost anyone.
  • johnpauljones
    • Oct 13, 2007

Captain Marvel (Shazam). At the time in the comics he still had the old CC Beck look. They didn't even try to get close.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Yea good one

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

I always wished they would have made Urko's (or "Helmet Head") muzzle more prominent: He looks okay from the front, but his profile is almost non existent. (Even with a more prominent profile, he still probably wouldn't actually look like Urko though.)

But, of all of the apes in the "Planet of the Apes" line, the one with the least resemblance to an ape from the movies/TV series has to be the original Soldier Ape.
        Last edited by apes3978; Feb 10, '24, 1:01 AM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

Was the soldier ape supposed to be anyone in particular? I was thinking it was more like the Astronaut in that wasn’t any of the astronauts we had seen so far but just an astronaut or an ape at random.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
            Was the soldier ape supposed to be anyone in particular? I was thinking it was more like the Astronaut in that wasn’t any of the astronauts we had seen so far but just an astronaut or an ape at random.
            No, the Soldier Ape was never intended to be any one particular ape: I singled him out for having the least resemblance to a movie/TV ape at all compared to the others who, while not looking like their actual screen counterpart(s) at least had the "look" of the apes portrayed on screen with their little wrinkles and such, whereas Soldier Ape was pretty smooth faced and didn't have quite the same overall "look" as the others.

I hope this makes sense.

Comment

• shaunaconda
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 29, 2020

Which sculpt from vintage Mego made you look at the figure and say Are you sure that’s supposed to be…?

my vote? Scotty. I could never see it honestly. It’s not a bad sculpt but it could be almost anyone.
              I think Scotty looks pretty good. It’s Uhura that looks way off.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Jon from Chips is a head scratcher. The similarity to Larry Wilcox stops at blonde hair.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Their 12 inch celebrity fashion dolls aren't great overall. Some of them are kind of scary and the Suzanne Somers doll is pretty generic looking.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

I don’t even know if it was a good likeness but wasn’t the Daryl Dragon AKA the Captain reused as Peter Criss?

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I don’t even know if it was a good likeness but wasn’t the Daryl Dragon AKA the Captain reused as Peter Criss?
                      The Captain was used for Paul and Lex was re-used for Peter .
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

And of course Lex was Gene Hackman.

Comment

• GR8ACTR
                          • Dec 20, 2015

The Mr Mxyzptlk looked more like actor Charles Durning than it did the comic character.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I agree with Werewolf that the celebrity fashion dolls are often a miss. Seems like Mego leaned hard into exaggerating unique facial attributes (like Cher's cheekbones and Farrah's jawline), where other compaines softened those to make them more "doll-like". The gangly body Mego produced doesn't help either.

As much as I love it, I don't think the 12" Wonder Woman looks a thing like Lynda Carter, despite the early box telling us this is meant to be her. The features are too sharp and the face is too maudlin for the softer, eternally smiling Carter.

As for 8" Megos, I'd go with Richie Cunningham from Happy Days. I can kinda see Ron Howard in there if I squint, but again the facial features are exageratted. Looks like he's got a mouthful of a bad burger from Arnold's. Where's his "Huh-huh-huh" grin? Plus, his hair color is way too dark. The rest of the Happy Days figures are pretty great, but the actual star of the show gets the shaft.
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Can't agree about Shazam! Granted, it's not in the style of Beck but Mego never did an 8" figure that cartoony. (Except maybe Dracula lol.)

I'm a big Capt. Marvel fan, and I think Mego did a masterful job of capturing the Big Red Cheese's features in a realistic way: the wavy hair, slightly-frowning stronger brows, snub nose, broader cleft jaw. I love it, I think it's expressive and the best Mego DC sculpt next to Green Arrow.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎