Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do your parents think of your hobby?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by RussG
    But out of all the lines I collect he likes the GI Joe RAH stuff.
    That's a smart man,I can't blame him.The RAH stuff rocks!!
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Although my father has no interest in the toys themselves, he does understand the collector mentality (he collects and sells antique furniture and lamps). My mother used to collect Snow White stuff, so I guess she understands too. I have to admit that it's easier now that toy collecting is more mainstream. In the mid to late 1980's, when I was a teenager, they seemed worried about me "wasting money" on a bunch of toys. I remember my father thinking I was absolutely nuts when I spent $500 on a big Captain Action lot that I planned to piece out and sell. A few months later, when I told him that I more than doubled my money on them, he said "OK, I'll never question your buying decisions regarding toys again".

Comment

• steelcouch
        Career Member
        • Feb 11, 2006

My mom blames herself for making me sell all of my toys when I turned 13. Basically thinks Im nuts and doesnt get it. My dad could care less except when I spend $100 and over on a figure then I get his comments and criticism. My wife is cool with it and thats all I need. I married the perfect woman that indeed is my soul mate. She gets me!

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

My mom thinks it's a phase I'm going through because I've collected one thing or another since I was a kid.

Comment

• mitchedwards
            Mego Preservation Society
            • May 2, 2003

My folks have always collected something. As a kid I went to countless auctions and fleamarkets on a quest for their collections. So I came by it naturally.

My folks like my collection and like to see how its grown since their last visit.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

Neither really care too much. My mom thinks some of the customs are pretty cool, though.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
                Hey HG have you ever posted pics of your collection? I would love to see how you have it all set up

No, I haven't. (when I finally do, I'll need help b/c this blasted forum doesn't like me! ) But my toyroom is only 3/4 done. We've lived in this house since last October. My mom is disabled, so I've basically had to do all the unpacking myself. My toyroom was (and still is) being used for storage, and when we first moved in here it was literally floor to ceiling w/ boxes w/ a walking aisle in the middle. There are still about 20 boxes left. I have to feel really motivated to work on it, since I have to keep up this big house all by myself and work too. I think I've done pretty good so far, and maybe on our year anniversary, (October) I'll finally be finished. I don't have a digital camera, or a cell phone, so I will eventually take some pics, send them to Brian, and ask him to help me post them.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

my parents dont get it.

Comment

• highquality
                    #1 Super Guy
                    • Jun 10, 2003

Mom: Lifelong collector and seller of pop culture, antiques, art, pottery and whatever else she can get her hands on. She most definitely encourages my hobby and greatly appreciates every new find I have. My collector gene came directly from her.

Dad: He likes when I make money on them. Otherwise, it's not really his bag. He's big into hunting, fishing and golf.
                    WorldMEGO: Where MEGOs Go! 24 Hours a Day

Comment

• z3zep
                      The Girl Next Door
                      • Sep 30, 2006

My dad passed away when I was young, but my mom is pretty supportive of my collecting. She does think I am a bit crazy, but then I will say oh I want to buy a POTA Jail for my figures and I show it to her on e-bay and she say oh yes you have to have the Jail! She is always asking if I am bidding on anything.

My sister thinks it is cool, she collects barbies. She was the one that saved my original Megos. My 2 brothers think I am nuts. They just look at my collection and say -- how much money have you spent!!???

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

My Dad doesn't get the collecting, but he gets the business of it. It's wierd (and unfortunate) how many people accept my hobby only because they see the financial side of it (as long as I'm in the Black).

I truly regret my Mom isn't alive to see my collection. I know that she would be truly happy to see how much it means to me, and how my constant nagging for more figures has manifested itself. I think knowing that in my heart has helped me justify it all, and is part of the joy I feel when I get or create a new figure.

When doing a new custom, I often reflect back to elementary school, and her bringing home a supply of plaster of paris bandages. We created a King Tut mummy (out of an old Spock figure), with multiple nested coffins made out of posterboard for school history project. Good times.

Comment

• HermitBoy
                          The Superman Freak
                          • Feb 23, 2007

My mom is the one that started my habit. As a kid she would buy me Superman toys all of the time, and one year for Christmas I got the complete Mego's heroes set along with the carrying case for them. I mostly collect Superman Stuff and just started collecting the Different Megos. My Computer Den at my house has shelfs full and the walls are all full as well. It drives my wife nuts and To quote my best friend "It looks like some one spewed Superman all over the place" Both of my parents Collect something or another My mom Collects Barbie and Betty Boop She also has a big collection of old Dresden porcelain statuettes. My Dad collects old VW Bug stuff. So they are both cool with it. Heck most of my Superman stuff is from my Parents buying it for me. Almost every time that I go visit they have something new for me. My older Brother Thinks it is cool Also. When he and his Family are home on Leave he likes to check out the new stuff that I got. But then again he Collects Star Wars stuff. Heck he would have had all of the figures if it wasn't for our mom letting me play with them outside as a kid.

Michael.
                          Thanks to Technology I can be the Hermit that I am today.

www.myspace.com/mdpeel

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                            Formerly known as Del
                            • Dec 12, 2004

My mom knows better than to criticize what I spend on my toy collection, because she has her own obsessions that take up her time and money. I think my dad is mildy amused by some of the old campy stuff I get, especially since he remembers the old Batman TV show. They both kind of understand the Megos, because they do a little bit of antiquing. I think they both like the customizing, because they also like to do artsy crafty stuff. In fact, when I still lived with my parents, they allowed me to take over the entire workbench area in the basement for my customizing, including the paints and often-messy chemicals I used.
                            Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                            https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                            http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• VintageMike
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2004

Kind of two sides.
                              Like Russ I moved back in with parents since it was beneficial to both of us. My parents are getting older and with me being an only child they really need my help with chores, etc. On my side, there's no way to live comfortably alone (no roommate/girlfriend/wife) on my salary in the area I live in. My parents understand the nostalgia and appreciate the fact it makes me happy. On the flip side my dad cringes at the throught of "another collection" and me getting more stuff. I think he's been impressed though at how I've gotten more out the space I have to use and how well I take of my Megos. The negative side with my Mom is she sometimes frowns on the money aspect. That usually that dies out when mention two things. First as long as I given her my rent every month it's really not her concern and second she doesn't have to live off what she makes. If needs more money she can get it from my Dad. It's not the ideal situation but neither is struggling, renting an apartment and then basically having little time to enjoy it since I've be coming home every Sunday to help out with various things.

Comment

• batmanmc
                                mego batman collector
                                • Jun 22, 2004

cool stories. my brother accepts and likesthe idea of me collecting as he collects even more then me. mike

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎