Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES PLAYSET ...sort of...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by ditcin
    A spaceship! Now that would have been great.
    Oh, dude, my stuff was NOTHING like what you created as a kid! It was literally a Kleenex box with empty toilet paper rolls taped to the sides. One time, I got real creative and covered it in tin-foil.

Had I not been such a little booger-picker, I would have had a whole fleet of them!

Comment

• ditcin
      Museum Patron
      • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by saildog
      Oh, dude, my stuff was NOTHING like what you created as a kid! It was literally a Kleenex box with empty toilet paper rolls taped to the sides. One time, I got real creative and covered it in tin-foil.

Had I not been such a little booger-picker, I would have had a whole fleet of them!
      ..."covering it with foil", that's smart. Good and proper protection for getting through that radiation belt around the earth needed to catapult from future to past and vice versa.
      - Scott B.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by ditcin
        ..."covering it with foil", that's smart. Good and proper protection for getting through that radiation belt around the earth needed to catapult from future to past and vice versa.
        - Scott B.
        Heck with that. I just want to know the following:

A) how did the apes dredge up the ship from the bottom of the lake?

B) how did they fix it? All the electronics, etc must've been ruined. Not to mention where they all of sudden got the technological know-how (from mud huts to rocketships in one easy step?)

C) How did they launch it?

D) Where did they find the time to do this before the Alpha Omega bomb blew up the Earth?

I can suspend disbelief that they somehow traveled back through the same wormhole Taylor must've come through.

Actually I'm just kidding in a way. I love the apes but I always wanted to know how they did those things. They never said as far as I remember.

APES RULE!!!

Rich

Comment

• megozilla13
          Persistent Member
          • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
          I'm inclined to nominate this as "The Coolest Thread Ever!" Fantastic story and thanks so much for sharing it and your pictures!

I second that !!!!!!!! Those ads are incredible. Not too long ago I spent about 10 hours in my college library just scrolling through roll after roll of microfiche of the NY Times and other papers just hoping to come across ads like that, and came up empty handed. I knew they had to exist but expected them to be small. I'm floored seeing what you have, completely amazing.

mikej
          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

thank you for sharing your memories and artifacts with us! you were definitely one thoughtful kid! wish i clipped out toy ads when i was a kid as i spent hours looking and wishing on so many toys!

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

It's obvious that you used the figures and horses (and probably the accessories like the catapult/wagon, etc.) in your APEventures, but this question needs asking:

Did you use your own custom sets or the MEGO playsets more?

Comment

• ditcin
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by apes3978
                It's obvious that you used the figures and horses (and probably the accessories like the catapult/wagon, etc.) in your APEventures, but this question needs asking:

Did you use your own custom sets or the MEGO playsets more?
                Eventually, as I got the MEGO playsets I used them all together to make a play environment. But truthfully, I seem to remember playing with my own much more mostly due to the fact that I didn't get the MEGO stuff till later. I really couldn't afford to buy them as soon as they came out. Luckily I got the Village, Treehouse and Fortress from MEGO. I eventually purchased another Fortress and Treehouse when they went on sale.
                There was a girl I knew that we into the APES as well and she would enjoy being Zira of course. Because her interaction was from a very different angle I made stuff to accommodate her. Out of dried clay I carved a rock-like kitchen for her to use. I still have the sink and oven with bowls I made - all in proportion to the Zira figure. I remember the big joke was that she was always making chocolate icing, other thing Cornelius didn't like. (If you know BENEATH you'll know what I mean.) I also made mini-sacred scrolls to place on tables as well. Those were made of branches from trees that I cut down to size, hollowed out. I used the end part, thinner part of a branch as something to wrap paper around for the scroll. I did the same for a cane for Dr. Zaius (which I still have as well.)
                - Scott B.

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
                  I was NEVER here!
                  • Jun 22, 2008

G'day Scott B and welcome. . . .WOW. . . thanks for stopping by and thanks to Jessica for pointing the way!!!! Keep it coming. . . and again. . . . WOW!!!!!!

Comment

• ditcin
                    Museum Patron
                    • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by starsky
                    thank you for sharing your memories and artifacts with us! you were definitely one thoughtful kid! wish i clipped out toy ads when i was a kid as i spent hours looking and wishing on so many toys!

Hey STARSKY thanks. You know I have a friend that refers to me as "starsky" for various reasons - like the way I talk (the Bronx in me sometimes just ooozes out of me), my middle name is Michael (as Paul "Michael" Glaser), I have a Starsky sweater, I was given a coin/medallion by another friend who did realize the comparison (the the pic of me with the ape mask on in a previous post. AND I have an email with that name.

What I am missing are the Starsky & Hutch MEGO figures! Go figure!
                    -Scott B

Comment

• ditcin
                      Museum Patron
                      • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
                      G'day Scott B and welcome. . . .WOW. . . thanks for stopping by and thanks to Jessica for pointing the way!!!! Keep it coming. . . and again. . . . WOW!!!!!!
                      A greeting all the way from down under. Oy, a waltzing Matilda greeting.
                      Thanks for the welcome cobber!
                      - Scott B.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I came into this one late, but first of all, welcome, and second WOW. What a great stories, great pics, great EVERYTHING. Thanks for sharing with us!

Incidentally, I recognized the second Mego International logo from Benjamin's "World's Greatest Toys" book, but the first one (on the box) was new to me.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

(((double post)))
                          Last edited by Wee67; Sep 8, '08, 11:04 AM.
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

That international logo is new to me. Very cool!

Scott, you were the original customizer! Charlie Flatt who?!?!?

I would love to get those ads scanned and added to the Museum. Scott, I have access to a decent scanner here Manhattan if you happen to come into the city.

Can this thread be archived itnto the library here? This story needs to be formalized somehow.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
                              Museum Chaplain
                              • Nov 26, 2002

WOW......Scott I'm late to the party but awestruck like everyone else. Great story and great for you that you were able to connect at such an early age with the company that we all love....no question your a special person!

Thanks a ton for posting this.
                              "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

How cool is that...to be able to play with a 1/9 scale kitchen sink and dishes!! I am so jealous!!

Scott, the Cornelius outfit Mego made for you is spectacular! They even sewed up the two pleats in the front of the pants!! Please don't ever sell it.
                                Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎