• Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Jon Pertwee as Willy Wonka ?

Just read this on Wiki .....

That would have been really neat if he did it

Dahl, who had rights to the film production, unsuccessfully pushed for Spike Milligan to play Willy Wonka. [2] His next choice, Ron Moody, rejected the part. Jon Pertwee also turned down the role due to ongoing commitments to Doctor Who. Also initially considered was Broadway star Joel Grey, who ultimately was rejected due to his small physical stature. Auditions were held for a week in New York City's Plaza Hotel, where Gene Wilder was immediately awarded the role. Wilder said that he would only do the movie if Wonka first appeared onscreen coming out of the factory hobbling with a cane, only to then lose it and do a somersault. Further auditions were held in New York, London and Munich to fill the parts of the other children and their parents.

m
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Gene Wilder was great in the role. I can't see anyone else doing a better job.

Comment

• monkey tennis
      "Kiss my face."
      • Jun 8, 2007

Would of loved to have seen a screen test by Jon Pertwee
      "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by txteach
        Gene Wilder was great in the role. I can't see anyone else doing a better job.
        I agree. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and no matter how many times I have seen it, it never gets old.

Apparently, Gene Wilder somewhat ad libbed the last scene when Charlie and Grandpa Joe walk into his office looking for the lifetime supply of chocolate only to be berated for breaking the rules.

It was done to get try to capture a natural reaction out of the actor who played Charlie.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

Milligan would have been a brave choice...would have been interesting to see that.
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎