Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Not my favorite episode, but I'm glad they keep trying things.

Celia Rose Gooding and Christina Chong were the standout performers in this one. Anson Mount... well, bless his heart, he tried his best.

I'm a little disappointed with the Kirk reveal. To me, that seems hard to reconcile with canon.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I actually loved the musical, lol.

The Klingons in dance and song…I was rolling…
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel

Celia Rose Gooding and Christina Chong were the standout performers in this one. Anson Mount... well, bless his heart, he tried his best.

I'm a little disappointed with the Kirk reveal. To me, that seems hard to reconcile with canon.
        Yeah, Christina and Celia brought it…they have great voices. I think Anson did fine for not being a singer. Ethan was surprisingly good. The worst singer was Babs, he even says he doesn’t like to sing…so he sang the least. The Klingons had me rolling, lol.

I agree about the Kirk reveal…I personally thought it was lame and a downer. I wanted Noonien to hook up with him “again”.
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I thought the Kirk reveal was great, and added to their tragic, star-crossed romance. And nothing says they won't "hook-up", Kirk did say he and Carol were off and on, and we know he was never involved in his life, per her request.
          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

it wasn't a terrible episode but i started fast forwarding through the song bits. the Klingon bit was funny though

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel

I just got a chance to watch this last night. Celia Rose Gooding and Christina Chong are definitely wonderful singers, but Rebecca Romijn, Jess Bush and Ethan Peck are no slouches, either. Anson Mount didn't go all Russell Crowe and embarrass himself, but he's not in the same league as the other five. Great actor though, wish they'd focus on him more.

And the Kirk reveal isn't far off in the time line if you do the math on it. I just don't care for the portrayal of the character at all. Too much of him, too little Pike. But overall, I am very much enjoying the show, and sad there's only one more episode left this season.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Well, there were a few times in episode 10 where I half expected Ellen Ripley to appear.

The cast in SNW are mostly excellent. I just wish they had better stories to work with.

Hopefully season 3 will be more consistent. (Although it'll certainly be delayed due to the strikes.)

***** Spoiler *****

(At least this version of Scotty is better than Simon Pegg's disastrous interpretation... but that sure isn't saying much.)
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i thought the season finale was great. fantastic type of cliffhanger that harkens back to the great season finale cliffhangers we usually got on TNG

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    i thought the season finale was great. fantastic type of cliffhanger that harkens back to the great season finale cliffhangers we usually got on TNG
                    Yes, I thought it was amazing myself.

Can’t wait until, well, actors and writers strike…I hope within a year…

Spoilers…….

My only gripe was the astronomical odds of Nurse Chapel surviving. She finding Spock (or the other way around). And not even bothering checking for any other possible survivors. Okay, I get it…debris was falling into the atmosphere…they had to bail…but Spock and Chapel never seemed to care…

Last edited by Hector; Aug 11, '23, 3:07 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Great finale. And I agree, it's definitely evoking TNG in that regard.

SPOILERS

But does anyone think this show kinda makes Pike look bad at times? I mean the end is very similar to "The Best of Both Worlds" Part 1. Except Riker barely hesitates and says "FIRE". Pike's indecision, standing there looking confused, by comparison, makes him look like a weak leader and Captain. Last year, the finale showed that if Pike were to remain Captain of the Enterprise, when they first met the Romulans face-to-face in "Balance of Terror", he would doom the Federation to an intergalactic war. Anson Mount's Pike is a wonderful person, a true friend, a compasionate leader...but he's being painted as a less-than-great captain, honestly.

Plus, Paul Wesley's Kirk (whom I'm really warming up to) is constantly showing up, knipping at his boots, which also seems to be nerfing Pike's legacy somewhat. It's really odd.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        But does anyone think this show kinda makes Pike look bad at times? I mean the end is very similar to "The Best of Both Worlds" Part 1. Except Riker barely hesitates and says "FIRE". Pike's indecision, standing there looking confused, by comparison, makes him look like a weak leader and Captain. Last year, the finale showed that if Pike were to remain Captain of the Enterprise, when they first met the Romulans face-to-face in "Balance of Terror", he would doom the Federation to an intergalactic war. Anson Mount's Pike is a wonderful person, a true friend, a compasionate leader...but he's being painted as a less-than-great captain, honestly.
                        Plus, Paul Wesley's Kirk (whom I'm really warming up to) is constantly showing up, knipping at his boots, which also seems to be nerfing Pike's legacy somewhat. It's really odd.
                        I've noticed it, too.
                        Regrettably, it's a deliberate effort by the writers to minimize Pike and reduce his overall agency, dynamism and effectiveness as a command figure. While at the same time lionizing and aggradizing the other characters, particularly the numerous female characters (some of whom are great, don't get me wrong).

(Alas, it's de rigueur in the Hollywood echo chamber these days.)

It's particularly annoying, because Anson Mount is great in the role, and as we all know, Pike's days as captain of the Enterprise are literally numbered.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

It seems like everyone, male and female is better at their particular job than the ostensible lead of the series. Even "new" guys who just popped up in this episode.

Don't get me wrong, still love the shows, and have really grown fond of ALL of the characters, but I wish they'd give Pike a "YEAH!!!" moment. He hasn't really had one. Something like Riker flinging an asteroid at a ship in Picard.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

You are all sounding like YouTube’s The Critical Drinker…

Just kidding!

All Captains can’t be the same. I like that Pike has some weaknesses, it’s cool by me. Makes his scenarios less heroically predictable.

And of course Kirk is going to eventually upstage him…it’s KIRK, folks!

My main gripe with Pike is that bloody hair of his…I just want to mess it up with my hands…

IMG_5663.jpg

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              It seems like everyone, male and female is better at their particular job than the ostensible lead of the series. Even "new" guys who just popped up in this episode.

Don't get me wrong, still love the shows, and have really grown fond of ALL of the characters, but I wish they'd give Pike a "YEAH!!!" moment. He hasn't really had one. Something like Riker flinging an asteroid at a ship in Picard.
                              I think Pike will eventually kick some serious arze and show the Gorns who is boss…

sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
                                Persistent Member
                                • Mar 23, 2013

Interesting and fun stuff.

I was thinking a lot of the same things about the characters.

I think the show runners said this was ten years before Kirk gets command of the Enterprise.

When Spock, in TOS, takes Pike back to the planet, it is 13 years after the events in The Cage.

So I don't think they should rush it too much, making Kirk a Captain.

I do like the Lt. Kirk stuff, though.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎