The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you like Space:1999 on it's first run ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Did you like Space:1999 on it's first run ?

I remember HATING Space:1999 on it's initial run in the mid 70's.

Thought it was the most boring show ever.

When some of my class buddies would say it was "better then Star Trek", it really used to P me off ...

I really didn't start liking 1999 until it was on it's second play in the early 80's ...

So my question,
    Did anyone else have to have time to get to like the show (perhaps YEARS) like me
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It blew me away as a kid, I rediscovered it in the 80's although getting tapes of it was hard. As an adult, I still like it but it's like that high school drinking buddy that hasn't changed, I only see it once in a while.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mitchedwards
      Mego Preservation Society
      • May 2, 2003

I hated Space 1999, because in the 70's it knocked Batman off the air

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• censy
        thread killer
        • Sep 26, 2007

Yes!

As a kid, I found it rather boring and thought it was quite inferior to Star Trek. I rediscovered it years later and appreciated it more. Especially the design of the Eagles.

I just purchased the dvds and am enjoying them. I'm early into the second season and I have to say, I prefer the first season much more. Barry Morse was the best actor on the show and he is sorely missed in season two.

I think the stories got kinda silly too.

Chris
        Last edited by censy; May 14, '08, 9:22 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Not counting Sci Fi Channel which played it briefly in the early 90's (I didn't get Sci-Fi at that time) ...... The only time I think it was ever on around the NY area was on its initial run, and WPIX-11 played it like 1:00 AM in the early 80's.
          Because there was nothing else on TV at that time, I started to watch it.
          That's when I started liking it.
          Enough that I started recording them -- incase I fell asleep

Those bad quality tapes got me through the 80's and 90's ...

I only had about half the episodes.

Comment

• Seeker
            Neptunians RULE!
            • Feb 20, 2008

I liked it at the time because it was different. Sure it was a bit slower then the action filled star Trek but it had a bit more High brow plots and for the most part seemed more realistic.

The Eagles looked like they could actually be turned out by NASA by 1999. There was no Warp drive, transporters etc. They delt with real things like explosive decompression.

When I saw it in later years the flaws seemed glaring. It would take years years just to leave the solar system. The great 0 gravity Eagles flew wrong. etc

I wish someone could take the best of 1999 and eliminate the bad physics and up date the show.
            Lo there do I see my Father.
            Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
            Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
            Lo they do call me.
            They bid me take my place among them.
            In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

I liked it better as a kid then I do now. I don't own the DVDs, but would probably watch it if it came one the air anywhere. Funny enough the show that I always compared it to was Lost in Space rather than Star Trek (similar theme). I never felt that any of these were in competition for my loyalty though. If it was a show I liked, I watched it.
              It's all good!

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                Pat Troughton in disguise
                • Nov 21, 2007

Yes...yes I did...thank you for asking
                ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 10, 2006

I rember seeing it on UHF channel 17 out of SOUTH PHILLIE in the 70s and i loved it, But then i've alway be a hugh SCI-FI fan, But it's not better then START TREK TOS

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

Liked it from the beginning, have the DVD's. I like season 1 much better than season 2. Professor Bergman was my favorite character.

Star Trek and 1999 were run back to back and I always think of these shows as 2 sides of a coin.

[email protected]

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

As a young buck, I liked Space 1999 better than Star Trek.

I still like it, but now I like classic Trek better.
                      sigpic

Comment

• NicknJaime
                        • May 9, 2008

I liked both Star Trek and Space 1999, I especially liked Mya she could change into all sorts of things. Actually I was just in a movie this spring with Martin Landua. The movie Title is Love Actually. Filmed in Omaha Nebraska. I was also in a Movie with Gerald McRainy Filmed in Las Vegas Nevada.
                        Mego Museums resident P.I.

Comment

• Godzilla
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 3, 2002

I loved it as a kid.

I still do, but mainly season1. I have a hard time sitting through some of season2 although it makes me laugh remembering how much I loved it back in the day.
                          Mortui Vivos Docent
                          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• censy
                            thread killer
                            • Sep 26, 2007

Tonight, with no Red Sox or Celtics game on, I decided to watch an episode. Rather than continue with season two, I re-watched Black Sun, from the first season. By far, my favorite episode.

Chris

Comment

• Captain
                              Fighting the good fight!
                              • Jun 17, 2001

I've always had a love/hate (well like/hate anyways) thing going on with Space:1999. As TIK mentioned, when it first came out there was a big Trek vs '99 thing going on....and in my book Trek is and was king!

I watched the show, preferring the first season as I liked the Bergman/Koenig interaction...kind of a poor mans Kirk/Spock. The second season was ok, but I always hated how they never explained where Bergman went...or how these other goofballs got on the station when they werent there in the first season.

Did I like the show in its first run....Ehh. It was ok. My buddy had the Eagle toy...I found that way cooler than the series itself.

When the CBC finally reran it during my teen years, I found many of the episodes dreadfully boring....and the premise really was hooey----By then, I knew if the moon blew out of orbit it would probably tear itself apart...and the Earth wouldnt be such a happy place either. Even if it did go out of orbit and survive, it would take it forever and a day to get anywhere.

I'll stick with Jimmy T., and his Enterprise posse.
                              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎