The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up some cool 1979 Alien items, have questions too...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Just picked up some cool 1979 Alien items, have questions too...

I got a box in this week with some vintage Alien stuff. Most is from 1979 and honestly I didn't even know what all was in the box until it arrived. One item not pictured is a loose MPC Alien model.

I got two sealed Alien board games. I'm almost tempted to open one to play it...

I also got a bunch of vintage magazines about Alien.

I got a carded Alien egg.

I got a mess of vintage Alien promo buttons(Ripley sings "You are my lucky star"), and later lenticular Aliens promo buttons, and an Aliens tank top. I'll probably be selling off some of the buttons if interested.

I also got a bunch of what I assume is promo photos for Alien that was sent to the theaters. There's a letter from 20th Century Fox included with the photos dated April 24th 1979 describing the photos stills etc... and this is directed to the theater owner.

The most interesting thing I got is this photo portfolio. 18 pages or so, with two sided full page photos. This is a very impressive book, and it's definitely vintage photos and attention to detail was used to lay it all out.

The interior mentioned that all of the photos included in this portfolio were taken within the first three weeks of shooting before the special effects were filmed. The back says the photography was by Bob Penn and this was compiled by SB International Photographic, London. I looked up Bob Penn and he was the photographer on Alien as well as Aliens and a lot of other movies. SB International was a company that processed onsite photos for movies, including Alien. http://www.stanleybielecki.com/about/

It looks like this was created even before the Alien move was released, maybe for 20th Century Fox, but I have no idea if that's true or not. I did some digging online but didn't find anything listed like this.

Please take a look at these photos and let me know what you think. I didn't take pictures of the other pages, but there's some really nice shots of the production.

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Wow! What an amazing haul!

The photobook is very similar to one that Gary Kurtz had produced for the production of Star Wars, which was given to crew and cast members, sort of an in-house promotional item for 20th Century Fox.

Your color photos are lobby cards, part of a press kit sent to theater owners or newspapers for promotion.

I have the game. It's not that fun to play.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful pick up with us. Some REAL treasures there.

Comment

• alex
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 15, 2009

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

The promotional stuff is very unique.

I Totally forgot about that egg. The alien is really crappy, IIRC, but the egg itself was great.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hedji
          Wow! What an amazing haul!

The photobook is very similar to one that Gary Kurtz had produced for the production of Star Wars, which was given to crew and cast members, sort of an in-house promotional item for 20th Century Fox.
          I looked that Star Wars photobook up and yes it looks a lot like that. I know the photographer that took the Alien photos also worked on Star Wars...

I'd love more info on it!
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

The lobby cards are on thick stock, but aren't made like the lobby cards I have been seeing on my google searches.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Great haul!

The board games are awesome...fantastic condition. All your stuff in fact.

Been on a recent Alien hunt myself too...that's why I'm eating canned tuna with crackers instead of porterhouse steaks, lol.
              sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Wow, great stuff! Those sealed Alien games are drool-worthy, wanna sell one?

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

WOW! amazing stuff you got! To hell with it, keep one game sealed and open up and play the other
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by mazinz
                    WOW! amazing stuff you got! To hell with it, keep one game sealed and open up and play the other
                    It's tempting, but I haven't done that yet

I'd still love to find more info on the photograph book, it's pretty impressive honestly.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Seriously, I tried to play the game with my kid this past year. It's not really fun. The artwork is decent, but honestly the box art is the best thing about it.

Comment

• number 6
                        Village Idiot
                        • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                        Seriously, I tried to play the game with my kid this past year. It's not really fun. The artwork is decent, but honestly the box art is the best thing about it.
                        I second this.

The game play on these media-themed board games is extremely basic.

The pieces you have are very well preserved. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to pay a premium to take the second one off your hands.

You could use the proceeds to buy a lesser-grade complete example for play/display and pocket the difference.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎