Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

The character of Sasha will definitely be the next one killed in the Walking Dead now for sure.
    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Reminds me of the Diane Carey novels, "Dreadnought" and "Battlestations". The main character is Lt. Piper and she only has peripheral encounters with Kirk and the other main characters from the show. Piper is unabashedly a Mary Sue... but they were fun books and I really liked the fresh perspective.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
        The character of Sasha will definitely be the next one killed in the Walking Dead now for sure.
        Oh definitely, that's the first thing I though of when I heard she was chosen for ST: D (which, I just realized, if you fail to use the colon, has a really unfortunate acronym!). Since, presumably, this season of TWD is finished filming, I wonder if she'll meet her fate in the back half of this season or in the first half of next season....
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
          valar morghulis
          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Because they're both black female lieutenants? Or did I miss something?
          Martin-Green is playing a Lt. Cmdr, not a Lt. Sorry if that's nitpicking

Were any of the Treks "The Captain Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway Show"? Of course not, Trek has always been about the strength of its ensemble. SMG's character may be labeled as the show's "lead", but that hardly means she'll carry the show..

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Despite it's female fans, Star Trek still has a mostly male dominated audience...there's a reason Voyager isn't that well liked. They introduced Seven of Nine just to spice things up for male viewers and even that couldn't save it, because there wasn't a male lead character for them to relate to.
            What does "couldn't save it" mean? Voyager ran for 7 seasons, just like TNG and DS9. Do you mean creatively? Are you sure they couldn't "relate" to Ensign Kim lusting after Seven?

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
              What does "couldn't save it" mean? Voyager ran for 7 seasons, just like TNG and DS9. Do you mean creatively? Are you sure they couldn't "relate" to Ensign Kim lusting after Seven?
              IMO Voyager only ran for seven seasons because it was on Paramount's own network. I feel certain if it had been on any other it would've been axed long before that. Seven of Nine was definitely added to the mix to attract male viewers. That's my point...TOS, TNG, DS9 didn't need that. But, that's just my opinion. When this new Trek hits, we'll see what happens. I'm not expecting a whole lot though.

Comment

• SKotK
                Career Member
                • Mar 11, 2014

"Only" 7 seasons? I think as a rule of thumb, no single show should ever run more than about 5-7 seasons (unless it's Doctor Who). ST:TNG had 7, and that was fine. ST:TOS only had 3, and should have had at least 5. Seems to me that when a show runs longer than 5-7 seasons it either jumps the shark or drags on long past its expiration date, or both. X-Files should have ended after Season 5, or at least 7...instead it jumped the shark and went on without David Duchovny (mostly) until Season 9. Babylon 5 would have been perfect at 5 seasons like the creator intended, if it hadn't been for premature cancellation. LOST was just...I don't wanna talk about LOST. The original BSG only lasted 1 season (2 if you count the dismal Galactica 1980) but should have been 5, while the new BSG was just about right at 4 seasons and a miniseries. I could go on and on with this one I think.

Anyway, 5-7 seasons seems just about right for most shows.

--SKot
                Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

^I wasn't referring to the number of seasons, rather the reason that many seasons stayed on the air.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

IMO Voyager only ran for seven seasons because it was on Paramount's own network. I feel certain if it had been on any other it would've been axed long before that. Seven of Nine was definitely added to the mix to attract male viewers. That's my point...TOS, TNG, DS9 didn't need that. But, that's just my opinion. When this new Trek hits, we'll see what happens. I'm not expecting a whole lot though.
                    DS9 did feel it needed to bring a fan favorite character in Worf, tho. I'm am sure that was intended to boost ratings.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Star Trek has always used sex appeal to sneak in its more cerebral, sci-fi concepts... that goes all the way back to Kirk and his fondness for alien women in short mini-skirts.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        DS9 did feel it needed to bring a fan favorite character in Worf, tho. I'm am sure that was intended to boost ratings.
                        And it was nice that the added Gowron too, and a whole lot of Bat'leths.

And Klingon ships.

-But even Space 1999 had to start a new season with new characters and one main character was a Bond Girl.

Farscape gathered new characters.

Sometimes it is needed by the story, sometimes it's only for ratings.

It would have been good if Buck Rogers In The 25th Century lasted 7 seasons, they told unusual stories. (of course TNG might not have done so well if that space science-fiction gap in the 1980's did not occur in the U.S.)

Buck became too serious, though, and the series had a drastic change of characters and settings. (but, it was really starting to find it's stride when it went away.)

Star Trek: TNG made it through, but they did have to find Picard a girlfriend! Ha!,Ha!,Ha!

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Farscape, man, I loved that show...
                          sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 11, 2014

^I wasn't referring to the number of seasons, rather the reason that many seasons stayed on the air.
                            Ah...I see now; I just re-read what you wrote and see I was reading it wrong. Whoops!

Regardless, I do believe in the 7-season limit for most shows.

--SKot
                            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

My fave Star Trek TV shows, from best to worst:

1. Star Trek original series
                              2. Deep Space 9
                              3. The Next Generation
                              4. Voyager
                              5. The animated series
                              6. Enterprise

Discovery, remains to be seen...

sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

IMO Voyager only ran for seven seasons because it was on Paramount's own network. I feel certain if it had been on any other it would've been axed long before that. Seven of Nine was definitely added to the mix to attract male viewers.
                                That's factually correct. Voyager was the linchpin of UPN. It literally guaranteed network carriage for the entire channel. It had the best channel ratings in a "Tallest Dwarf" way.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎