X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock

I just don't get how anyone can have a strong opinion one way or another on the prospective content of the show, since there have been little to no details revealed as of yet, and it hasn't even started production..
    Yeah, I'm not sure how something that only exists currently on paper has erupted so much fan umbrage either. I mean as a whole, not a single individual.

It'd be different if a season was out there but they are just ideas at this point.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

I just don't get how anyone can have a strong opinion one way or another on the prospective content of the show, since there have been little to no details revealed as of yet, and it hasn't even started production..
      agreed...I don't get it either.
      sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
        Career Member
        • Mar 11, 2014

I'm still keeping an open mind, but the turmoil before things even get started does worry me a bit.

The one thing I can be sure about, though, is not related to the content of the show but the delivery of it. People are not going to want to sign up for yet another digital subscription service just to get the show. In other countries they're making it available on Netflix. In the US, though, we are forced to pay for CBS' new service if we want to watch the show. I already have Netflix and Amazon and would prefer not to pay for multiple other services. I don't expect this to go well for them.

--SKot
        Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by SKotK
          I'm still keeping an open mind, but the turmoil before things even get started does worry me a bit.

The one thing I can be sure about, though, is not related to the content of the show but the delivery of it. People are not going to want to sign up for yet another digital subscription service just to get the show. In other countries they're making it available on Netflix. In the US, though, we are forced to pay for CBS' new service if we want to watch the show. I already have Netflix and Amazon and would prefer not to pay for multiple other services. I don't expect this to go well for them.

--SKot
          I completely agree with this, and I also have Amazon and Netflix. I don't want three. And will the series be available all at once like Netflix, or will it be one episode at a time, so we don't all sign up for a free trail, watch the series and bail? The quality would have to be exceptional, like TNG or TOS at their best, but definitely not anything like the other series, that were all hit or miss each episode. Wasn't it Voyager Paramount used to get people to watch UPN? How did that work out for both the show and network?

And yes, there seems to some amount of chaos getting this thing done right now. Paramount is a mess as a studio, that can't help. They had a good Star Trek movie this summer that did modestly well at best at the box office because in part they failed to promote it. Now this new series is off to a bad start before it even begins.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

A busy Bryan Fuller stepping back as Discovery show runner. And even tho production is slated to begin next month, the lead still hasn't been cast..

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/brya...bs-1201901398/
            I'm kind of glad that Fuller's devoting more time to American Gods. I'm much more excited about that series than another entry into the Trek Universe. American Gods seems much more aligned with his sensibilities.

it's not the first time they have been so last minute on a lead in a Trek show... remember they jettisoned the original Trek leads from the original Pilot, in favour of Shatner. Kate Mulgrew was an 11th hour replacement for Geneviève Bujold on Voyager.

and Stewart's casting in TNG sounds like a difficult choice as well...
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Discovery finally has its lead.. it's Sonequa Martin-Green, Sasha from The Walking Dead.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Discovery finally has its lead.. it's Sonequa Martin-Green, Sasha from The Walking Dead.

http://www.eonline.com/news/816045/s...a-martin-green
                Great casting, but that can't be good news for Sasha... Walking Dead shoots in Georgia, which makes me doubt that they could really accommodate her shooting both series.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by sprytel
                  Great casting, but that can't be good news for Sasha... Walking Dead shoots in Georgia, which makes me doubt that they could really accommodate her shooting both series.
                  I was starting to think that when the news was revealed.

She would make a good captain.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Well, this just killed any remaining interest I had in this.

Might as well call it The Lieutenant Uhura Show.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      Might as well call it The Lieutenant Uhura Show.
                      Why is that?

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Why is that?
                        Because they're both black female lieutenants? Or did I miss something? It could just as easily be the Nurse Chapel Show.
                        I don't think a show centered around Uhura would've lasted for three seasons, and I don't think this one will either. Despite it's female fans, Star Trek still has a mostly male dominated audience...there's a reason Voyager isn't that well liked. They introduced Seven of Nine just to spice things up for male viewers and even that couldn't save it, because there wasn't a male lead character for them to relate to.
                        Last edited by enyawd72; Dec 20, '16, 8:33 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I didn't catch the Lt. angle, I misread that she was Captain, so your comment confused me. Makes sense now.

My problem with Voyager was never Janeway, i just found it kinda dull. I know it brought a large amount of Women to Trek fandom, so it had it's benefits. It's not as male dominated as you think.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                            Persistent Member
                            • Apr 18, 2006

I think a lot of these choices would work better later in the Trek timeline, like after Undiscovered Country, when the Klingons and Federation are becoming allies. Even the new ship design looks like a Klingon/Federation hybrid. Setting his ten years before Kirk makes the diversity of the cast feel a little forced, even though it matches the philosophy of Star Trek, it ignores the fact that in the original series there were still subtle signs of inequality here and there, which had been worked out by the time of the Next Generation and following series. Either way, I want to see Star Trek return to TV, and i'd hate the new series to fail and kill any chances of a new Trek show for years to come. I am curious also on how you focus on a character besides the Captain and keep things interesting.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

She's a fantastic actress.

IIRC, the character isn't on the bridge. Unless it's changed, the viewpoint was to be how life on other decks was effected by decisions made from the bridge. So her interactions with Yeoh would come from her perspective, not the classical Trek omniscient viewpoint.

Now, are they trying to reference Uhura by having a hot black female in red dress uniform? Yep. So, yeah, in that sense the series would be "A day in the life of Uhura".

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                                I am curious also on how you focus on a character besides the Captain and keep things interesting.
                                It's an interesting choice but not unheard of as this new person becomes your gateway into this universe. Kind of how they brought back Doctor Who through Rose's eyes. The whole first season was more about her than him but as it wore on, you knew everything about the Doctor.

Also, isn't this show jumping around each season? So maybe next year it's all about the Captain?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎