X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
    My top two favorite Trek shows...the original and Deep Space 9.
    Mine are the original series and the animated series. Then 'Star Trek Continues'.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I like the original series, most of the movies and the animated show, that's about it.

The Continues stuff is fun and they should be proud but I don't get why everybody thinks it's the second coming. It's a decent tribute band.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

For me it's the Original Series, the Animated Series, then (some of) TNG.
        (DS9, Voyager and Enterprise I can take or leave to varying degrees. They all have several standout episodes amidst a lot of forgettable ones.)
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• SKotK
          Career Member
          • Mar 11, 2014

So far I'm really liking Discovery. I think I'm in the minority here for that, but despite my misgivings about CBS/Paramount I really do enjoy the show.

That said, here's some thoughts:

- It's so much more Abrams than anything else, but not as guilty of some of the worst Abrams excesses.
          - The Klingons seem a bit over-wrought and I wish they hadn't changed them yet again, but I do have to say they've finally made Klingons scary again. After Worf they just seemed like comical, aggressive clowns.
          - I really, really like the Saru character. That actor and that makeup sells it right off the bat.
          - Each show is like a movie production rather than a TV episode, kind of like Game of Thrones. It's impressive.
          - The opening credits were fine with me, although I think I'd prefer them to be more classic starfield style.
          - The captain of the Discovery is fantastic so far. He's a tough captain of a type we haven't seen before.
          - Sonequa Martin-Green is a little one-dimensional in her acting (having seen her in Walking Dead as well). It makes it tough to like her characters. But I'm beginning to like her character more as things unfold.

That's about it for now. I took the free subscription to CBS All-Access and then immediately cancelled after the first two-parter, and wrote comments explaining exactly why. But my girlfriend has a subscription, so we've been watching it on hers. So I'm both an unsubscriber and able to legally watch the show - best of both worlds. Hopefully CBS listens to the inevitable negative feedback about forcing people to use their streaming service in the US.

--SKot
          Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• SKotK
            Career Member
            • Mar 11, 2014

Well, they were on a roll there...but then last night's episode was a real turd.

*** SPOILERS ***
            - A forced and very unconvicing romance.
            - A vicious and murderous Harry Mudd.
            - Following up their DISCO shirts with...actual disco. The Bee Gees, even (okay, that was kind of funny).
            - Party with very contemporary-sounding techno-disco and hip-hop. Yeah, yeah, Beastie Boys and all that in the JJ films too, I know.
            - BEER PONG. 'Nuff said, that killed it for me right there.
            *** SPOILERS ***

I guess even the Original Series had some clunkers, and certainly TNG did as well, so I'm not definitely not giving up. I just hope this episode is the exception.

--SKot
            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

That one almost felt like an old Moore/Braga style episode in many respects.
              Except with added death and violence.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Unfortunately, my mother says that it has been renewed for a second season. That really sucks. Star Trek is filling the septic tank...

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I like the original series, most of the movies and the animated show, that's about it.

The Continues stuff is fun and they should be proud but I don't get why everybody thinks it's the second coming. It's a decent tribute band.

Ha! Well said. My feelings exactly

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

I enjoyed "Magic to Make the Sanest Man." I thought it was better than last week's mediocre episode. Nothing new there with the time loop, and the MacGuffin about Harry was doing it, but still, once I accepted that I had fun with the episode.

Mudd is far more diabolical than he was in TOS, and while that bugged me a bit, it's a different time. He's still flip and cavalier, and the sequence where he kept killing Lorca was pretty funny.

The romance didn't feel forced to me at all. They've been setting it up, and took a couple steps this episode. I'm good with that, and getting to know Burnham when she's not so morose all the time. Stamets is basically a new character now, so that part is a bit weird and I wish they'd address the change than just assuming he's spore happy.

Comment

• JRT!
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Sep 6, 2015

SO happy it got renewed for a second season!! But guess I'm the only one. I love this show and can't wait for more.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I’ll watch it when it’s free. I already pay $250 a month for premium X-1 cable, four DVR’s, internet, landline, Netflix...I’m not paying a dime more for one more show.
                        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                          I’ll watch it when it’s free. I already pay $250 a month for premium X-1 cable, four DVR’s, internet, landline, Netflix...I’m not paying a dime more for one more show.
                          how long till the fragmenting of streaming services implodes.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            how long till the fragmenting of streaming services implodes.
                            Yeah, that's a really good question and a fascination of mine.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I just have no interest in ANYTHING Trek lately

Been rediscovering my first Sci Fi love Lost In Space

Also been rewatching Blake's 7

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                                Yeah, that's a really good question and a fascination of mine.
                                I wonder if the upcoming Disney one will be the start of it, and probably another nail in Netflix coffin
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎