X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by apes3978
    ... there was nothing in the original "Star Wars" film that would even indicate that Vader was Luke's father...
    Uncle Owen's "That's what I'm afraid of." doesn't do it for you?

I suppose I can see why they did what they did with those two in "Empire", as a "cliff-hanger" of sorts ...
    It works... Vader's "obsessive search for Luke" (another OT motif that the TFA naysayers can look at as an ill-conceived OT "copy" embedded in TFA, subbing "uncle (Kylo)/whatever (Rey)" for "father") defines what was, not only the most revered film in the series, but the most revered cliffhanger in film history.

... the whole Leia/Luke sibling thing really felt tacked on...
    I initially felt the same---not just "tacked" but "piled" (as the "father/son") had happened in the directly preceding film). I grew more comfy with it over the years.

Hey----it's taken me a chunk of lifetime to accept that George Lucas was a hack as far as his writing skills and that all this stuff was improvised as he went.... but there was a lot of stuff that lined up nicely due to Lucas' initial efforts to involve others in writing the first two movies. This laid a bedrock that served the series well overall.

Does that mean that everyone will feel that way? Certainly not... but it does say something for the films/franchise as a whole.. and as separate entities.

SOTME is special because of what it represents as far as it's release so very early in the life of the SW franchise.

I think SOTME absolutely trounces SOTE...if only for not having something as hacky as the Xizor/Leia "Pepe Le Pew" subplot... now that brand of "romantic Leia pursuit" is the one that actually bothers me... not the PG "teen angst" goofball stuff in SW (New Hope) and SOTME.... AND ESB---all much more realistic.
    Last edited by huedell; Jul 28, '16, 5:35 PM. Reason: Some pretty notable syntax errors & omissions.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by huedell
      I think SOTME absolutely trounces SOTE...if only for not having something as hacky as the Xizor/Leia "Pepe Le Pew" subplot...
      I agree 100%.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎