Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The character of Chekov will not be recast...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

The character of Chekov will not be recast...

...in respect to the late Anton Yelchin...

Classy decision from JJ Abrahms and company.

Time for a brand new character to take over Chekov's seat...
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I find this very touching. To me, Chekov--like Rand--isn't gone, just aboard elsewhere. I hope we get to see another alien crew member, wouldn't Arax in CGI be great?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, if they brought in Arax or M'reth that would be cool. the cat lady was M'reth right? been a while since I watched the animated series

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

^ Lt. M'Ress, who replaced Uhura sometimes. Member Piecemaker did a great custom of her a while back.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Those two would be nice.

I personally would like a female character...Uhura needs to hang out with a girlfriend.

EMILY BLUNT!!!

As a slightly disguised alien crew member of some type...

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
            Those two would be nice.

I personally would like a female character...Uhura needs to hang out with a girlfriend.

EMILY BLUNT!!!

As a slightly disguised alien crew member of some type...

Agreed. The ENTERPRISE could use a few more good Helmswomen.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Pulchritude aside, I think another female crewmember is a great idea.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

That is the right decision. Yelchin's performance was so unique and so stylized, any recast would just be a follow up. It's a nice honor to say that character will forever be retired to Anton.

I think the idea of bringing in M'Ress is positively inspired!

Comment

• knight errant00
                  8 Inch Action Figure
                  • Nov 15, 2005

Although I respect the sentiment, I have to disagree. They've not retired Scotty, McCoy, or Spock after the deaths of their originating actors, and it feels like it overemphasizes the importance of new cast vs. the old -- the whole point of this reboot, in Abrams' own words, was that the characters are timeless and universal and more than just the actors who played them before.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

So the I guess this means they must be planning a fourth film then.
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                      I think it's safe to say they're "planning" a gazillion films.

Originally posted by knight errant00
                      Although I respect the sentiment, I have to disagree. They've not retired Scotty, McCoy, or Spock after the deaths of their originating actors, and it feels like it overemphasizes the importance of new cast vs. the old -- the whole point of this reboot, in Abrams' own words, was that the characters are timeless and universal and more than just the actors who played them before.
                      There's always the chance that in the follow-up to Beyond they'll kill off the Chekov character right off to kick off the story, and end it with the "same consciousness/different body" trope using a replacement actor...

STAR TREK IV v.2: The Casual Poking Around For Chekov
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Knight Errant, I don't think Abrams' gesture--and that's what it is, IMO--means that Chekov is retired or excised from the Star Trek franchise per se. In relation to other, new incarnations, I mean.

In the original film series, I doubt any recasting would have occurred, either, in similar circumstances.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^That was my thought. Chekov is retired for this series. And I think he should be. Good call. I was watching some Dubsmash videos on youtube with this crew, and it was very hard to see Yelchin cutting up and having fun, knowing he is now gone at such a young age.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                            yes, they recently announced an as yet untitled 4th film

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by knight errant00
                              They all died as senior citizens and not during production....total opposite of Anton Yelchin.

Besides, like others said...Chekov is retired for this incarnation of Star Trek...I'm sure down the line, in different productions...the character of Chekov will be back.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎