The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointed in METV's Trek Remaster choice...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 23, 2001

Disappointed in METV's Trek Remaster choice...

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in METV's choice of using the newer versions of the original Trek episodes. Tonight's episode was 'Metamorphosis' which was great...I was just a little ticked that they used the new 'New Special Effects' remasters.

I have to say that seeing the episode tonight made me nostalgic for the late 70's early 80's when my Dad would come home from work and we'd sit down in the dining room and the old Sylvania Superset was on Channel 11 ready for him to come thought the door and eat dinner 6PM - 7PM Saturday's was some of the BEST family time for me...That and Sunday morning between 11:30AM and 1:00 PM when me and Tom and my Dad would watch Abbott and Costello movie of the week on Channel 11. Man, I miss those days. Thanks METV for that feeling again...but ya gotta put the old Trek prints on instead of the new versions.
    "When not too many people can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears,
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
    By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
    Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I'm usually against any type of tinkering but I have to disagree regarding the remastered Trek. I think they did an absolutely amazing job of updating the original FX without altering the look or content. Shots remain just as I remember them, only better. It's like seeing it for the first time.

My remastered TOS blu-rays are one of my most prized. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i like the remastered versions as well. the new effects are subtle and most people probably would not even notice if you did not tell them. things like showing planets with land masses, instead of just being a colored ball in space. or the occasional shot showing a crewman at the controls of the shuttle as it is taking off. the bluray seasons have both versions on them if I am not mistaken

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I kind of hate to see the remasters replacing the originals in airing. I think they did a good job overall, especially on shows like "The Doomsday Machine" where the original effects didn't quite match the otherwise excellent drama.

But I HATE the sound on the new opening they did. Shatner's voice is too low and tinny, and the new or altered "AHHs" are just annoying.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Majere
          Banned
          • Apr 17, 2016

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          I have to say I was a bit disappointed in METV's choice of using the newer versions of the original Trek episodes. Tonight's episode was 'Metamorphosis' which was great...I was just a little ticked that they used the new 'New Special Effects' remasters.

I have to say that seeing the episode tonight made me nostalgic for the late 70's early 80's when my Dad would come home from work and we'd sit down in the dining room and the old Sylvania Superset was on Channel 11 ready for him to come thought the door and eat dinner 6PM - 7PM Saturday's was some of the BEST family time for me...That and Sunday morning between 11:30AM and 1:00 PM when me and Tom and my Dad would watch Abbott and Costello movie of the week on Channel 11. Man, I miss those days. Thanks METV for that feeling again...but ya gotta put the old Trek prints on instead of the new versions.
          If the network you're watching is airing in HD, they have to go with the remastered episodes. The original shots featuring the Enterprise were mostly stock footage, and badly degraded. HD made this problem worse. Paramount had to film these scenes again to get the show HD ready, and decided to fix/correct other errors along the way, and even "enhance" scenes originally affected by budget or time constraints.

I like the remastered versions, for the most part. Ditto for TNG. Paramount learned from Lucas's mistakes, I believe.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

My biggest problem with the remasters is the season 2 and 3 openings.

The woman who sings the theme is just too loud.

I have to laugh everytime I hear it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not watching in HD, and I have TOS in the original 2-episode DVD releases because I wanted something as close to the originals as possible. (I even posted asking about that here.)

That said, I think the "upgrades" are mostly well-done and respectful. The occasional expanded establishing shots are clever and serve the stories well. I will say "Metamorphosis" seemed garish, but I don't think that is typical. I don't mind the Me-TV airings for a general audience, because fans have so many other viewing options.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I'm wondering if it's possible CBS (which made the remasters) only allows TV stations to play the remasters --- kind of like George Lucas and his infatuation with the Special Editions.

When you think about it, the remasters sets the series apart from their former owner - NBC

Comment

• VintageMike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2004

I only watch METV sporadically, to keep it "special". For whatever reason I hadn't even noticed the remastered Trek when I watch them.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

As part of the remaster, or broadcast on MeTV, did they also edit the content?

I was watching "Trouble with Tribbles" and seems like they cut one of my favorite scenes where Kirk debriefs Scotty and the landing party after the brawl ("He compared the Enterprise to a garbage scow!" "...And THEN you hit him." "it was a matter of pride.").

Not sure if it was an "edit for time" thing, or if it was because of the Deep Space 9 riff on the scene... or if somehow I just missed it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                      I'm wondering if it's possible CBS (which made the remasters) only allows TV stations to play the remasters --- kind of like George Lucas and his infatuation with the Special Editions.

When you think about it, the remasters sets the series apart from their former owner - NBC
                      I was actually thinking the same thing--that only the remastered episodes were offered for syndication.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey

See, I don't mind them tinkering with the old stuff as long as I can get a copy of the original as well.
                        Lucas is the worst for this sort of thing. I want a copy of THX-1138 without his added nonsense. Nope, sorry.
                        Ridley Scott seems to like tinkering as well, although his Bladerunner: Final Cut additions were pretty subtle.
                        Meanwhile, he sanctioned a box set with six different versions of the film and said "Have at it, guys! Pick your fav."
                        That's how this sort of thing HAS to be done. I have a ton of affection for original Star Trek, and at some point,
                        no matter how sophisticated the additions are, I still am gonna wanna see that crummy Doomsday Machine chase the Enterprise around the block.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
                          As part of the remaster, or broadcast on MeTV, did they also edit the content?

I was watching "Trouble with Tribbles" and seems like they cut one of my favorite scenes where Kirk debriefs Scotty and the landing party after the brawl ("He compared the Enterprise to a garbage scow!" "...And THEN you hit him." "it was a matter of pride.").

Not sure if it was an "edit for time" thing, or if it was because of the Deep Space 9 riff on the scene... or if somehow I just missed it.
                          The MeTV Classic Treks ARE edited, but they don't use the old syndication edits.

One example, in Return of the Archons ... They scene where Reger tells Kirk to leave behind a possessed crewman saying "Landru will find us through him" was clipped on the old syndication cuts ... Mostly because Reger say's the exact same thing after the commercial break... On MeTV this scene is there in full.

Same with Court Martial's second, "I DEMAND IT !!!" (which this cut always bugged me)

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

I don't mind some of the spit and polishing that happened to TOS. It's kind of nice to see the ENTERPRISE in all her glory circling a planet that actually resembles a planet. Ditto with the larger establishing shots; it's good to see a more "realistic" planetscape or a city that's supposed to be bustling actually filled with people. I'll agree that whomever supervised the revised opening credits definitely needed to go back and re-record the "ah ahh ah ah ah ah ahhhh" vocals and turn them down an octave or two. And, if I get really nostalgic, I still have my original, untouched ST:TOS DVDs I can pop in. If memory serves, all this revamping/updating of the visual efx are a result of the DS9 episode "More Trouble, More Tribbles," in which we first saw a newly created CGI version of many of the classic elements. I remember being blown away when I saw that.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 23, 2001

I have almost all of the them on Laserdisc. Think I'm missing 3 or 4 Laserdiscs in the set. I can always go back to those. Like I said I just love the fact that it can bring me back to more than 30 years ago every Saturday at dinner time
                              "When not too many people can see we're all the same
                              And because of all their tears,
                              Their eyes can't hope to see
                              The beauty that surrounds them
                              Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
                              By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
                              Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰