X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

why gravity in little ships?

It dawned on me the other day that in Star Wars, Galactica, etc. That all of the fighter ships appear to have artificial gravity. Obviously because it is easier for the studios than to try and simulate weightlessness. So in the context of the stories is it A) the cockpit is a clean environment, so even though the actor's movements or clothing do not reflect that the pilot is weightless, we are to just assume so or B) we just assume that the rebellion or the empire invest the extra TLC for their pilots as they fly off to be cannon fodder?

Has it ever been explained anywhere, even in a novel?
    It's all good!
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

I don't think it has ever been explained in any realm of movie/TV space-flight. (Unless STAR TREK did? If anyone would I would guess it'd be them.)

The same way that (to paraphrase Heston) "English is the language of film", gravity in outer-space is also just a given.

Comment

• mitchedwards
      Mego Preservation Society
      • May 2, 2003

Compare the artificial gravity device to the personal computer.

Over time the computer has become cheaper faster, and smaller.
      I'm sure they same rule would apply to the artificial gravity device.

They have reached the level of development thats its probably a relatively simple device to add to any ship.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

I know the real answer to this is that it's lazy writing but there is a real necessity to artificial gravity in even the smallest of sci-fi spaceraft. Studies on the space shuttle have shown that long duration stays in outer space are detrimental to bone and muscle mass. When you live and work in space without gravity chances are when you get back planetside you will be weaker. In outfits like Colonial Warriors, Starfleet and The Empire & Rebellion that just couldn't be allowed I would guess. That would compromise the ability of their members to cary out duties.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Studies on the space shuttle have shown that long duration stays in outer space are detrimental to bone and muscle mass.

A problem in the small fighters would be keeping your equilibrium through a series of fast maneuvers. (Although that could be explained by a spacefaring race having become climatized to it while young.)

I don't have a problem with stuff like this; realism doesn't matter to me and a lot of weird tech scticks can be explained through psychology.... but it drives me nuts when you don't see any other applications of the tech. If you can establish single vector, monoplanular gravity, you could probably create antigravity/hover vehicles too. And antigrav lifters. Hoverboots would be cool too....

Don C.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎