Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Force Awakens Spoiler Slumber Party!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
    I'm just puzzled why there are a few people, not here but on some other sites, that are getting bent out of shape about this movie being too close to the original Star Wars. Did they really think that this movie was going to top the original trilogy??!!?? The nit picking is really starting to get a little bit pathetic. This is what I posted on the music site I go to:

I thought the movie was exactly what it need to be...bringing back Star Wars for the next generation of fans and not completely destroying it for the first generation of fans. As a comic book fan I feel completely alienated as an older reader because basically Marvel and DC have completely BLOWN UP whatever past there was with older readers. Marvel is trying...but DC will never get any of my money again. It has been completely lost by a bunch of Hollywood bean counters in the upper crust of Warner Brothers that have NEVER read a comic book in their life. Abrams has gone completely in the opposite direction of what the comic book companies have done. He actually does care about the fans of the ORIGINAL because he is a fan of the original. Good for Abrams and great for not just the new generation of fans, but for the ORIGINAL generation of fans. I don't feel like I've been cheated with this film at all. A lot of the nit picking to me is just the fact that not everyone was going to be pleased. Too them I say...it's never going to be perfect. Move on and try to enjoy the next 5 films.
    I agree.

If this film doesn't dazzle and excite you, then you should reconsider whether Star Wars is for you. Let's not forget that George Lucas (who I idolize) repeated himself storywise as early as Return of the Jedi's Second Death Star. George himself admitted that Prequel situations that mirrored Original Trilogy stories were like rhyming stanzas of poetry.

The internet has made us all a bit hyper critical. That, and growing up. I say, just go with it, let the storyteller tell you a story. If you don't like it, that's okay. No need to convince everyone else that they shouldn't like it either.

This film brims with vitality.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
      I agree.

If this film doesn't dazzle and excite you, then you should reconsider whether Star Wars is for you. Let's not forget that George Lucas (who I idolize) repeated himself storywise as early as Return of the Jedi's Second Death Star. George himself admitted that Prequel situations that mirrored Original Trilogy stories were like rhyming stanzas of poetry.

The internet has made us all a bit hyper critical. That, and growing up. I say, just go with it, let the storyteller tell you a story. If you don't like it, that's okay. No need to convince everyone else that they shouldn't like it either.

This film brims with vitality.
      ^^^ With complete fairness to how this movie made you, and others, feel (which I personally think is awesome), the sci-fi medium has been harvested enough that it's going to be hard to make something that is totally original and all consuming for every person (Something I DID consider before I expressed my initial thoughts). I'm elated that this movie pulled out those raw emotions from within you. I really enjoyed reading your posts that expressed those feelings. To me, that's what it's all about and why I'm always a little hesitant to say something contrary, because I'm not interested in raining on that parade. That being said, much of what people are reacting to right now is "that old feeling" which is completely fair, valid, and something worthy of being dialed into. The prequels never had that. Fair enough. But for those who wanted something a little more out of the story, I'm not sure exiling them is not an emotional reaction as well. Star Wars unfortunately has a unique way of pulling out the extremes in people (from all sides) because of it's long enduring legacy tied to our childhood. Remember too that the Phantom Menace was adored for quite a while before allot of folks landed on their feet and saw it for what it is. I don't see this film having that same kind of pull back because it executed allot of aspects in the movie experience nicely with regards to acting, pacing, and visual effects. But I absolutely see similar reactions where people forgive allot in the story for the emotion the film stylistically pulls out. That's great. But I DO think the movie will find a more rounded assessment in six to eight months when the dust has settled, emotions are cleared up, and people have gotten this out of their system. However, I hope this movie remains a special one for you because I LOVE reading those moments when movies talk to people on that level. There's nothing more magical than that and I appreciate you sharing that experience. Very neat.

Comment

• Godzilla
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 3, 2002

I'm going to avoid adding fire to a flame war as the tone is getting increasingly hostile for people who aren't 100% happy with this movie. It's pretty sad to see around here. Which is exactly why I don't post more.

I'm glad you're happy with a Star Wars movie with yet another "Death Star". I am not.
        Mortui Vivos Docent
        The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks, Tom... as always, well put. Again, I'll say what I said two posts ago, if you didn't like this movie, that's okay! Really! Godzilla, please don't misinterpret my tone as hostile... In fact, I agree the film has some problems. I wish they would've had George Lucas on as a consultant. But, hey, I'm a Star Wars guy.

And...

I like the Prequels.

All three of 'em. There. I said it.

Comment

• JRT!
            Museum Super Collector
            • Sep 6, 2015

Funnily enough,EVERYBODY in TFA returns for the next one. Yes,even Mr.Ford. Be fun to see how they resurrect him,unless it's some flashback stuff or whatever.

J-R!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I just read Ford got 35 million and percentage points of the profits to reprise Han Solo in Force Awakens. After listening to him moan about how he hated the character for the last 30 years, that just kinda rubs me the wrong way, you know.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                Thanks, Tom... as always, well put. Again, I'll say what I said two posts ago, if you didn't like this movie, that's okay! Really! Godzilla, please don't misinterpret my tone as hostile... In fact, I agree the film has some problems. I wish they would've had George Lucas on as a consultant. But, hey, I'm a Star Wars guy.

And...

I like the Prequels.

All three of 'em. There. I said it.
                That's one of many things I love about you Hedji. You just call it as you see it, but always have a wonderful and friendly way of expressing it. I wish I could have watched this movie with you. I think we would all like to feel that way about each of these movies in the series. You're in a good place my friend.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

partial answers to burning questions (seems to be sourced from the new official continuity books etc)
                  Star Wars: The Force Awakens leaves us with many questions and mysteries. Join me as I try to answer and theorize about the Force Awakens questions.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                    I'm glad the old EU is now defunct as there was so much garbage churned out in those novels and comics that it just got tiresome.

SPOILERS...

I guess Finn only lasts as long as he does in the brief duel with Kylo because Kylo is injured at that point from Chewie's bowcaster bolt, plus FO Stormtroopers do have some training with melee weapons, albeit riot control batons, as we see from the battle between Finn and the Stormtrooper earlier in the movie... in which he loses again.
                    Plus it seems that Kylo is almost toying with him for most of that confrontation.
                    Seems the only explanation as to why a non Force user can engage in a lightsaber duel... kind of like the MagnaGuards in Episode III.
                    Thank you. This is a much better explanation than what was being posted on facebook. I was hoping they werent that careless with the screen play.

For the record, I loved Revenge of the Sith and liked the first two. Lucas just needed a good co-writer is all and probably should have had a co-director to. (Everyone says he doesnt understand how to work with actors.) And he really should have been a consultant.

Comment

• megoscott
                      Founding Partner
                      • Nov 17, 2006

Captain Phasma was a bit of a pushover, wasn't she?
                      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I just read Ford got 35 million and percentage points of the profits to reprise Han Solo in Force Awakens. After listening to him moan about how he hated the character for the last 30 years, that just kinda rubs me the wrong way, you know.
                        I agree 1000%. That act got old long ago. To Mr Ford: Stop it already. It's the one movie who got you out of working at carpentry for a living. Now you are a multimillionaire because of Star Wars. Stop the pretentious thespian act. Embrace it like Mark Hamill does. After all, you are not a scientist devoting your entire life trying to find the cure for cancer, it's just acting, get over yourself. Now go back to your gigantic mansion made from Star Wars blood money...and shut your trap already.

Sincerely, a big fan...

sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          I thought it weird that when they got back to Leia, Chewie just walks right past her with no acknowledgement at all.
                          Yeah, that part surprised me, I was expecting an emotional moment between the two, but nothing. Maybe poor Chewie was still in shock.

I knew that I wouldn't get a chance to see this until Sunday, so I stayed away from the internet and social media for the last few days, thus I went into the film completely spoiler free. Unfortunately, that's what you have to do these days if you want to walk into a film with no idea what will happen in it.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Here's what I read about Ford's salary as well as the others.

Ford’s galactic payday is based on a $25 million upfront payment – placing the 73-year-old star in the very top echelon of Hollywood earners – backed up by a 0.5% share of the film’s gross earnings, which could be worth another $9 million if the film hits $2 billion at the global box office. The basic figure is more than 56 times the $450,000 flat fee received by British newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley – who will also start to receive a cut once the film grosses $1 billion worldwide – and crucially, 17 times the $1.5 million sum Carrie Fisher is due to receive for returning to the role of Leia Organa

Let's be honest, Harrison Ford is the biggest star here compared with the rest of them. Considering his attitude over the years about Solo it probably did take quite a bit of $$ to bring him on board, but good for him.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Star Wars has always needed Harrison Ford more than Harrison Ford has needed Star Wars.
                              The man deserves the highest respect for keeping his priotities in order.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀