X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

The Martian

Just came back from seeing the Martian with the whole family. I thought it was really good. I had enjoyed the book and they obviously had to condense a lot of it to fit into a 2 hour movie, but I thought it worked really well. It was refreshing to see a bunch of component professionals dealing with misfortunes instead of a bunch of crazy action heroes like most science fiction movies.
    sigpic LaserMego
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I caught it on Friday Evening. I thought it was a great movie and I think I may try to catch it again this week.

I read the book a couple of weeks ago and thought the movie did as good a job as possible staying faithful to the book. Changes were minor. You like Watney and are pulling for him all the way through the book and that comes through in the movie, as well. I certainly enjoyed the science and problem-solving that was deeper and more detailed in the book, but I can see how that would have made the runtime SIGNIFICANTLY longer (as you pointed out) and taken away from the action and pacing that made the movie enjoyable. I do like that they tacked on the follow up at the end of the movie. Even though that wasn't part of the book, I think it was faithful to the spirit of the book and its characters and it was nice to get a little closure to the story.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

This is a movie I'm definitely planning on seeing theatrically. Looks too good to pass by.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
        Career Member
        • Jul 30, 2012

Haven't read the book, but the movie was great. Ridley Scott continues to be a Sci-Fi god. Not the God, but a god.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I'm check it out tomorrow, Wednesday...that's my movie day...
          sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Just finished watching THE MARTIAN on HBO since I didn't get a chance to see it theatrically. Gotta say it was a damn fine film with some superb acting and some gorgeous cinematography. This definitely falls into the realm of "the thinking man's" science fiction, but it was Ridley Scott so somehow, that doesn't surprise me. He managed to give the film just the right blend of suspense, pathos, action and even a bit of humour. This is definitely one I'll be adding to the Bluray collection.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

The first Scott film in decades that really impressed me. It was great, except for the finale which was seriously OTT. The scene were he travels from his pod to safety is ridiculously absent of hard science, I'm sure astronauts were laughing their heads off. Cutting a hole in his glove and exactly piloting himself with his finger? Come on!

But apart from that, an excellent movie, you really care about this man and his survival. Damon is excellent.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎