X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Question for Doctor Who fans

Was just watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and noticed something I never thought of before.

Wonder if a certain Doctor's look was at least subconsciously partially inspired by Dick Van Dyke's clown ?

m
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

ha ha, that's funny. Van Dyke would have made a better doctor than Collin Baker though

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Wouldn't surprise me.
      Colin Baker's appalling get up has to be the worst DW costume ever, closely followed by Sylvester McCoy's ridiculous gear.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I honestly have never been able to sit through an entire Baker or McCoy episode, they are just to goofy

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Baker absolutely hated his outfit, calling it "rainbow vomit". He wanted what Eccleston ended up wearing, a classic black leather jacket.
          I loved Baker's portrayal, very much a "semi-failed" regeneration, and he was always interesting to watch.
          But the writing during his era was poor, as were the production values.
          Not the man's fault...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            I honestly have never been able to sit through an entire Baker or McCoy episode, they are just to goofy
            Have you ever seen Mark of the Rani (Colin episode) ?
            Last edited by Mikey; Mar 14, '15, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

So much nightmare fuel in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang....

I like Colin Baker as a person but I do agree with Eric Saward's criticism he was wrong for the Doctor.

McCoy's first season is just as bad as Baker's tenure but he got the creative freedom to turn the character around, would have liked to have seen what Baker would have done given the same choice.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

no, I have never seen that episode Mike.

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

Colin Baker got a raw deal during his brief tenure. That ridiculous outfit and bad writing doomed his interesting portrayal of the Doctor.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                    To Fear is Not Logical...
                    • Feb 17, 2008

How are the Big Finish audio dramas with Colin Baker? I keep on meaning to check out some of those stories.
                    It's all good!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

you are so right Brian. that child snatcher used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

on the other hand, Truly Scrumptious, truly was,

Comment

• DC_Guy
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Sep 18, 2008

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                        How are the Big Finish audio dramas with Colin Baker? I keep on meaning to check out some of those stories.
                        They are beyond superb. The Sixth Doctor audios took everything that didn't work for the character during his TV reign and fixed it, making Colin Baker the brilliant Doctor we always knew he could be. (It doesn't hurt that you can't see his costume on audio.) Seriously, do yourself a favor and check his audios out - you'll be so glad you did.

Comment

• mhackley
                          • May 27, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy

I like Colin Baker as a person but I do agree with Eric Saward's criticism he was wrong for the Doctor.

McCoy's first season is just as bad as Baker's tenure but he got the creative freedom to turn the character around, would have liked to have seen what Baker would have done given the same choice.
                          I will agree that Colin was not my favorite Doctor, but I kind of disagree with you on this. I feel Eric Saward was PASSING THE BUCK when it came to his part in an "awkward" era of Doctor Who. Eric Saward, being the script editor, was directly responsible for the quality of the stories during the 6th Doctor's era. During the magazine interview where he criticizes Colin ( I believe it was in STARLOG, but I could be mistaken), it seems as though he is desperately trying to cover his own mistakes rather than own up to them.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎