Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steven Moffat: the companion is the main character in Doctor Who, not the Doctor

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Steven Moffat: the companion is the main character in Doctor Who, not the Doctor

Kind'a no surprise there when Amy Pond's narration was the opener for her tenure w/the Doctor:

Your UK TV and radio guide to what's on TV and on demand plus all the latest entertainment, soap, film and drama news and reviews from Radio Times.
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

For a while, the show felt like "Amy Pond and her goofy sidekick, the Doctor".
    It comes as no surprise that he'd say that.

If there is one constant in the series, it's the Tardis. That never changes. So I'd put that first, if you even need to make a list of "who comes first" to begin with.

I think Moffat is a good writer, badly in need of a strict story editor and producer, both telling him when to it's time to shut up.

I'll never forget the interview with Matt Smith, saying that he didn't want to leave the show, but "Moffat felt it was time". Smith had some good years left in him, and I've never seen a producer kick out an actor.
    I'm pretty sure that Moffat, in his final story, will go out with a bang, like destroying the Tardis or something.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

If the companion is the main character,why have there been more of them than Doctors?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

That article is two and a half years old. I think they should go a new direction and create some new cool enemies for the Doctor.
        Last edited by LonnieFisher; Dec 25, '14, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

It's been that way since the program came back in 2005. It's hardly news.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by phil
            It's been that way since the program came back in 2005. It's hardly news.
            I dunno if i'd blame just the New Series

I remember back in the day people complaining Dr Who is becoming the Ace Show

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

I'm not just blaming the new series but they have taken it too far.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Moffat and Smith were terrible. Show became almost unwatchable. Capaldi has been brilliant though, so Moffats adjusted and is writing better stuff. Still a bit meta, but Capaldi has managed to play it right. Smiths run just blew.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  If the companion is the main character,why have there been more of them than Doctors?
                  Because, if you're gonna change either of the two up at all, it would HAVE to be the companion FIRST.

That would be for the same reason you'd switch out the "Marty McFly" of the BTTF franchise rather than the one who is the "wise tech master" Doc Brown (a stock character who allows the REAL protagonist of the story to rise to the occasion). As far as why they've changed Doctors at ALL... well, "time passes" (see Batman, Tarzan, Lone Ranger, etc.)

Dr. Who is one rare franchise where they explain away different looking Dr.s with a certain mythology that accounts for that----and I hear the James Bond franchise is morphing into something similar (as in there's no "one" Bond---just an eternal series of Mystery Men taking the position of Agent Double Oh Seven).
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

The idea of Doctor Who is he's very mysterious -- only giving slight tidbits on his history each season.

Centering on companions is a good thing because it distracts giving too much info on the Doctor too soon.

Once we find out who Doctor Who is, there's no more "Doctor Who"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎