X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

1976 Tomorrow show with 3 TOS stars and Harlan Ellison

I have this on VHS somewhere, a fun watch, especially when Ellison starts up. Comes in 4 parts. You won't believe how much cigarette smoke is in some shots.

YouTube - Tom Snyder's Show - 3 Star Trek cast members pt 1
    Last edited by mego73; Mar 29, '08, 12:06 AM.

[email protected]
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

I was nine years old then, and I asked my mom if I could stay up to see it. I don't know why, but she said yes! I think I was mostly bored (and obviously struggling to keep my eyes open), but I do remember a joke about there being no bathrooms on the Enterprise so they had to aim a phaser very carefully.
    It's all good!

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

This is great!

Looks like Ellison created the Mullet, along with the many other things he credits himself with doing. I kept hoping Doohan would backhand him!
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

"I kept hoping Doohan would backhand him!"

That would have been sweet to watch!!!
        He(Doohan) sure looked like he was getting agitated by Ellison alright.
        Thanks for the link I had never seen these before that was cool.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Ellison could probably benefit from a backhand, I like a lot of what he has to say but also find him far too in love with himself.

I love the convention guy's Dorothy Hammil haircut.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

I know now the complete show is not there (maybe the guy will post another part in the future). I remember De Kelley trying to work the phaser that the convention guy brought.

[email protected]

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

That brings back memories.........

I used to have that on VHS along with Kevin Pollack doing Shat.

I think I bought it from Star Tech of Tenn.

Good guys, that Star Tech.
              They were really cool..

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by mego73
                I know now the complete show is not there (maybe the guy will post another part in the future). I remember De Kelley trying to work the phaser that the convention guy brought.
                Funny I watched all five parts to the you tube link this morning.And de was working the phaser as well as his smoke....
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

That was a fun watch. But Harlan Ellison realy is a jerk. I used to hate his commentaries on the show "Sci-Fi Buzz" when the Sci-Fi Channel first began. But it's nice to know that James Doohan (RIP) was right about this show being a classic. It was only a few years off the air and was considered a classic then. And look what it's become now.

Thanks for sharing that.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

Oh I didn't see that there was a part 5, cool!

BTW, the pompous elitism of the fictional no talent writer Garth Marenghi reminded me of Harlan Ellison (and director William Friedkin)

Garth Marenghi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi27s_Darkplace

Now, seeing, again Harlan Ellison in 1976, he reminds me even more of Garth Marenghi. Only, I have to concede Ellison is talented but no where near as talented enough to justify his disposition.

And Jimmy Doohan was quite the prophet in 1976, not ony talking about the series being a classic but also predicting the series of Star Trek movies which still seemed like a pipe dream in 1976.
                    Last edited by mego73; Mar 29, '08, 4:25 PM.

[email protected]

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                      Pat Troughton in disguise
                      • Nov 21, 2007

Garth Marenghi IS talented....I mean have you never watched Dark place????? Ahead of it's time and no wonder they never released it in the 80's
                      Mike stared in disbelief as his hands fell off. From them protruded millions of maggots. Maggots!? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. ...Maggots. All over the post office floor, in Leytonstone.
                      They just don't write em like that anymore
                      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 10, 2006

Originally posted by mego73

And Jimmy Doohan was quite the prophet in 1976, not ony talking about the series being a classic but also predicting the series of Star Trek movies which still seemed like a pipe dream in 1976.
                        Not as much as you think, Around 75/76 there was plans for another Star trek live action series but it fell threw, But some of the script ideas made it into STAR TREK TMP

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
                          Garth Marenghi IS talented....I mean have you never watched Dark place????? Ahead of it's time and no wonder they never released it in the 80's
                          Mike stared in disbelief as his hands fell off. From them protruded millions of maggots. Maggots!? Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. Maggots. ...Maggots. All over the post office floor, in Leytonstone.
                          They just don't write em like that anymore
                          I'd never heard of Marenghi before, that show is brilliant.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego73
                            Printed paperboard Tiger
                            • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I'd never heard of Marenghi before, that show is brilliant.
                            This faux article on Marenghi makes me wonder if they actually used Ellison as a model

'I hereby vow never to work in TV again' | | guardian.co.uk Arts

[email protected]

Comment

• Captain
                              Fighting the good fight!
                              • Jun 17, 2001

Actually, 75/76 was before the tv series Phase II came up. At this time they had two different movies that had been, or were in the works. The first started up in 74 and was called "Planet of the Titans"....its the story Ellison is talking about. By 76 the Titans idea was scrapped, and Roddenberry was pushing for a script he wrote called "The God Thing", the plot of which Deforest Kelley brought up....it got a laugh instead of a "hey thats a great idea" from Tom.Its funny as the story was very similar to Star Trek 5...a plot line Roddenberry wouldnt support when Shatner and Benett pitched it to him.
                              There were several other ideas thrown around (one included the universe being swallowed by a black hole) but these two story treatments were the only two that had any kind of preproduction work behind them....at least according to Roddenberry's biographies and books like PHASE II the lost series.

Paramount was commited to a cheapie film, shot in England, during the 74-76 period but a story could never be decided upon. In late 76 it was decided Trek couldnt be translated to film, and things were shelved for a couple of months until Paramount decided to put its own network together.... The Phase II concept came out of that, which worked itself into the Motion Picture.
                              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎