Has anyone seen this before? I really don't know if it's true or not:
JULY 20, 2011
In an acting master class at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, Christopher Eccleston was asked why he left a such a high paid job as Doctor Who. He responded:
的 left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn稚 agree with the way things were being run. I didn稚 like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.
的 thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of sh-t. I知 not being funny about that. I didn稚 want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and� we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.
的f you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure � if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you池e knackered. You致e got to keep something back, for yourself, because it値l be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you値l become� you致e got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.
添ou know, it痴 easy to find a job when you致e got no morals, you致e got nothing to be compromised, you can go, 塑eah, yeah. That doesn稚 matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won稚 say anything about it�. But then when that director comes to you and says 選 think you should play it like this� you致e surely got to go 践ow can I respect you, when you behave like that?�
鉄o, that痴 why I left. My face didn稚 fit and I知 sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I致e always acted for adults and then suddenly you池e acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bullsh-tted. It痴 either good, or it痴 bad. They don稚 schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.�
B.W reporter Martyn
JULY 20, 2011
In an acting master class at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, Christopher Eccleston was asked why he left a such a high paid job as Doctor Who. He responded:
的 left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn稚 agree with the way things were being run. I didn稚 like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.
的 thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of sh-t. I知 not being funny about that. I didn稚 want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and� we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.
的f you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure � if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you池e knackered. You致e got to keep something back, for yourself, because it値l be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you値l become� you致e got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.
添ou know, it痴 easy to find a job when you致e got no morals, you致e got nothing to be compromised, you can go, 塑eah, yeah. That doesn稚 matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won稚 say anything about it�. But then when that director comes to you and says 選 think you should play it like this� you致e surely got to go 践ow can I respect you, when you behave like that?�
鉄o, that痴 why I left. My face didn稚 fit and I知 sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I致e always acted for adults and then suddenly you池e acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bullsh-tted. It痴 either good, or it痴 bad. They don稚 schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.�
B.W reporter Martyn




Comment