Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

It doesn't make sense that the BBC would cancel it already, not with the kind
    of merchandising money they make and will make from it.

The series has had other producers in the past. I would think the series could
    survive quite nicely without Russell T. Davies. Better he leaves early then hang around forever and bury the show like John Nathan-Turner.

Comment

• danadoll
      Micronaut Nut!
      • Apr 11, 2005

I agree with...It's highly illogical to end the series just because the current producer wants to leave.

BTW...I also wrote a polite letter to the BBC about it.

Dana
      Last edited by danadoll; Jun 5, '07, 1:20 AM.
      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• drwhofan74
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by YANOULI
        I can't work out why he berates the new Who yet totally embraces the Cushing movies which are blatant remakes.
        No Doubt. I find it difficult to support any movie in which the Doctor actually introduces himself as "Doctor Who!" Not only are they blatant remakes, but they are blantant remakes by someone who really knew nothing about the original storyline.

I will be heartbroken if the show does get cancelled so soon. This new series (not to mention Torchwood) has consistantly won Davies and BBC Wales a lot of awards and recognition. I don't understand why they would cut that short. But, then again, I got out of the film industry because that type of "logic" is pervasive. (i.e. Family Guy, Futurama... terrific shows that got canceled too soon and were brought back by fans... Futurama to come. I think Who would definately fall in that category. As long as there are fans, there is hope for the show.)
        sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Interesting topic ........

A Doctor Who movie fan once told me his take on the Cushing movies ......

He said they very well could fit in as canon Classic Series fodder if you take them the right way.

A few examples he mentioned .......

"Doctor Who" could be an alias name the Doctor's using on Earth--- as did Susan FOREMAN on the Classic Series.

Making Cushing still a possible Time Lord in hiding

The Doctor TOLD them he built the TARDIS .....

Would he really tell people I STOLE THIS TIME MACHINE ?

He made some pretty good points .....
          But I tend to believe what I see and not what might be.

On the flip side ........
          I could argue Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden is a Timelord, but he just hasn't ever told Ed Norton

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by type1kirk
            I could argue Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden is a Timelord, but he just hasn't ever told Ed Norton
            LOL...So those threats to send Alice to the moon were real....Hmmmm.

Dana

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by drwhofan74
              I will be heartbroken if the show does get cancelled so soon. This new series (not to mention Torchwood) has consistantly won Davies and BBC Wales a lot of awards and recognition. I don't understand why they would cut that short. But, then again, I got out of the film industry because that type of "logic" is pervasive. (i.e. Family Guy, Futurama... terrific shows that got canceled too soon and were brought back by fans... Futurama to come. I think Who would definately fall in that category. As long as there are fans, there is hope for the show.)
              I'll be pretty bummed too...The new series is probably even snaring new fans too...More new generations who will enjoy Who (hopefully both old and new series).

Dana

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Something I just thought of ........

conspiracy theory theorists have a field day with this one ....

RTD could have leaked this to the Sun on purpose as a possible MO-MONEY power-play after the conclusion of season-4.

Comment

• YANOULI
                  Part-Time Timelord
                  • Jan 9, 2006

I don't think it's a ploy by RTD as he did say in an interview that he would be leaving as producer after this series.

BTW, in an interview at some TV awards here in the UK, Freema has catergorically denied that she had been sacked from the show and will continue to play Martha.
                  " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Chris DVM
                    Veterinarian Member
                    • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
                    I have always been a big fan of the original series and the many people that played the Doctor, some more than others, of course. Never saw the American Dr. Who that came out 4 or so years ago. The new series, IMO, has been great - utilizing the best of the old and the best newer technologies/writing has to offer.
                    That said, I hope that the franchise is bigger than just one person or team and someone can continue the series. I look at Dr. Who no differently than the many spin-offs of Star Trek. Many people loved the newer ones more than the original, some loved one and hated another. However, they took the basic universe/story-line premise of the original and added their own spin. I really liked all variations of Star Trek for different reasons. Sometimes it took me a couple of seasons to 'click' with it, but they all had many good points.
                    Same with Dr. Who - as a whole, I think that it is a different show than the original, but as it's own entity I really enjoy it.
                    Chris DVM
                    "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Chris...Please don't give "you-know-who" any more ammunition (or encouragement for his bad behaviour)...Tanks.

Dana

Comment

• YANOULI
                        Part-Time Timelord
                        • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                        Interesting topic ........

"Doctor Who" could be an alias name the Doctor's using on Earth--- as did Susan FOREMAN on the Classic Series.
                        The Doctor already has an alias - Dr John Smith, which has been used on screen by a few of his incarnations.

A Jelly Baby to the person, who can tell me who first came up with it ( on screen )

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

I'm thinking it was when the third Doctor was stuck on Earth? I don't know if I'm recalling that correctly...During "The Time Warrior" episode?

As for who came up with it...Sarah Jane? The Doctor? I don't know...

Dana

Comment

• YANOULI
                            Part-Time Timelord
                            • Jan 9, 2006

Nope

it was before that
                            Last edited by YANOULI; Jun 9, '07, 9:40 AM.

Comment

• drwhofan74
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by YANOULI
                              The Doctor already has an alias - Dr John Smith, which has been used on screen by a few of his incarnations.

A Jelly Baby to the person, who can tell me who first came up with it ( on screen )
                              I think the earliest reference I have seen to it is Pertwee in Spearhead from Space... But I have only seen a handful of Throughton and Hartnell episodes so I am not sure...
                              sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• YANOULI
                                Part-Time Timelord
                                • Jan 9, 2006

The name was first used by Jamie in the Troughton story " the Wheel in space ".

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎