Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek's box office not so great...trailer to blame?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    I think the real story here is that Fast & Furious 6 did incredible business, and most importantly, The Hangover Part III only did about half the business of the previous film. Maybe this will make the folks at Paramount appreciate Trek keeping it's audience.

Chris
    Good points! Lets at least hope Paramount reconsiders future services from whoever marketed Trek. Because from everything I've heard, they did it an enormous disservice.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
      To Fear is Not Logical...
      • Feb 17, 2008

My wife and I saw it this weekend. We really liked it and did not think the trailer did it justice at all. I th think the "secrecy" of the villain did damage too.
      It's all good!

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
        Career Member
        • Jul 30, 2012

I had already figured out who the villain was before I saw the film. Saw the film today, so there's another 8 bucks for Paramount, even though they actually don't get full amount of dollars made. They have to split that with the exhibitors. I liked the Wraith Of Kahn twist. (spoiler alert) I was bummed to see Pike meet his demise, though. Kirk really ****ed him off early in the film. All in all, I think it's safe to say that SW Episode VII is in good hands with JJ Abrams directing based on what he's done with ST 2009 and Into Darkness. Hurry up and get here, 2015.

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

I think the title alone caused people to consider not going. What the hell does Into Darkness mean? Having seen the film it is as vague as titling a film Phantom Menace. You're not describing anything people can latch on to. In most of the other film titles you have an inkling of what to expect and it motivates you to see the film: Wrath of Khan, Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi. It's Abrams's insane devotion to secrecy to try and reveal the identity of the film's villain as a surprise. Star Trek II told you up front and you knew it was going to be game on when Kirk and Khan clashed. In Abrams film it was more like ho-hum. There was no clash as in the classic film. How could he think his choice of villain/story could ever compete?
          Last edited by johnmiic; Jun 7, '13, 9:08 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Except, JJ really didn't keep it much of a secret. I was avoiding spoilers, and yet the cat was still out of the bag through many media outlets. I hope he keeps Star Wars secrets better. It wasn't a surprise, and it wasn't done well, IMO.
            Last edited by Hedji; Jun 7, '13, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i thought the movie was great. it is making plenty of money so there will certainly be a sequel

i think the lack of well made toys for the franchise hurts it. kids don't have anyting to latch onto like they do with Star Wars and the plethora of figures out there

Comment

• torgospizza
                Theocrat of Pan Tang
                • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by johnmiic
                What the hell does Into Darkness mean?
                I'm puzzled, too--it really only applies to the last couple minutes of the movie wherein it lays out that they're beginning their five year mission of exploration.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

What the hell does Into Darkness mean?
                  I'm puzzled, too--it really only applies to the last couple minutes of the movie wherein it lays out that they're beginning their five year mission of exploration.

Apparently it's supposed to refer to the dawning age of heightened mistrust, paranoia and conflict that began with the destruction of Vulcan and has continued with the increased activity of Section 31 and the various "black ops" the Federation has initiated, and also the increased conflict with other races.

__
                  Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 8, '13, 5:52 AM.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• boss
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 18, 2003

Saw it last night... meh.
                    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• acrovader
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2011

Star Trek has never really set the B.O. on fire. 'The Voyage Home' and 'First Contact' were surprise hits, but nothing for the record books. I think there is a stigma that comes with Star Trek. There are many people that just won't go to see Star Trek. Star Trek is iconic sci-fi, but has limited appeal. This movie needed a really memorable villain like how the Joker was to The Dark Knight. Nonetheless, I have to wonder about whether there will be many more of these Nu Star Trek films. Paramount needs to fire the screenwriters and hire new ones for the next film. While I liked Into Darkness, it sort of have has a lazy storyline and a flimsy villain. The Kahn in 'Wrath Of Kahn' is so much better than the one in 'Into Darkness'.
                      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Boshek
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 26, 2011

I saw it today with my brother. I feel that the Khan secret was one of the worst kept ones in recent movies; I knew he was going to be Khan when they were still filming. The Alice Eve bra and panties scene was way overblown; she was getting changed for maybe three seconds? And it had a point of establishing a relationship between she and Kirk.

Did anyone else notice that General Marcus's entire crew apparently died with not remorse?

I really liked the movie and I can't wait until the next one ... Or a new tv series.
                        Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I bet Paramount is just fine with Trek's box office with Will Smith's After Earth is tanking harder than John Carter.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• mego73
                            Printed paperboard Tiger
                            • Aug 1, 2003

Star Trek ID just beat the worldwide gross of Trek 2009 and still has other places it has not yet opened, like Japan.

[email protected]

Comment

• Antonio
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jun 16, 2004

I finally saw the movie last night as it is in few theaters in NYC. My inlaws watched our 13 month old Ashley. This is actually thre 1st movie we have seen in a theater since Ashley was born. I really liked it. When I heard the number 72 I realized who the villian was. I would habve liked a little less of the jumping around, and slightly more exploration. And enough of the cliched war mongering admiral storyline. That being said, I really liked it. I think the 4 year gap between movies may have hurt the franchise a bit. I hope it warrants a sequel which suposedly is happening.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎