Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now, after seeing the new Star Trek movie..has your feelings changed about Episode 7?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Now, after seeing the new Star Trek movie..has your feelings changed about Episode 7?

I'm still excited about J.J. directing the new Star Wars movie, but I hope he can keep the editing and cinematography in line with the previous SW movies and not have them look like a Bourne movie.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think it could be in much better hands, he certainly knows pacing.

His style of directing is actually better suited to Star Wars.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

What Brian said is apparently true according to all I've gleaned from the Net... however, it doesn't mean everything else BESIDES the pacing won't rub me the wrong way.

The visual look of the first Trek (I refuse to go see the new Darkness one) certainly DID rub me the wrong way, but I think think that has more to do with that I didn't like the script. I have hope that Abrams' "modern Bournesque" visual style in SW7 will be supported by a script I like better than the debut new Trek because, if not, people can continue to claim how suited Abrams is for Star Wars (Brian ain't the first, he's one of hundreds and hundreds that have married Abrams w/Star Wars style), but I'll still scratch my head at the end of the day.

As always, with me personally, it's 90 percent about "the script" and if I like the dang thing.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Oddly enough, I am excited about J.J. Abrams directing the new Star Wars movie.

1) At least the writers will make an original story set in the Star Wars Universe.
        2) J.J. Abrams likes to copy old movies and imitate other directors.
        This might actually help, because it could look and feel like a Star Wars movie.

However, if it's true about J.J. Abrams wanting to stop all original series Star Trek merchandise, so that he could greedily sell only his merchandise, then he should be fined or denounced in some way.

I think he wants all the merchandise rights to Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 as well.

As long as he don't claim or ban Original Trilogy, Clone Wars, and Prequel Trilogy
        merchandise, it should be fine, and he could get his piece of the action.

J.J. Abrams might be delusional enough to think he created everything, but we all shall see what happens.

P.S. What ever happened to the days when we could get a new or relatively unknown director to make a movie? Hand them the script, explain what the makers are going for and the director does his job, like any other job of that scale, then we as an audience just gets surprised by it.

The internet, although awesome, can hurt movie creativity at times.
        Last edited by Klosterheim; May 19, '13, 3:43 PM. Reason: post script

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I'm nervous. Just saw Into Darkness, and I really felt a bit bombarded by the camera, pacing, and editing. I'm beginning to feel like JJ Abrams is very capable of delivering a Hot Mess with Episode 7. JJ's storytelling style is very busy and confusing. Star Wars, for all its eye candy and activity on screen, has always been straightforward, yet exciting visual storytelling.
          Last edited by Hedji; May 19, '13, 4:05 PM.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
            I'm nervous. Just saw Into Darkness, and I really felt a bit bombarded by the camera, pacing, and editing. I'm beginning to feel like JJ Abrams is very capable of delivering a Hot Mess with Episode 7. JJ's storytelling style is very busy and confusing. Star Wars, for all its eye candy and activity on screen, has always been straightforward, yet exciting visual storytelling.
            You certainly tapped into my fears that my problem with the debut new Star Trek wasn't "just the script".... maybe it wasn't "just that".

I too, felt notably lost during the Trek viewing. I chalked that up to a mediocre/hacky script. Maybe it was just as offensive to me in a visual/pacing sense, too, regardless of the script.

I get the feeling that Abrams' is SO "shock and awe" that I could literally be watching the original SW trio of Ford, Hammil and Fisher, and be thinking "What the heck is going on?" That wouldn't just be frustrating, it'd just be plain weird.
            Last edited by huedell; May 19, '13, 6:33 PM.
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I think he wants all the merchandise rights to Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 as well. As long as he don't claim or ban Original Trilogy, Clone Wars, and Prequel Trilogy
              merchandise, it should be fine, and he could get his piece of the action.

Don't worry, Abrams just doesn't have that kind of power or influence to dictate licensing or merchandising terms to media giants like Disney and Lucasfilm, and certainly not for a juggernaut franchise like SW.

He supposedly wasn't even first choice as director. Apparently Brad Bird turned it down.

I have hope that Abrams' "modern Bournesque" visual style in SW7 will be supported by a script I like better than the debut new Trek because, if not, people can continue to claim how suited Abrams is for Star Wars (Brian ain't the first, he's one of hundreds and hundreds that have married Abrams w/Star Wars style), but I'll still scratch my head at the end of the day.

There will certainly be elements of Abram's visual style in Episode VII, but he will definitely be adhering to certain stylistic parameters which are inherent in the SW filmic universe, and which are common to all the existing SW movies, regardless of director.

And as far as we know, Episode VII will be his one and only shot at it, because (just like the Original Trilogy), the next three episodes will all be helmed by different directors.

__
              Last edited by Bruce Banner; May 20, '13, 4:36 AM.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>after seeing the new Star Trek movie..has your feelings changed about Episode 7?

Nah. I'm, reservig judgement until I see something more concrete.... like an ad, or toys. (or preferably the film itself.) I'm always leary of sequels, tie-ins and reboots 'cos I want to see something new; and going with an established property.... and established names.... shows an immediate reluctance towards new.

On the up-side; it'll be pretty tough to do worse than JarJar.

Don C.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                  He supposedly wasn't even first choice as director. Apparently Brad Bird turned it down.
                  __
                  Wow, I had never heard that. Do you have a source for that?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Well, not a frame of new Star wars has been shot yet, so let's not panic now.

Even though I liked (but not loved) the first Abrams Trek movie, I never felt he really got it. He himself said that he never liked TOS Trek as he grew up, so maybe it just isn't his style.
                    I agree that SW might suit him a lot better.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                      Wow, I had never heard that. Do you have a source for that?
                      It was in an interview which Bird did with The Hollywood Reporter.
                      Here's the link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...equel-i-523427
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Very cool, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎