Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Ultra Q

He he heeeee....

Don C.
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

Ah man, I've never seen any Ultra Q and I'm very curious.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Only ever seen clips but it always looked like something I'd dig.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• RobTMego
        Career Member
        • Mar 15, 2013

Love it, will need to buy a copy!!

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I have a set off a Japanese LD set. It's a neat show, plenty of weird stuff. Apparently it WAS shown in English back in the day, in limited markets. (The set I have has exerpts in English from episdoe 5.) If you remember Ultraman, and how there were monsters the Science Patrol seemed to already know, it's because of this show.

If you liked Ultraman, you'll like this.

I notice Ultraseven has been released on disk too. That's another good one. Unfortunately, I don't think the official release has the banned episode.

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

Ultra Q was awesome-- actually it was only one episode they dubbed in English as part of a test market but it failed. I have copies of this show as well from the Japanese LD and even without understanding it, you can see what a cool show it was. I am def getting this set

PS No the official shout set for Ultra 7 does not have the banned episode, nor does it have the English dubbing. there were a few other odd issues people had with this set (something with the audio and screwy subtitles). Funny thing is that the TNT airings did have the banned episode in dubbed English as well.
            Last edited by mazinz; May 14, '13, 11:40 PM.
            "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I have some VHS of the old TNT Ultra 7 episodes, the dubbing is more sarcastic than Spectreman at times.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>it was only one episode they dubbed in English as part of a test market but it failed

Okay, I can see that. I'd heard that Ultra Q saw limited release in the US in English in places like California and Hawaii. That it was dubbed after Ultraman became something of a hit, but it didn't get wider release (beyond some Japanese syndicated markets) 'cos of lack of interest. (The stations figured they could just rerun Ultrama ad infinum/ad nauseum.) But I've never been able to verify that story either way.

>Funny thing is that the TNT airings did have the banned episode in dubbed English as well.

That's the one I got.... although they seem to be missing three of the earlier ones from Japan. The banned one was 'cos the aliens were seen as a shot on survivours of the nuclear bomb; something that wouldn't have carried over to N. America. Hence why it wasn't banned. (How they got a copy is still a mystery, since it was pulled completely from the Japanese show.)

>I have some VHS of the old TNT Ultra 7 episodes, the dubbing is more sarcastic than Spectreman at times

The folks who did it weren't given ANY kind of direction, so they were winging it all through. That's why the tone changes so much.

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

a few fansets of Ultra 7 (as well as the slew I use to record when TNT was airing them) are out there-- just matter of someone having the time to sync up one with the other (something I could totally do when I have the time). However I have a feeling a project like this has already been underway, just a matter of finding it
                  "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>it was only one episode they dubbed in English as part of a test market but it failed

There's an essay with the disk set that mentions all the episodes WERE dubbed but it was never distributed, and MGM is currently sitting on them. I'd never heard that before.... just the rumours that it had been shown in English in very limited areas.

Weird.

Don C.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

It's great that this series has finally been released stateside, but it's too bad that due to very complicated, long running legal issues, Shout wasn't able to get access to better quality video masters (this legal snag has caused the same issues for any Tsuburaya Productions series prior to 1974, a Thai company is claiming international rights to that material but it's a very dubious, tangled matter).

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎