Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek should bring back the exploration theme...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, you silly wabbits...

sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

Exploration is far easier to portray on television. It's kind of hard to make a movie out of exploring a new quadrant and charting new star gasses. Now, if some planet-long tentacles come out of that star and try to grab the Enterprise, then you have a scene! Now, I would like to see a Star Trek film with space action and the wonderment of discovery melded into a film, but it would probably fail if made the way I'd do it.

That said, I absolutely freakin love the first JJ film. I watch it at least once a month, sometimes I use it as background while working. I'ts probably approaching my top five all-time movies. It's definitely top ten. Abrams was able to perfectly merge a contemporary filming style with classic characters. They are different, but enough remains of the original concepts to make it fresh.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

"Earth is about to be destroyed by some intergalactic menace. Only Kirk and his crew can save the world."

Remind me again what movie that is... the "Star Trek" reboot? "ST:TMP"? "ST IV: The Voyage Home"?

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

I don't know if this occurred to anyone yet but Star Trek is more "proceedural drama" like Bones, Law & Order or X-Files, just in a sic-fi setting. This is more in keeping with exploration plots tho maybe not as exciting.

Comment

• Chris
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 23, 2009

All I ask from the new ST movie is to avoid time travel.
            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Klosterheim
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 23, 2013

Why doesn't Prime (rib) Spock just use the old "slingshot effect" to go back in time before Nero arrives, use Spock's future knowledge to build starships that can destroy Nero's Jellyfish ship, and ambush him as soon as Nero materializes near the Kelvin?

He'd save Vulcan, at the very least, and Earth and Vulcan could explore once more, have a big exploration party.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>There's no room any more for modestly successful in movies or minlist in publishing because all the top peopole want to see are "rock stars" that can carry everything rather than a competent stable of product.

Especially withy the big name franchaises. It's the tradeoff: you get the big names, big budgets, and big effects.... but they're gonna give you small ideas, 'cos they have to minimalize their risks. It goes with what I was sayin' in another post: the bigger the copnay, the fewer the risks. So you get a film that looks good, kills some time, and is completely forgettable.

>like it or not, the new Trek is here to stay

Until the reboot; when it becomes a comedy with Jack Black as Kirk and Seth Rogen as Spock. Or they 'tween it all up.... or decide to go for a YOUNGER market with a new tv series. Or maybe an all-out action show. (Vin Diesel as Kirk, and only he can see the ghost of Captain Pike, played by Bruce Willis. And "The Rock" as "Mr Spock.")

Odds are we WILL see at least one more major reboot in our lifetimes.... probably more.

Don C.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by johnmiic
                  I don't know if this occurred to anyone yet but Star Trek is more "proceedural drama" like Bones, Law & Order or X-Files, just in a sic-fi setting. This is more in keeping with exploration plots tho maybe not as exciting.
                  Hmm. Maybe we could have a Starfleet: NCIS?

Commander Data's Mysteries?

A Star Trek medical examiner show might actually be good.
                  "Jim, this man's a Klingon" sort of thing combined with finding cause of death and murderers.

Shore Leave would be great, did not think of that.

About The Rock, he does do that eyebrow thing...

It's hard to beat the original exploration theme,
                  it's like having fun with the "pick a planet" game.

Anyone know of the 'Hawk Swoops' Klingon ship? -something like that.
                  It was all about the landing parties, yo!

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>A Star Trek medical examiner show might actually be good.

That's something I'd LOVE to see with a lot of the more nerdly properties: a show that emulates the mundane of the setting. 'Cos for people living in space, THEIR mundane would be OUR exciting. Problem is; that's tough to write with any credibility, and it seems like sci-fi characters since the 90's get the short shrift personality-wise. ("Here's your ONE flaw, your tragic past.... and remember to scowl a lot.") You'd also have a helluva time getting an audience. The nerdly members would be turned off by the personable bits, and the mundanes would be turned off by the nerdly bits.

But still; something like that would be good for the setting. Apparently in the Trek universe the only jobs are Star Fleet, and seemingly prosaic but incredibly wise older gentlemean in a mundane job. Oh; and crazy scientist. Trek has a LOT of crazy scientists. (Almost as many as their crazy admiral count.)

Don C.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

A few bad commissioners too! hahahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎