X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

The Unpopular Opinion: Burton's POTA

I'm not defending it but it's an interesting article. Tho I think it's extremely stupid of Burton to have had that ending just to set the film up for sequels he states he would not direct:

THE UNPOPULAR OPINION is an ongoing column featuring different takes on films that either the writer HATED, but that the...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I give the film high marks just for not making CGI apes

other than that, it's like a meh

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i always liked the movie in it's own right. not as good as the originals but not as bad as people make it out to be either. it's an interesting paralel universe to my apes movies

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I loved the make-ups and the (ape) acting. The actors in ape make-up did a great job, with the possible exception of Bonham-Carter. Her look didn't really work.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I thought it was blah. They'd sucked all the subtext out of the story.... ALL previous versions of the story.... and made a pretty generic actioner with a pretty generic "what a twist!" ending.

Don C.

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

I used to babysit a kid and I got him into the original POTA. I remember when this movie came out, he was 13. I called him up and invited him to go see this w/ me. Even HE thought it was lame. I couldn't stand it either.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

On the bright side,no Johnny Depp.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

It's not a great movie by any stretch but not nearly as bad as it is made out to be either. I think it's worth a viewing just for Rick Baker's phenomenal make up effects alone.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>It's not a great movie by any stretch but not nearly as bad as it is made out to be either.

Yeah.... I don't think I'd call it BAD; just blah. It would have been a perfectly serviceable B-movie, but knowing how much they sunk into it kinda sours things for me.

>I think it's worth a viewing just for Rick Baker's phenomenal make up effects alone.

A lot of folks agree. The effects were phenomenal, but I didn't like how much they ACTUALLY looked like apes. It's odd, but then being so realistic kinda took away from it for me. The more hominid apes of the original were unique; the new ones looked like someone strapped helmets on actual apes.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎