X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Where No Man Has Gone Before - talk

Was watching Star Trek's Where No Man Has Gone Before last night.

It always bugs me Gary became a jagoff so soon.

Kirk makes it look like EVERYBODY would turn bad in the same situation (absolute power etc)

If this is true why didn't it happen to Sally Kellerman ?

I think Gary must have been a major a_hole before this even happened

Charlie X had the same power his whole life and wasn't nearly as nasty as Gary.

It can be argued the power drove Gary crazy - but I don't agree ---- see Kellerman's character.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

I think the difference was Dr Denner (1) was not as far "transformed", and (2) had the benefit of witnessing the descent of Gary Mitchell before it started happening to her.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I just keep thinking, it might make a decent story but how many real people - given the power Gary was given would want to kill all their friends and be a god in a matter of days ?

I think what happened to Riker (given the power of Q) was more realistic .... First thing Riker wanted to do is save people and give his buddies super presents.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
        I think Gary must have been a major a_hole before this even happened
        I think what happened to Riker (given the power of Q) was more realistic .... First thing Riker wanted to do is save people and give his buddies super presents.
        I totally agree.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I always got the impression that Mitchell was a bit seedier than Kirk. Kind of an amped up version of Kirk's reckless side. Kirk had somewhat outgrown his wild ways, but Mitchell hadn't. We all have friends like that.

It's what made Mitchell more prone to going bad so quickly. He didn't have many inhibitions to begin with.

Those human failings is what made Trek the most interesting to me. The was at it's best when some part of the story depended on this, and not just a bunch of tech-babble jargon. It's why I could never fully get into TNG.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>how many real people - given the power Gary was given would want to kill all their friends and be a god in a matter of days ?

I have days WITHOUT cosmic power NOW where I want to puch them in the throat....

Anyhoo; I think you also have to look at stuff like this in movies and tv from the other side: it may be more demonstrative of Gary than a comment on the human condition in toto.

Don C.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I just keep thinking, it might make a decent story but how many real people - given the power Gary was given would want to kill all their friends and be a god in a matter of days ?

I really think it depends on the person. Some people just can't handle power. I've seen good people turn into jerks after getting a simple promotion at work. The authority goes straight to their head. Now imagine getting a million times that power instantly. Unless the person had the willpower to resist temptation, I think they'd begin to abuse it pretty quickly.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                I really think it depends on the person. Some people just can't handle power. I've seen good people turn into jerks after getting a simple promotion at work. The authority goes straight to their head. Now imagine getting a million times that power instantly. Unless the person had the willpower to resist temptation, I think they'd begin to abuse it pretty quickly.
                I can see that and it even explains my Will Riker example, considering he turned down being captain like a million times.

Comment

• bobws
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 13, 2008

Yeah , but that was just so he would stay on the show. not what he would have done in real life.
                  "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>but that was just so he would stay on the show. not what he would have done in real life

Well.... the show IS real life for the character, so what we see them do there we have to accept as what they'd "really" do. Hence the character defining the act/the act defining the character thing.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎