• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Did you see the old Who?

So;

I got a chance to see the DVD of "Day of the Daleks." It's interesting.... they did a retouched version of it, with new effects added. Kinda like they did with the old Trek. On the up-side, you get both versions in the DVD set; original and touched up one. Also, the newer one isn't too heinous. They didn't change anything, but added some effects. So when folks are hit with the sonic disruptors they don't just disappear; they explode into a puff of beefy confetti. It's noce 'cos the new effects aren't distracting. Some of them help the scenes.... almost as if they'd originally intended to put them in but didn't.

And you get the unedited one too, for the purists.

All told; it'd be nice if more stuff that gets retouched did it like this. (I'm looking at YOU; Star Wars! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKRRY5tQz8 )

Don C.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Meat confetti.... Yuk, them Daleks are dastardly.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I've got that on order, it's the first Who I remember watching as a kid. I read an article that they actually went back to the locations and reshot some scenes with Daleks/Ogrons. They also cleaned up the scene where the Doctor shoots first. It makes sense, it was really out of character, even then....
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

The special edition of Day of the Daleks is great... it's the perfect example of how to spruce up an old story without the improvements being too intrusive or distracting.
        From the gun effects, to the new Dalek voices, to adding more Daleks during the climax so it looks like there's actually more than 3... it's a great effort and highly recommended.

The BBC have done several special editions... one of the more recent is a reissue of The Ark in Space.
        They also added a few new FX shots to Destiny of the Daleks, and some other stories.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>I read an article that they actually went back to the locations and reshot some scenes with Daleks/Ogrons.

They did; and even that wasn't overpowering.

>it's the first Who I remember watching as a kid

I had to replace my copy of Day of the Daleks. I'd taped it off of PBS around 28 years ago. The tape wasn't doing so good.

Don C.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I was not too pleased with remastered ST:TOS, but this sounds pretty good.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I thought you meant the old Who - as in when Keith Moon was still alive.

No, I saw them in Cleveland in '89.

Oh nevermind, that wasn't the question.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>I was not too pleased with remastered ST:TOS, but this sounds pretty good.

That's what I found myself subconsciously comparing this to. I'm lukewarm on the redone Trek: the changes weren't too big, but were noticeable. A lot of them (Like new shots of the ship) felt pointlessly indulgent to me. The Who ones were more understated. (They mention in the mini doc some of the tricks they used to make them seem more appropriate for the episode: like finding an old 16mm camera to film the new bits with.) Plus, the Who ones come with the original, untouched version as well. One of the big turn-offs for me with things like the new Trek edits, or Star Wars ones is that I don't get the choice of which I prefer. I get the new ones, and I like it or else.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I got this last night and started checking it out, wow, they've really done a lovely job.

The effects make the show look like it had a much bigger budget than it did and that is a total win.

Never a fan of the revised Trek, I wanted to like it but a lot of what they did felt tacked on for no good reason. Here, it's fleshing out an under budget story.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

I also like how they added a few establishing shots of the future era city, and even subtle things like adding effects when characters are speaking on the display screens.

Nicholas Briggs did a great job re-voicing the Daleks, too.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Don, I think with ST:TOS blu-ray, you can choose which version you want to view.

For myself, esp. since I don't have high-def TV yet, I got a complete set of the original CBS 2-episode dvds on ebay & couldn't be happier.

"Tacked on for no good reason" is apt, Palitoy.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I also like how they added a few establishing shots of the future era city

Those were kinda neat, but they felt out of place. Mostly 'cos they were dark, smoky and industrial; and all the closeups happening in the Dalek city were bright and sunny.

>I think with ST:TOS blu-ray, you can choose which version you want to view

THat'd be nice.... but then I'd need a Blu-Ray. Inevitable, I guess. Two of my current DVD players are dying, and blu-rays are cheap now.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎