X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

No more Jar Jar in 3D

Disney is going to focus on the new SW movies instead of converting the other pequel movies to 3D. Good thinking. Besides the terrible box office of Phantom Menace in 3D, the glut of unpopular PM toys nearly killed SW at retail.

You know, I have yet to see this downside of Disney buying SW.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

I would have gone to see the others in 3D if they had continued to convert them, but I don't really care. Moving on to new product is probably the best move.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

If it was possible to convert the original trilogy to 3D and have it actually look good, THAT could have made them some money.

I think Disney needs to distance Star Wars from the prequels. Let's just kind of forget them.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I wanted to take my kid to the theater to see Star Wars but would fake illness to avoid the remaining prequels, so I really don't care either.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

Oh thank God for small mercies!

I always wondered what in the heck Jar Jar brought to the first two movies anyway. During the first one, he was the comic relief, since Threepio wasn't in it for very long, but him being in the second (and was he in the third, I don't remember?) was completely pointless.
          JediJaida

Comment

• acrovader
            Career Member
            • Jan 19, 2011

1)Lucasfilm POSTPONED the other prequels, NOT cancelled.

2)The Phantom Menace 3D release grossed $43 million over its LIMITED release. Not bad for a movie so universally reviled. In fact, Lucasfilm probably made a profit off the rerelease.

3)The OT might not be rereleased in 3D. Certainly, not before Episode 7.

Frankly, while I didn't HATE the prequels, I haven't any intention to see them rereleased in 3D (or 2D, for that matter). In fact, I hope Episode 7 (and the other 2 films of the trilogy) aren't released in 3D. I hate 3D.
            Last edited by acrovader; Jan 29, '13, 4:43 PM.
            I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i did not bother with Ep1 in 3d and would not have bothered with the others either. I like the prequel movies in their own right, but they are by no means great movies and I am not a big fan of all this 3d crap. it was good in Avatar. nothing else I have seen in 3d has been enhanced by it being in 3d

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by acrovader
                1)Lucasfilm POSTPONED the other prequels, NOT cancelled.
                Let's be totally honest here, Lucasfilm now stating the prequels in 3D are only just "postponed" to work on the new trilogy and movies is a nice way of saying they are cancelled. How long will it take to work on a new trilogy plus side movies? I'm thinking on average 2 to 3 years per movie. I mean sure 10 or so years from now Disney could conceivably convert Episodes 2 and 3 to 3D and release them to theaters. But why? By then there would even less demand for them than even PM 3D had. I don't see it happening.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• acrovader
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Let's be totally honest here, Lucasfilm now stating the prequels in 3D are only just "postponed" to work on the new trilogy and movies is a nice way of saying they are cancelled. How long will it take to work on a new trilogy plus side movies? I'm thinking on average 2 to 3 years per movie. I mean sure 10 or so years from now Disney could conceivably convert Episodes 2 and 3 to 3D and release them to theaters. But why? By then there would even less demand for them than even PM 3D had. I don't see it happening.
                  I think too many people are too giddy about the prospect of the prequels being buried that they read too much into the official statement by Lucasfilm. Until they say cancelled, I'm assuming that the films are postponed.. indefinitely.
                  I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• spacecaps
                    Second Mouse
                    • Aug 24, 2011

Disney is gonna forget about Episodes 1-3 like Lucas forgot about the Holiday Special. I'd be pretty happy if Disney came out and said; "You know those prequels, well forget em like they never happened cause after 7,8, & 9 well be making them the right way."
                    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Meh, I saw Phantom Menace in 3D and wasn't impressed with the 3D conversion, so I probably wouldn't have bothered with the others anyway. Bring on the new films!

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

Lucas missed a golden opportunity with Revenge. By the time it was released he'd heard so much backlash from the Jar Jar character, he was likely a little embarrassed. In the script, he could have sent Jar Jar to the lava planet with the separatists, or he accidently ended up there. Anakin could have cut him in half like all the others. How big of a pop from the audience would that have gotten?
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                          Mego Dork
                          • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by spacecaps
                          Disney is gonna forget about Episodes 1-3 like Lucas forgot about the Holiday Special. I'd be pretty happy if Disney came out and said; "You know those prequels, well forget em like they never happened cause after 7,8, & 9 well be making them the right way."
                          Agreed and a prediction... Star Wars Episode 7 with Han, Luke and Leia (Ford, Hamil, Fisher) will be the highest grossing film of all time. Just stating it for the sake of history.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I liked the prequels.
                            There, I've said it!

I hope that episode VII brings back Jar Jar, with a long grey beard.
                            "Meesa live for hundreds of years! Meesa back!!!!"
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Never seen a modern 3-d movie

I'm guessing they did away with the blue-red glasses ?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎