X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

MIB 3

Saw it, had fun. Seems to have been released with little fanfare, but has finally knocked Avengers out of #1.

Now isn't Men in Black a property that Marvel owns as well? (via the Malibu buyout) not so bad if one of your own movies knocks another out of the top spot rather than Hasbros.

If so, seems like they are not really keen on putting any effort to publish any kind of tie in comic to take advantage of a big summer movie.

Men in Black Far Cry (1997 Marvel) #1A NM | eBay

Men In Black Retribution #1/Lowell Cunningham/Matt Webb/1997 Marvel Comics | eBay

Men In Black #1 (1997) Movie Adaptation NM | eBay

1990 Men In Black 1 Aircel Original Series 1st Print Movie Will Smith | eBay
    Last edited by samurainoir; May 26, '12, 8:35 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Marvel has never capitalized on the MIB popularity in a comic. I don't recall them ever putting out a good tie-in book with a good creative team. Tho they never seemed to do the same with Blade after the 1st Wesley Snipes film came out either. These seem to be regarded as box office properties and not worthy of quality comic treatment.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I had forgot Marvel owned MIB. So they dethroned themselves.

I had no idea it was out this weekend. I guess they thought the property would promote itself, but maybe Paramount/Marvel/Disney figured they made enough money this summer anyhow?

That first issue looks like every 3rd black and white comic from the late 80s. Half-naked chick, blood and guns in black and white.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• spacecaps
        Second Mouse
        • Aug 24, 2011

I saw the movie last night. I don't know why. I can not stand anything Will Smith has ever been in and this was a total Will Smith movie. I guess I should have expected that but whateves. Josh Brolin was great though.
        "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Josh Brolin is the reason I want to see this! It looks like he does a killer TLJ imitation!
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Sony Pictures / Columbia seems to be the ones releasing it, so although Marvel may be getting some money for it, they probably only sold it for rights, and may be under the same deal when they optioned it 15 years ago. Promoting it now would likely be just promoting another studios property, with little upside, unlike having Spider-man do well, which promotes a bigger property and they likely get a much larger cut of.

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

It's fun. A whole lot better than the second one. The Time-travel scenes are really cool. But I would rate in No. 3 on the summer releases I've seen behind Avengers and Dark Shadows.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Hulk
                Sony Pictures / Columbia seems to be the ones releasing it, so although Marvel may be getting some money for it, they probably only sold it for rights, and may be under the same deal when they optioned it 15 years ago. Promoting it now would likely be just promoting another studios property, with little upside, unlike having Spider-man do well, which promotes a bigger property and they likely get a much larger cut of.
                Your right of course, it's not like they sell a boatload MIB toys and other licensed product in the same way the Spider MAN Movie does (which is where the real money is in that particular deal). I just thought they could sell a few more comics, but at the end of the day for them that is pocket change.

This flick has had such a low profilem but s already a big hit in it's second week. Will Smith still gets butts in seats it seems... Worldwide.

Total Lifetime Grosses
                Domestic: *$112,300,000 ***29.0%
                +*Foreign: *$274,600,000 ***71.0%
                =*Worldwide: *$386,900,000 *
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎