X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
    Because this movie couldn't care less about REAL Trek history...

It's just another Berman movie, imo

I really hope this movie tanks big-time.

It will prove not all Trekkies bend over to everything called "Trek"
    Not to go all Uber Nerd on this item, but this is of REAL Trek history, namely the Wrath of Khan.

Star Trek II is a continuation of the first season episode "Space Seed". Chekov joined the cast in Season 2 after, according to Gene Roddenberry, the Russian News Media complained about Trek saying "We were the first into space, yet there is no Russian on this crew". However, when Captain Terrell and Chekov find Khan on Seti Alpha Five Khan remarks "I never forget a face... Mr... CHEK-ov!". Oops! Retcon time! - Now Chekov has to be on the Enterprise during that timeframe.

I worked for Creation Entertainment in the 90's, and it was my pleasure to work with Walter Koenig a few times, and once at a show Walter was asked about this inconsistency. Walter replied that even though you did not see Chekov on the Bridge during the first season, it didn't mean that he wasn't on the Enterprise somewhere, "maybe hiding somewhere in the Engine Room with Scotty".

Now they may decide to retcon more Trek history with the new movie (like with Chekov), but Trek Chronology has been retconned since Star Trek the Motion Picture all the way through Enterprise (a show I really dug until the "Xindi" crap killed it for me). You can't blame it all on Berman, ******bag that he is.

Personally, I'll give it a chance, but they have a big mountain to climb with this. But I thought the same thing about recasting Superman after Christopher Reeve and Wizards release of Dungeons and Dragons Version 3. Sometimes they surprise you - and sometimes they let Shatner write and direct. Anything has to be better than "The Final Frontier" and *shudder* "Nemesis", right?
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

IMO, "The Final Frontier" was not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be.

It had lousy SFX and poor writing, but it didn't screw with Trek lore.

It was a Trek ROMP in the same lines as Tribbles and Piece of the Action.

Comment

• Surfsup
        Silver Chrome Dome
        • Dec 2, 2005

As a fan of the original crew, I'm into movies 1-6 in one way or the other, my favourite being 6. I've got a good feeling about this new movie, it's a bold move and one that could possibly breath new life into the movie franchise. God knows it needs a decent facelift after what Berman did with it.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎