• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trekman101
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2009

New Trek film news.....Khan is back

Cumberbatch Scrambled To Get Villain Part TrekToday
    It's official....also Leonard Nimoy returns as spock Prime and the Klingons are back
    Last edited by trekman101; Apr 30, '12, 10:23 PM.
    "Thats the ticket laddie"
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Sounds great and I am looking forward to it but somehow, I wish the new movie was about them doing something like "exploring a strange new world" and "seek new life forms"

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• trekman101
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2009

I wish JJ would have been more creative and came up with something new instead of copping out with retelling old stories and "brewery" engine rooms

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

I read the article from the link, but I'm not sure where you're getting Khan out of it?

Personally, I'd rather NOT see another take on Khan. I'm quite happy with Ricardo Montalban's Khan, thanks much.

Ditto on exploring strange NEW worlds. C'mon JJ and Co.---blow us away. Show us some s**t we've NEVER seen before...!!!!
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

If they did revisit an old story I wish it would have been The Doomsday Machine

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
            If they did revisit an old story I wish it would have been The Doomsday Machine
            I L-O-V-E "The Doomsday Machine." One of my favorite TOS episodes EVER! If they did decide to revisit it on the big screen, I wonder if they would incorporate any of the backstory that it was actually a weapon meant to take on a Borg cube. Now THAT would be oh-so cool!
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Just read the article myself...absolutely no mention of Khan or Klingons. Not even implied...where are you getting this from?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

???? I see nothing about Khan or Klingons there.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  ???? I see nothing about Khan or Klingons there.

The TrekMovie site has the following info:

Major Star Trek Sequel Spoilers | TrekMovie.com

Spoiler 2: Cumberbatch is playing Khan

TrekMovie was first in reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch had joined the Star Trek sequel cast, to play a villain (originally a role offered to Benecio del Toro). A few outlets have also reported (including today’s AICN) that this villain was Trek’s most famous bad guy – the exiled Eugenics War leader Khan Noonien Singh (originally played by Ricardo Montalban). TrekMovie has also confirmed this with a number of sources so we no longer consider it to be a rumor. Khan is back in 2013, however sources indicate that the film is not a rehash of "Space Seed," the original Star Trek episode where Kirk and crew first encounter the genetic superman from the past.

While big news, this is actually not a huge surprise. Trek’s new filmmakers have often cited the Christopher Nolan’s Batman series as their model, with the second film The Dark Knight successfully brining back the Joker and Khan is the closest to Trek gets to Batman’s Joker. And again the team kind of already let the cat out of the bag on this one when they recorded the DVD commentary back in 2009 and said they had considered a post-credits sceene showing the Botany Bay, Khan’s sleeper ship. Then of course there is Abrams widely reported casting process which began with Benecio del Toro and went through a number other prominent Latino (like Montalban) actors before he ended up picking Cumberbatch, after what has been said to be a very powerful audition.

Spoiler 3: Klingons featured in Star Trek sequel

This third spoiler is not something from the new AICN report, but multiple TrekMovie sources have confirmed that the Klingons will be featured in the Star Trek sequel. Of course Klingons were were originally going to be part of the 2009 movie as well – in a subplot where they had captured Nero and his crew after the destruction of the USS Kelvin, however those scenes were cut from the final release (but did appear on the DVD/Blu-ray). TrekMovie sources indicate that this time the Klingons are not a sub-plot that could be easily cut out of the film, so we will finally see the JJ-verse version of Klingons on the big screen.

This spoiler seems to be a no brainer. The Klingons are likely Star Trek’s best known adversary aliens, and they appeared in most of the movies featuring the original cast. The intent was to put them in the last one and fans have been asking for Klingons to make the cut for the sequel.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

I still think the Khan spoiler is just a rumor to throw us off because J.J. wants to surprise us.
                    sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

I certainly hope so. I mean, one of the main reason STII:TWOK worked so well was because it actually had an old back story to draw from, that being the TOS episode "Space Seed". Without that back story, and without the then noble and tragic death of Spock, would TWOK still be considered, as it is by many, to be the best of the theatrical TREKs? Dunno. But I don't think you can try to artificially compress both the episode and the movie into a new film and expect it to garner the same respect or emotional reasonance. Just my humble opinion...

Comment

• Thor
                        Thunder God
                        • Dec 17, 2009

They are falling into the same rut again. I like the original Khan but they should let the past stay that way. I would like to see a new enemy or entirely new situation.
                        sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

So, Khan is British now?
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            So, Khan is British now?
                            Maybe Cumberbatch will do the most convincing Indian accent ever?
                            Still, I guess it matters little. Even the great Ricardo Montalbán just played Khan with his own natural Latino accent.

But I still won't believe this until it's officially confirmed.
                            It does seem like very unlikely casting for the role.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• trekman101
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by trekman101
                              Cumberbatch Scrambled To Get Villain Part TrekToday
                              It's official....also Leonard Nimoy returns as spock Prime and the Klingons are back
                              This site updates a lot and the link to the full story including the sources move around(I had to look around to find the info myself) but this is what was reported on 4/30/12

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎