• Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

John Carter Bombs big time

Disney studio chief quits after 'John Carter' bomb - Yahoo! News
    All I can say is
    Last edited by kennermike; Apr 20, '12, 4:24 PM.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Seems like Wild Hogs 2 would be a cheaper movie for Disney to make, and give them a greater return than a risky property like John Carter, even if they HAD promoted it better.

Disney used to be content to make profitable small movies. I think they are too desperate for a tentpole film series. Just latch onto that Marvel franchise and sit back, and let the money flow in.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

Yea, its hard to understand what the next Harry Potter or Hunger Games will be. Spending that much to make a 100 year old property was a real gamble that didnt pay off. Good looking movie but is blown away by the new titans. You would think they would have researchers looking into what could be protential hits.
      For the amount they loss on this movie I think they could have done an animated (non cgi) version and probably have been alot more successful. I miss the days when Disney wowed me with cartoons like The Lion King.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by kennermike
        Although I'm in the minority (as far as the MM goes) in my utter disappointment with this film. I take no pleasure in it's failure or in the failure of others, not really sure why you do.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

The head of Disney just stepped down. The main reason being cited is John Carter. There really is no excuse for sinking that much into this movie. Budget it more reasonably and it's a disappointment not a career ender.

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

We definately dont want "cool" properties to do poorly. This could have been a good film series if things were different.

Comment

• kennermike
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
              Although I'm in the minority (as far as the MM goes) in my utter disappointment with this film. I take no pleasure in it's failure or in the failure of others, not really sure why you do.
              I take huge pleasure ! 90% is garbage that so called Hollywood cranks out these days .I laugh at their failures on every level especially with CGI infested crap!
              Last edited by kennermike; Apr 20, '12, 4:49 PM.

Comment

• torgospizza
                Theocrat of Pan Tang
                • Aug 19, 2010

That'll teach them for trying to adapt a classic sci-fi story for a new generation!

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by torgospizza
                  That'll teach them for trying to adapt a classic sci-fi story for a new generation!
                  well said!

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

I haven't seen the movie yet - so I can't judge the quality.

Disney had an interesting director, who made big hits for them, with an interesting property and had some recent hit action movies (which they never did well with before) - so it was kinda like a perfect storm for them to take a shot at an Avatar sized hit, I think.

In a way - I like that Disney stuck their neck out like this - even though it didn't work out. It's been years since Disney has taken any real chances - maybe not since Walt Disney ran the company. So on one hand I have this kooky kind of nostalgia for the old days when studios took big chances - and at the same time it annoys me that this movie may have just killed this from happening again.

In any case, it's always easy to sit back and wonder why people risked so much AFTER something fails. (I've done it many times as well - so I know!)

I also remember the times I was dead wrong.
                    Last edited by Brazoo; Apr 20, '12, 6:11 PM.

Comment

• nobody
                      banjo!
                      • Jan 26, 2012

Well I guess instead of new stuff, it's back to reboots and sequels
                      Last edited by nobody; Apr 20, '12, 6:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by megoknight
                        Well I guess instead of new stuff, it's back to reboots and sequels
                        Yeah - that's my take on the lesson that's going to be taken from this, unfortunately.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

A great pity. I liked the movie, and it would have been cool to see more of ERB's Mars books adapted for the screen.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>Disney had an interesting director, who made big hits for them, with an interesting property and had some recent hit action movies (which they never did well with before) - so it was kinda like a perfect storm for them to take a shot at an Avatar sized hit, I think.

It's one of those things that looks good on paper, and it's all perfectly safe. Big names, big budget, established story....

>I guess instead of new stuff, it's back to reboots and sequels

Yeah; that's one reason I get so cheesed at the audience. People seem to WANT remakes and sequels. Even this one.... I'd much rather see something new rather than a film version of something I could just read the book for.... but people get all excited for things they already know.

>on one hand I have this kooky kind of nostalgia for the old days when studios took big chances - and at the same time it annoys me that this movie may have just killed this from happening again.

Hmmmm.... I don't think Disney's really taken any chances since 1937. The big studios seldom do. If they do, it's usually the pet project of someone with enough pull (or cash) to push the project, or it's not actually a risk but it's played like one so's the audience think they're getting something new.

Don C.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

the head of Disney films division resigned over this collosal flop. it's a shame. i have not seen the movie but it looked good and i will pick it up on bluray when it comes out

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎