X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Deep Space Nine appreciation?

I've always considered it my favorite Trek series. I now have access to it through Netflix. When it first started it was kinda rough, sort of awkward and unsure if itself. I like the darker themes and the vibe. I'm watching season 4 now with the Dominion and changelings in full swing and am reminded why I like this so much. It's a direct parallel to the cusp of paranoia in the fifties with McCarthy era communist hunts where nobody is safe. There is a constant tension, like being in a war zone waiting for a bomb to drop.

The characters all have some sort of unsavoryness about them and are flawed, yet as an ensemble they work so well together. I don't remember much about the last two seasons as I think I lost interest or wasn't home to watch, but hopefully Netflix will have them available.

I also love how they incorporate characters from Next Gen and how they re-use older actors. John Colicos as Kor and the guy who played movie Admiral Cartwright as Sisko's father are great touches.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I hated it when it first came out but started liking it more and more when I grew tired of Next Gen constantly being PC

By the time of the last season I liked it way more than TNG

The last season was the BEST last season of any Trek series

Sisko is my fav Captain after Kirk

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

the seasons whefre they had the dominion war going were the best and some of the best trek ever done. the first couple seaons had been rather slow.....i think when Sisko finally shaved his head and became more of a badass it really picked up steam. last season was good but hurt by Terry farrell leaving after S6

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I hated when Terry Farrell left BUT I did get used to the new girl pretty fast ... She was kinda cute and sassy

Comment

• trekman101
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2009

I agree with everything said so far....DS9 was the best written trek by far and Sisko was the best war time trek captain......I really hated to see the show end and wish on day we see Sisko return from his stay with the worm hole aliens
          "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

The only thing I didn't care for was the whole Gul Dukat goes nuts at the end.

Kai Winn was a good character on her own.

It seemed forced and fake to have Dukat with her.

I would have rather seen Dukat in place of Damar as the "hero" at the end
            Last edited by Mikey; Apr 12, '12, 7:37 PM.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

To me the Dominion thing got pretty old, and after Michael Piller said at a convention that they were going to avoid constantly repeating the same advasaries over and over like the Kazan in Voyager, I was pretty miffed that they went for that route again. I think Terry Ferrell made a good Dax, but even though I liked Worf, I don't really think he fit on DS9. I do think Sisko looked better in his "Hawk" vibe. And I'm not ashamed to say it; my favorite character was pretty boy, Dr. Julian Bashir. I didn't like that they made him genetically engineered toward the end b/c they didn't know what else to do w/ his character.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

I Loved it so much that I bought the complete DVD set. I've watched them numerous times.
                Sammy

Comment

• Thor
                  Thunder God
                  • Dec 17, 2009

It's one of my favorite SF series. I can't decide which is my favorite DS9 or TNG. I doubt Roddenberry would have liked the last seasons of DS9 but I think they are some of the most realistic of any of the ST series.
                  sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

I stopped watching TNG by season 4 and DS9 intermittently after they got the Defiant. Have to say DS9 was the best of the modern shows. I think Rick Berman was not happy with how it turned out and he concentrated efforts on TNG and the launch of Voyager. So I think they had more freedom on DS9 to tell better stories.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

One of my favorite episodes is the one where Sisko get's the Romulan empire to join the Federation against the Dominion.

Sisko and Garack did some REALLY shady deals to make it happen including murder

That episode made Sisko a real deep guy and not just a cardboard plastic Captain (like Picard)

I forgot the title but it was a great episode

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

I have not seen Deep Space 9.
                        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by jessica
                          I have not seen Deep Space 9.
                          Really Jess ?

You need to give it a try.

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Someday, Mike. I am just busy now. :(

I googled it to make sure that it was something I had not watched yet. And yes, I haven't seen it yet...
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• bobws
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 13, 2008

My second favorite Trek series after the Original. I especially loved how when the series ended characters ahd moved on and changed. it was a shame they didn't make more years showing what new characters came along and where they would go.
                              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎