X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Cinefantastique

I've begun enjoying seeking out old issues of it on Ebay.

I get a kick out of their haughty, overtly serious approach to the horror/sci fi films. I'll never forget picking up the Logan's Run issue (with a great cover painting I used on the Logan's Run box) and in between interviews with the writers and producers were writing about how it went so wrong and being upfront about their profound disapointment in the final movie compared to the novel.

I get a kick out of the time capsule effect of seeing them talk about movies just released, or to be released that became classics or not. The whole feeling in the early to mid 70's about science fiction getting the short end of the stick cinematically before Star Wars changed everything.

The reviews have made me seek out some sci-fi movies I had never heard of before (perversly, I get most interested in the ones they pan like the Amicus low budget sci-fi efforts like At The Earth's Core)

I just got the Zardoz cover issue which came out during the heyday of The Exorcist. They interviewed William Friedkin and I had to chuckle because he was obviously BSing them about the movie's special effects. He said Linda Blair's levitation scenes were not done with wires but with a magnetic field. They probably knew that was BS because if you look hard enough you can see the wires on Linda Blair when she is up in the air.

But it was fun to see William Friedkin endevoring to feed on the mistique and shell shock people were having from the movie. I bet he thought "Oh yeah, we did it with wires" would be a buzzkill.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

wish I knew this a while ago, I had a slew of them and gave them out to some scanners to provide copies of it for the reading world. I only kept a few. In fact my icon was one of them. I agree it was a great magazine
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎