Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things looking grim for the NEW Star Trek?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Airdave817
    Satellite Monitor Duty
    • May 31, 2007

If I understand my history right - TOS was "Wagon Train to the Stars". I have always liked the original series, because it was the first. Like reading Action Comics 1 or Detective Comics 27, or somethin' like that. You see Superman or Batman; Luthor or Joker for the first time - that's cool.

Seeing the Next Generation version of The Naked Time during the last writer's strike was just a bit of a letdown.

The Next Genration was unique and original on it's own to be pretty cool.
    I kinda liked the episodes with Spock and Scotty.

DS9 seemed more of a sci-fi "Gusnmoke". I'll agree that it wasn't a typical Star Trek series. I watched it for a few years, and then I couldn't find it.

I would have to say that Voyager was more like "Lost In Space" take. It really didn't click with me, not even with Seven of Nine.

I was hoping that Enterprise would be cool. But when it jumped the shark like it did, I just gave up hope.

I'm debating whether this will be a must see in the theatres or a Netflix pick. More and more I don't want to waste my time or the money on a movie I could watch at home cheaper.

But then, I saw Underdog on the big screen because I had to.
    Shameless self-promotion -
    Earth-Dave
    KROC-FM
    Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
      Pat Troughton in disguise
      • Nov 21, 2007

I liked next gen when it was first aired but find it hard to watch now.
      DS9...boldly staying in one spot in space (B5 did it better IMO)
      Voyager....no enterprise=not Star Trek IMO
      Enterprise...lets throw continuity out the window.
      Can only watch TOS and animated now (and the movies)..
      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Actually, if you read a lot of what Gene Roddenberry wrote in later years, his "Wagon Train to the Stars" was one big lie to the network.

He promised THEM a "Wagon Train to the Stars".... so they'd pick up the series (westerns being popular in the 60's)

He never claimed to the fans of Star Trek it was a Wagon Train to the Stars--- which is wasn't.

He actually laughed about that comment in later years.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

There is only one TREK for me and that is TOS.Animated or live action(movies included)I like them.
          Next Gen. just didn't work for me.I'm not sure why but I just couldn't bother.I kinda thought Ryker should have been the Captain?Don't ask me why?I just thought he would have made a better Captain than Jean Luc.I felt jean luc was to mamby pamby.
          If they were to do a new trek show I would love to watch Star Trek Titan.

DS9-just didn't like it at all.

voyager-total crap fest.

Enterprise-Had great potential but somewhere they through all continuity out the window.What was with all that time jumping crap.The funny thing is this is the only other Trek I can watch when it comes on TV go figure.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>Next Gen. just didn't work for me.

My problem was the crew: they were so intellectual and mature and well adjusted that I just wanted to smack all of them! I liked the original because everyone was DIFFERENT. And I KNOW the idea was that in the future everyone WAS supposed to be well adjusted (except apparently if you were a scientist...) but, wow I hated those people.

>DS9-just didn't like it at all.

I found it really generic.

>voyager-total crap fest.

I hated it when it came out; but having watched it recently I kinda see it as a missed opportunity. There was a lot of good stuff there, but it was never taken to the logical end. Half the crew are terrorists but, whatever. So the captain could do ANYTHING.... and nobody in the crew found that odd or surprising. Look, the cocky rebel guy... who acts just like everyone else. (Except he watched cartoons. Is THAT what it takes to be an iconoclast on the ship? Apparently terorism doesn't cut it.) Even the kid WASN'T irritating...

>Enterprise-Had great potential but somewhere they through all continuity out the window.

....five minutes into the first episode....

*sigh*

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

The big problem with Enterprise --- It totally told the old series to F.O.

When you make a show that's set before the original series, the one thing you don't do is alienate your most probable audience-- the classic crowd.

Enterprise was the biggest disaster of the franchise --- I think.

Voyager sucked......
              But Enterprise made us MAD.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>Voyager sucked......
                But Enterprise made us MAD.

...probably the BEST summation of the situation I have ever seen....

>When you make a show that's set before the original series, the one thing you don't do is alienate your most probable audience-- the classic crowd.

That, and if you're doing something like Trek, with so much hsitory; USE IT! There's no reason they had to invent ANYTHING whole cloth. If they didn't have "Star Trek" in the title you'd never have guessed it was part of the franchaise....

>The big problem with Enterprise --- It totally told the old series to F.O.

From what I heard, THAT was the idea. It was supposed to be a reset of Trek history. (Done 'cos the clowns in charge supposedly hated the original show.) And hey, if comic books have taught us ANYTHING in the last 6 years, it's that constantly resetting your continuity is a great idea!

Don C.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Is looking grim indeed.

I saw Cloverfield this past Saturday...and the new Trek teaser trailer came up...

The audience's reaction?

Dead silence.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎