X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

George Lucas announces his retirement

You mean he's been working? Here's the story...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...z_94Y32hCHC9ug

A more detailed story here...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...c7M4wkClFTYBPw
    Last edited by MIB41; Feb 10, '12, 9:21 AM.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Oh, if only he REALLY meant it....!

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

He made three embarrassingly bad Star Wars prequels, none of which won any awards even in the effects department and he wonders why some studios didn't show up to preview his "Red Dogs" film? Really? And look at the reviews on that thing. Box office wise, it will not even retrieve it's production costs, let alone the money spent to market. And he's having a public pouting party about it? He's EVEN rolling his Star Wars fan base under the bus? How pathetic. I guess he figures he can get away with that, since he's been insulting them so long with subpar film making. Those diluted fans will find a rationale to forgive him for this as well.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

My wife was watching Oprah's series called "The Next Chapter" and one episode featured George Lucas. He stated that movie studios do not like taking risks on a big budget movie featuring black people because it doesn't seem to draw an international audience and the chances of recouping costs much less a profit were not worth the risk. He took the risk...said it was $100M to make plus $35M of marketing out of his own pocket and obviously the movie is not a hit. As stated, it sounds like a public pity party. He can just go back releasing each Star Wars movie in 3D and make a ton of money (I don't suspect it would cost much to add the 3D effect).
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

that last Red tails film wasn't that good, I'll admit I like the last 3 Star Wars but that's just me
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• RickD
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 31, 2011

He needs to retire. He has been making millions of dollars off re-releasing his Star Wars movies over and over and over again in different forms! It is about time this crap ends already!

How many times can you re-release the same movie??????

Not to mention making the same toys just on different packages over and over again!

It is starting to become ridiculous

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

Guys. All you need to do is ignore any SW releases that you don't like. Such as prequels, merchandising, Special Editions, re-released figures, etc.
              Complaining about them will only give you ulcers.
              Be happy with what George gave you, and ignore the things he did that you don't like.

Whatever George did/does in his later career, he gave us Star Wars.
              For which my thanks.
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• spacecaps
                Second Mouse
                • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                Guys. All you need to do is ignore any SW releases that you don't like. Such as prequels, merchandising, Special Editions, re-released figures, etc.
                Sooo basically everything after 1985....

Lucas may be retiring but I think he "gave up" somewhere in he middle of Jedi.
                "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                  He made three embarrassingly bad Star Wars prequels, none of which won any awards even in the effects department and he wonders why some studios didn't show up to preview his "Red Dogs" film? Really? And look at the reviews on that thing. Box office wise, it will not even retrieve it's production costs, let alone the money spent to market. And he's having a public pouting party about it? He's EVEN rolling his Star Wars fan base under the bus? How pathetic. I guess he figures he can get away with that, since he's been insulting them so long with subpar film making. Those diluted fans will find a rationale to forgive him for this as well.
                  Your on the money Tom ! I guess he did his best work up until 1989 with last Crusade

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Hasn't he threatened to retire many times before?

Anyhoo...I always find it darkly humorous when the insanely wealthy play the victim. Complaining about the fanboys while laying ontop of Scrooge McDuck sized piles of money they gave him.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kennermike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                      Complaining about them will only give you ulcers.
                      Be happy with what George gave you, and ignore the things he did that you don't like.

Whatever George did/does in his later career, he gave us Star Wars.
                      For which my thanks.
                      you have a huge point!

Comment

• Byrnes
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 19, 2011

You know, fans might like him better if he would just release the orginal movies the way they were made, BUT NOOOOOOO! He says they are subpar movies and not made the way he wanted them done. Screw you man, you suck cause you think you know everything, just give the people want they want and stop being a Richard Headman.
                        WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Byrnes
                          You know, fans might like him better if he would just release the orginal movies the way they were made, BUT NOOOOOOO! He says they are subpar movies and not made the way he wanted them done. Screw you man, you suck cause you think you know everything, just give the people want they want and stop being a Richard Headman.
                          But he HAS released the original movies, the way they were made in 1977-1983, on DVD.
                          Did you miss that?
                          Relax, and think of that ulcer.
                          Breathe in, breathe out...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, and let me clarify. For anyone who enjoys the prequels, that is awesome. We all have our favorite movies and more power to those who have loved Lucas' product through the years. I'm not here trying to discredit that. What I AM saying is it's really hypocritical and pompous for this guy to tell people how they 'should' regard his material after he has lived off the backs of fans for so long. It doesn't matter who you are in life. Anyone who believes they are entitled to tell the public how to think about their product is delusional at best. And it's my hope that the people who have supported him all these years will recognize that insult and let him know about it. His comments are just so pretentious and full of self importance. Even further supported by his suggestion that how "Red Tails" performs at the box office could determine how well "black" films are received in the future. He's got some nerve! What an idiot. Someone needs to send him back to his room and lower his sugar intake. It's affecting the circulation to his brain.
                            Last edited by MIB41; Feb 10, '12, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I do agree that Lucas has lost all sense of direction during the last couple of decades. His best work (THX, Graffiti and SW) was made when he didn't have tons of money and a God complex.
                              Just goes to show, throwing a fortune at movies doesn't made them better all the time. Avatar cost like $$$$$, and I still didn't like it.
                              Lucas is badly in need of an "editor" who says to him what may or may not work. When people say you're right all the time, your life will be filled with Jar Jars...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎