Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

I miss Gary Kurtz!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jBVOZYUjTW...angingluke.jpg
    on your left
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Like I said its day like Today I really miss this man!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Read this excerpt from Wikipedia and weep....

Collaboration with George Lucas

Kurtz and Lucas first collaborated on the 1973 film American Graffiti, which became a huge box office hit. Kurtz then became producer of Star Wars, released in 1977, and its sequel, The Empire Strikes Back released in 1980. Many of the more mystical and spiritual elements of Star Wars were influenced by Kurtz, who had extensively studied comparative religion. Kurtz was a Quaker at the time and is currently Buddhist.

Kurtz has claimed that he and George Lucas clashed over how to progress the Star Wars series. Kurtz recalled after Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, Lucas became convinced that audiences no longer cared about the story; they were simply there for thrills and entertainment, and he began to deviate from the original planned plotlines for Return of the Jedi, at which point Kurtz quit the series. Kurtz has also claimed that Lucas changed the emphasis from storytelling to one that prioritized toy merchandising.[1] Kurtz has expressed his dissatisfaction with Return of the Jedi and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.[2] Kurtz was particularly displeased with Lucas' decisions in Return of the Jedi to resurrect the Death Star and to change the plot outline from one that ended on a "bittersweet and poignant" note to one having a "euphoric ending where everyone was happy".[1]

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

^^^ Kurtz has admitted this in an interview as well conducted either last year or the year before.

The bittersweet ending may refer to Harrison Ford's desire to have Han killed off or having Lando and the Falcon burnt up in the new Death Star's explosive demise.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎