X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Star Wars:Underworld TV Series?

Looks like a live action series set between Episode III an IV. Focus on mob bosses and scoundrels.

Star Wars TV Show Is Called 'Underworld'... But Is It A Boba Fett Series?

With Phantom Menace returning to theaters, and Clone Wars still going strong on TV, it looks like it’s a good time – again – to be a Star Wars fan. And it may get even better, as we now know that the long rumored live action Star Wars TV series has a working title: Star Wars: Underworld.

Now, sure, you’ve been burned by the prequels. And Lucasfilm doesn’t have the best track record in the world for live action TV (see: Christmas special). But the idea of a big budget Star Wars TV show on every week, with the same production values as the movies – which is what producers have promised is what, budgetarily, is holding up the show in the first place – makes our midichlorian count go through the roof.

Other details that have come out over time? The show will be set between Episode III and IV, as a group of mob bosses consolidate their power, paralleling the rise of the Empire at the same time. There’s also been plenty of rumors that bounty hunters will be involved, which of course, leads us to one name: Boba Fett.

Seriously, is there any question whether this is a Boba Fett series? Sure, he could be part of a sprawling cast, but given the Star Wars Universe’s unerring focus on one character at a time, there’s almost no way the Mandalorian won’t be front and center in the series. He’s a fan favorite, and even with an important role as, you know, every clone trooper ever, he still holds an enigmatic place in Star Wars lore.

Granted, we like him that way, so there’s a certain sense that maybe we DON’T want SW:U to be a Boba Fett spectacular. But it’s either that, or a soap opera featuring a bunch of Hutts, and that would be gross.

That all said? We may still not get to see this for a good long while, even though producer Rick McCallum swears there are fifty “excellent” scripts already written on a shelf somewhere. That’s because each script will cost about five million to produce, and where in the world would Lucasfilm get two hundred and fifity million dollars? They’d have to go all out re-releasing all six Star Wars movies in 3-D over the next six years in order to…

Oh. Right.

Keep it tuned to MTV Geek for any and all news about this Star Wars show as it hits… Though it may be a long, long time before we get any other tidbits.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Lucasfilm probably has 250 million in their back pockets for lunch change.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

To me, if Lucas wants to risk that kind of money why not just do the last trilogy in the nine story series and be done with it? You could bring back the original cast! Now THAT would generate interest for me.

Comment

• kennermike
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 4, 2007

Im soooo done with new Star Wars .personally I think Rick McCallum and George need to stop!.They have destroyed the good name of Star Wars with their dumb arse pre-quels and decisions,just leave it alone
        God I miss Gary Kurtz no wonder he walked away after Empire Strikes Back
        Wikimedia Error
        Last edited by kennermike; Jan 31, '12, 1:29 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Lucas and Rick McCallum have pretty much admitted that this series is now on indefinite hold until they can find a way to make it for a reasonable amount of money.

The time frame they are giving is that it might be up to 5 years away at least.

Apparently one of the episode scripts deals with bandits acquiring a time travel device and travelling back in time to stop the creation of Darth Vader.

From AICN:

Daniel tells us that one of the series' first episodes will involve a group of bandits acquiring the capability of time travel, and using it to travel back in time to stop Darth Vader from ever existing.

This is certainly in keeping with past indications we've heard about the show - that it would involve the "darker" side of the STAR WARS universe, criminal factions, Empire building, etc. While "time travel" is relatively new to the film and television canon of the STAR WARS universe, it's a factor that has at least been acknowledge/discussed in the franchise's "Extended Universe" (details HERE). As such, its potential inclusion in this show is not as remarkable as one might initially believe.

What do you think? Are we ready for time travel in the STAR WARS mythos, or might its presence provide an irresistible temptation for Lucas to organically revise STAR WARS history even further?
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Boardwalk Empire with Hutts?

Will this. The second shot at shoveling Prince Xizor on Star Wars fans, 20 years after he failed to catch on?
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• spacecaps
              Second Mouse
              • Aug 24, 2011

I always thought Shadows Of The Empire didn't catch on because they never made a film version of it. The book was such a big deal they made a bunch of action figures for it, why not a movie? DC cranks out quality animated Batman, Superman, JLA movies all the time. Lucas really dropped the ball there. It could have been animated in a Titan AE style (a very underrated film in its own right) and all the voices could have been the original SW cast. Han was frozen so you didn't need Harrison Ford and everyone else from the series wasn't really doing much of anything...except Mark Hamill who was voicing cartoons. I'd still like them to go back and do it. Give the fans a chance to really get excited about seeing the original cast and characters again.
              Last edited by spacecaps; Feb 2, '12, 3:52 AM.
              "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• The Nawd
                Nawd your head for yes.
                • Feb 15, 2011

The Shadows project was about "The movie-without-a-movie". Doing a movie defeats the idea behind the whole thing.

Also, the figures were planned from the start. So were the other toys, the original comics, the CD Soundtrack, the cards and video game. Not because the book was such a big deal. Kenner even helped design the look of some of the characters.

You may want to read "The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire" by Mark Cotta Vaz. It backs up what I'm saying. If you don't have it or no longer have it, then might I suggest you check it out of the library, pick it up in a used book store or buy it off of ebay or something. Lots of neat info about the whole Shadows of the Empire project in it.

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

While I like the concept of Boba Fett (his "look" and Modus Operandi), He's a bit of a chump...Or at least that's the way he was portrayed in both Empire and Jedi. He didn't capture Solo (he apparently had to have Vader do that for him), he can't shoot straight (just like the Stormtoopers) and he did very little in Jedi and then died like a chump (not to mention, a klutz). Boba was more of a badass in his animated (holiday special) debut than he was in the films.

It would be nice to see him handled better in a TV series, of course, there is no guarantee of that. I don't really have much faith in Lucasfilm doing a good job on anything Star Wars related anymore.

It might be fun to see scoundrel-like (Han Solo-ish) characters having adventures in the Star Wars universe, though.

Dana
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I dunno; I think it'd be cool if we saw some new characters. It's starting to look like everything meaningful in the galaxy happens to the same ten people.

>Boba was more of a badass in his animated (holiday special) debut

"Call it, friendo."

>He's a bit of a chump

Check out #1:

7 Movie Badasses (Who Completely Fail To Deliver) | Cracked.com

....or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo10xiHvR_c

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by spacecaps
                      I always thought Shadows Of The Empire didn't catch on because they never made a film version of it.
                      My personal opinion about Shadows is that it just goes to show how piecemeal creation by committee really didn't work in the multi-media context. Not that it wasn't an interesting experiment. The initial release of the Thrawn trilogy was so much more successful as a story with a singular vision attached in Timothy Zahn, than so many novels that followed that needed to tie in with the awakening Lucasfilm merchandising animal.

So many hands in that pie, from the toy company, to the comic, novel, video game etc.

I believe the movie tie in to Shadows was actually the revised theatrical rereleases of the original trilogy? It was very purposefully set within the time period between the original trilogy movies.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

I'd watch this ofcourse.
                        .... I love the Clone Wars toon Myself. It's the Best Thing Star Wars ever imo.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎