X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raider5gt
    Museum Tree Cutter
    • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by Bo8a_Fett
    Nice to see Bernard Cribbins though...apparently he'll turn up a few times in the new season.
    I agree it was nice to see Bernard Cribbin's again,the best bit of the episode for me was when the Dr said his little speach about who he was and that.

Bring back the Daleks!

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Who did Cribbins play? I love the guy but I didn't recognize him.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
        Pat Troughton in disguise
        • Nov 21, 2007

He was the paper seller who explained why London was deserted for christmas
        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• raider5gt
          Museum Tree Cutter
          • Nov 25, 2007

He use to do the voices of the Wombles too,many years ago,also wasn't he in a Dr Who movie with Peter Cushing?

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            • Nov 21, 2007

He was...he played the policeman who inadvertadly stumbled into the TARDIS to use the police phone in "Dalek Invasion Earth 2150 AD", and became a companion for that story.
            I rememeber the wombles fondly (Tobermory was my favourite) and the carry on movies he was in.
            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

He also was Captain Michael on Space 1999's (Brian the Brain)

photo
              http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...b/spbtb089.jpg

m

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                • Nov 21, 2007

And 2 avengers episodes...and in the films The Railway children, She and Blackball to name a few. And of course the spoon salesman that Basil Fawlty mistook for a hotel inspector in Fawlty Towers.
                I remember him doing an awful lot of Jackanorys as well.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Not sure how much I trust Wikipedia, but it says--- In 2007 he appeared as Wilf Mott in the Doctor Who Christmas special, "Voyage Of The Damned", a character who will reappear in the 2008 season

m

Comment

• YANOULI
                    Part-Time Timelord
                    • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                    Not sure how much I trust Wikipedia, but it says--- In 2007 he appeared as Wilf Mott in the Doctor Who Christmas special, "Voyage Of The Damned", a character who will reappear in the 2008 season

m
                    He was shown fleetingly in the new series montage at the end of the Christmas special.
                    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, Cribbens narrated a lot of kids shows I liked as a kid including "Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings" That's how I learned his name in the first place.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        • Nov 21, 2007

He's apparently gonna be a semi reccuring character...that has no real relevence ...they just wanted to use him more than in the xmas special...according to Russel T Davis in the official Dr Who monthly.
                        ...spot the Cribbins season...

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by danadoll
                          Spoilers:

Rumors that were circulating had Astrid as a human avatar of the TARDIS (or something like that), but they didn't seem address it in the episode...Perhaps they dropped the idea or maybe there were very subtle hints that I didn't catch. If she was some sort of humanoid part of the TARDIS, she didn't seem to be aware of it.

I really liked the episode (even though it was kind of sad)...The Host reminded me of the killer robots of Robots of Death (I think they were meant to, though). There were homages galore in the special (ship disaster flicks, other Doctor Who episodes, etc...)...A lot of folks(on other message boards) are ripping the special apart for the homages (calling them rip-offs), but I thought it was great. Kylie was quite good as I thought she would be (she has had a bit of acting experience here and there). I started getting teary when Foon's husband died and then Foon herself. I lost it when Astrid died (there are rumors that she might be back) and sobbed...LOL...I couldn't help it.

Dana
                          Interesting!

Isn't the TARDIS kind of alive in it's own way?

Perhaps her spirit that was released, eventually becomes of the the sources that the TARDIS is created from?

That would bring her "romance" with the Doctor full circle in a pretty satisfying way. Although I like it if they do leave it up to the viewer's imaginations.

I thought her death scene at the end was quite touching, although the star effects were kind of cheesy. What do you think? A nod to her appearance in Moulan Rouge?
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                            One comment I did get a laugh out of........
                            At the end when the Doctor said, "only Britian is great"
                            The stuff with the Queen was cheezy, but made for a good laugh despite myself.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Wow, Cribbens narrated a lot of kids shows I liked as a kid including "Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings" That's how I learned his name in the first place.
                              I loved that show! It was a staple on TVO for years and years (the public broadcast station that also aired Dr Who locally if you didn't pick up the buffalo pbs station).

I don't doubt that Simon in the Land of Chalk drawings also influenced a young Mike Myers enough to create a character on Saturday Night Live that was a young british boy named Simon who "likes to draw drawrings". Even had a theme song that began with "Well you know my name is Simon...", recalling Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings.

The newsvendor on the christmas special was amusing enough to hopefully not outlast his welcome in subsequent reappearances.

I was actually convinced that The Doctor's warning to Mr Copper about not intefering was foreshadowing something.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎