X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galaxyexplorer42
    Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
    • Mar 3, 2010

The Thing prequel

Just got back from seeing the new movie The Thing. I liked it. Anyone see it yet? We put the John Carpenter movie on right when we got home to do the double feature..... I have the original from the 50's on DVD too.....
    Galaxy Explorer
  • scoth70
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 17, 2008

been wondering how that film would be... you liked it..... but how good was it? did the new effects make it work well? ...does it beat the old versions?

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Emeraldknight and myself were discussing this last night. Haven't seen it yet, but the critics seem a tad harsh on it given the very small story responsibilities it needs to accomplish. They complain about the reveal coming too soon. I'm sorry but the Thing was revealed back in 1982. There is nothing to conceal. To me, the main tool to drive this story should be determining who's the thing. And did they build good tension around that story point? That would be my only question to galaxyexplorer42. I don't want to know what the tie-in is to the '82 film at the end, until I see it. I'm sure that is cool.

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
        Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
        • Mar 3, 2010

I don't want to give away parts of the movie if you haven't seen it yet. If you are concerned that the "reveal" comes too soon, all I can say is that this movie takes place in 1982. In my opinion, there was an instant or two in the movie where some assumptions were made in the story telling, but it unravels fairly well. Once the characters realize what they are dealing with, the enjoyment stays pretty consistent all the way till the end of the movie. Who's the Thing? That question is dealt with pretty well.......
        Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• kennermike
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 4, 2007

I will check it out when it comes out on Blu Ray

Comment

• lepage
            The Ape General
            • Aug 12, 2001

I saw it yesterday and while it is no Carpenter film, it did entertain me. I have to agree with the early reveal though. How they did it on the other hand was kinda cool!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎