X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Doctor Who - The Horror of Fang Rock - talk

Was watching the Horror of Fang Rock last night.

I was kind of let down that a story that had potential for being creepy and even scary was never realized.

I give this one an A+ for set design --- the sets look so real (not counting the light) I would bet it was really filmed in a lighthouse.
    Even the doors are bowed to match the circular walls - now that's attention to detail.

The story itself was the letdown... kind of boring
    This should have been a 2 episoder ...

Also, the characters were pretty lousy too.

What did you think of Fang Rock ?
  • mirrorman
    On Patrol
    • Jul 18, 2011

I've always enjoyed this story, but I did see it first when this story was released on TV here in OZ in the 70's. So that, plus the fact that Leela was the Doctors companion through this period, probably means the reason for veiwing pleasure it still has for me.

That being said, the special effects ( like the almost laughable green plastic and green light for the monster) are probably more quaint than scary when compared to todays effects. Still a story full of atmosphere.

Have to agree about the set ... certainly one of the better efforts for early Doctor Who's.

Btw, this story was broadcast in 4 x 25 mins parts ... from 3rd Sept to 29th Sept 1977

Comment

• david_b
      Never had enough toys..
      • May 9, 2008

It is an excellent 'little' romp for him and Leela..

BEST line was Leela's "Listen to what the Doctor says or I'll CUT YOUR HEART OUT", with the Doctor's grinning afterwards.

I didn't like the loss of the brown contact lenses worn by Louise at the end of this story, but I know they were getting painful for her to wear. Her appearance just wasn't the same afterwards.

Excellently-crafted story, nice slow build.. And by all means yes, also wonderful to see Louise in a cable-knit sweater as well..
      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

The Rutan is a terrible monster in it's alien form but I always liked the story. the heroes come across a lone post where the alien replaces them to accomplish it's goals. Sure it's basically the same story as The Thing but that era of gothic horror who was a true high point for me.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I like when that woman screamed when she found out the guy died and Leela smacked her

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

I always liked this story, being a Leela fan she comes across real good in this. a nice little take on the slowly kill off everyone kind of story. While the rutan wasn't a great looking monster i alwayts wanted to see them return in the series.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Thor
              Thunder God
              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
              I like when that woman screamed when she found out the guy died and Leela smacked her
              Amen. The Victorian princess really got on my nerves.
              sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Nefud
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 17, 2009

I disgree that the ending is weak (unless you mean Leela's eye color change...gag), I love any story that kills off everyone but the Doctor and Companion. Power of the Daleks is my favorite.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎