X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeoz
    Mego Maker
    • Mar 9, 2007

Changes to Star Wars on Blu-ray edition

It looks like the blu-ray edition of the Star Wars saga received a few changes. They seem pretty minor, and in some cases, like the color of lightsabers in the DVD version, the changes are a definite improvement.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...232658967.html
    Looking for:
    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I don't mind cleaning up mistakes for Blu-ray. Because high definition really pulls the details in. And if there is a mistake, it's glaring in high def. That's what disappoints me about the upcoming Jaws release on blu-ray. Spielberg already said he is not cleaning up anything. I think cleaning up images does not alter the integrity of the film. What it does is preserve everyone's "memory" of it.

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

Even so the original "unaltered" trilogy has not been transferred to DVD, (the previous saga DVD release featured the Laserdisc transfers in the set-they were not re-scanned from the negatives for DVD). Only the Special Editions are upgraded to BluRay status.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Everyone can slam Lucas for all they want but he is a genius. Lucas, Spielberg, and a few others are the best films of all time.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I have no problems with cleaning up visuals or even adding delted scenes back ni. i wish he would just put the scenes that still work with the storyline back into the movie instead of leaving them as extras.....oddly though, i find it annoying he is digitally remving the puppet Yoda from Ep 1 and replacing with CGI. not sure why bnecause I did not like the look of that puppet either. I do not plan on picking up the Bluray set. he has enough of my money from prior releases. if the set goes down to $20 in a year, which it will, then i will probably pick it up

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

The "washed out" lightsabres from the ROTJ DVD bugged me. Glad that's been fixed.

More info about the restoration from starwars.com here:

StarWars.com | The Best on Blu-ray: Restoring the Star Wars Saga for the HD Generation
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• kennermike
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 4, 2007

yeah dont know what say about all this anymore?

Comment

• MEMEGO
                Career Member
                • Sep 6, 2007

I could careless, the classics are the classics.
                I for one will not be making Lucas richer.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

All these technical "improvements" don't mean anything to me.
                  I love the films for the story (first of all), and no amount of technical tinkering will change that for me. I'm glad to have the original 1977-1983 versions on DVD, I don't need anything more. I'll gladly "suffer" the little glitches and imperfections...
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• kennermike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 4, 2007

the whole is just getting stupid!

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I don't mind cleaning up mistakes for Blu-ray. Because high definition really pulls the details in. And if there is a mistake, it's glaring in high def. That's what disappoints me about the upcoming Jaws release on blu-ray. Spielberg already said he is not cleaning up anything. I think cleaning up images does not alter the integrity of the film. What it does is preserve everyone's "memory" of it.

I think the film itself will be cleaned up and restored for blu ray. What Speilberg meant is that he isn't going for any digital tweeks or fixes.
                      Last edited by mego73; Aug 31, '11, 10:57 PM.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by kennermike
                        the whole is just getting stupid!
                        Well, I for one am glad they finally got rid of that damn floating "blob" or shadow or whatever the hell it was on the Emperor's hood in ROTJ.
                        That thing has always annoyed the **** out of me.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

I think the true charm of the first two SW movies (and even ROTJ, if you have to count it) came from the interaction of the actors with one another. They shared a similar chemistry to what other great ensembles have had. I mean, just the bit with Harrison Ford on late night a few weeks back shows that Han Solo still lives on inside him.

As long as Lucas can't do anything to screw up Fords, Fishers, Hammills, etc., performances, he can't really do more than make you dislike the films for all the technical hoohahery that he likes to play with and add in. The chemistry is what brings me back to the first two and what makes me continue to watch them...

As far as Lucas being a genius goes [as an earlier poster said]; I don't know that I'd classify Lucas as a genius so much as a man who just knows how to surround himself with people who know their craft very, very well....
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

The only thing Lucas is genius in is making money on the same thing over and over and over again.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                              The only thing Lucas is genius in is making money on the same thing over and over and over again.
                              And inspring others to gripe over the same thing over and over and over again.... WAIT.... that's TWO things!
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎