Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Rise of the Apes" a financial success???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

"Rise of the Apes" a financial success???

I dunno-- You tell me;

The film cost just over 100 mil to make. Though it's only playing on 3,000+ screens now, it opened on over 5,000, which is an insane amount of prints. My friend at Fox hasn't gotten back to me yet about the actual P&A budget (that's prints and advertising), but an educated guess on a film like this, based on the number of theaters and adverts I've personally seen, would be a conservative 50 million, give or take. It's probably more, but for the sake of the thread, lets call the film budget 100mil and P&A 50 mil. That's 150 million dollars. Believe me, it's more-- but again for the sake of the thread, we'll stick to this simple number.

Now, it had a pretty strong opening weekend, but this week has dropped way down and I'm almost 100% sure it will get blown out by this weekend, and after the weekend, I'm sure it'll be on less than 2,000 screens. Right now, it's at 70 million. Foreign is decent at about 25mil, but remember there's a separate budget for foreign P&A, and the distribution fees overseas are almost double what they are domestically, so let's call that 25 a realistic 15... So-- Now, you're at 85 million, give or take, going into your second weekend on almost half the screens and you haven't even recouped the budget of the film, let alone the P&A.

This film will not have "Harry Potter" or even superhero film legs, so let's assume that it will make 15-20 million (again, a VERY high estimate) this weekend. You STILL haven't recouped even the budget of the film domestically... See where this is going?

Is the film better than I expected? Yes. Did I like it? It wasn't awful--But the point I'm making here is that when big studios like Fox make a movie for 100 million plus, that film has to make almost double that just to break even. Will "Rise of the Apes" hit 200 million theatrically? No way.

There's DVD, Blu Ray and all that, but keep in mind, that entire market is shrinking day by day and also keep in mind there's separate P&A budgets for those markets as well. Printing DVD's costs money. Ads cost money-- Will this all be worth it for Fox in the end? Highly doubtful.

I know this may seem unbelievable to people who aren't in the industry, but believe me when I tell you; Regardless of all the great reviews, the strong opening weekend, and the fact that it may look to YOU that the film is making a lot of money, it's not and the Fox execs are very disappointed with the performance of the film.

Admittedly, it opened bigger that I thought it would, and the film was better than I thought it would be. But is it a big moneymaker for the studio??? Do the math--

SC
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Cmonster
    I dunno-- You tell me;

The film cost just over 100 mil to make. Though it's only playing on 3,000+ screens now, it opened on over 5,000, which is an insane amount of prints. My friend at Fox hasn't gotten back to me yet about the actual P&A budget (that's prints and advertising), but an educated guess on a film like this, based on the number of theaters and adverts I've personally seen, would be a conservative 50 million, give or take. It's probably more, but for the sake of the thread, lets call the film budget 100mil and P&A 50 mil. That's 150 million dollars. Believe me, it's more-- but again for the sake of the thread, we'll stick to this simple number.

Now, it had a pretty strong opening weekend, but this week has dropped way down and I'm almost 100% sure it will get blown out by this weekend, and after the weekend, I'm sure it'll be on less than 2,000 screens. Right now, it's at 70 million. Foreign is decent at about 25mil, but remember there's a separate budget for foreign P&A, and the distribution fees overseas are almost double what they are domestically, so let's call that 25 a realistic 15... So-- Now, you're at 85 million, give or take, going into your second weekend on almost half the screens and you haven't even recouped the budget of the film, let alone the P&A.

This film will not have "Harry Potter" or even superhero film legs, so let's assume that it will make 15-20 million (again, a VERY high estimate) this weekend. You STILL haven't recouped even the budget of the film domestically... See where this is going?

Is the film better than I expected? Yes. Did I like it? It wasn't awful--But the point I'm making here is that when big studios like Fox make a movie for 100 million plus, that film has to make almost double that just to break even. Will "Rise of the Apes" hit 200 million theatrically? No way.

There's DVD, Blu Ray and all that, but keep in mind, that entire market is shrinking day by day and also keep in mind there's separate P&A budgets for those markets as well. Printing DVD's costs money. Ads cost money-- Will this all be worth it for Fox in the end? Highly doubtful.

I know this may seem unbelievable to people who aren't in the industry, but believe me when I tell you; Regardless of all the great reviews, the strong opening weekend, and the fact that it may look to YOU that the film is making a lot of money, it's not and the Fox execs are very disappointed with the performance of the film.

Admittedly, it opened bigger that I thought it would, and the film was better than I thought it would be. But is it a big moneymaker for the studio??? Do the math--

SC
    Have actually seen it Sandy? if so your more tolerante then I am I refuse to watch it .I dont care about reviews they mean crap .I perfer a budget of this size go to true filmaking like one of your projects just my 2 cents
    Last edited by kennermike; Aug 12, '11, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Robin NY
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 13, 2008

thats bad news, I just saw the film and enjoyed it very much but after reading this I'm thinking there will never be a sequel. That blows

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

How is it that movies that are actually GOOD and thought-provoking usually get slaughtered at the box office and never have a chance at a sequel whilst drek like TRANSFORMERS just makes barrel loads of cash and the studios just keep churning the s**t out. Makes you wonder about the mindset of the average American movie goer. I don't think they want to think about what they're seeing---they just want brainless eye-candy.

Sad, really....
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

I loved the movie. I don't think it helps that this one doesn't lend itself to merchandising....think Congo. I'll dream of a sequel regardless.

Another angle is ego. It may take a few years, but who's to say that some hotshot won't come along with a foolproof plan guaranteed to make money for a sequel?

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

I haven't seen it yet but would like to see it. It could be post traumatic Burton disorder (which by the way I liked Burton's remake but know most people didn't). There is probably a multi-part problem going on. The economy-as much as everyone says "we're out of the recession" it sure doesn't feel like it. I love going to the movies but honestly have seen only one movie at the theater this entire year. The trailers-maybe it's just me but there is nothing about the trailers that scream "see me". I have a built in love for POTA so of course I view the trailers from my own rose colored lenses and think it looks like a good movie, but my family has also looked at it and don't say a word about wanting to see it (unlike other movies). Finally, I thing there is too much competition going on. Harry Potter threw the first big punch to the movie season followed by Captain America plus the Smurfs of all movies doing well (but that has a built in kid audience). I think there is only so much discretionary spending with most families and are passing on this one.
            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

Sandy, you say a lot of prints of the film have been made. I was wondering how many theaters are really using Film/Celluloid as opposed to Digital Projection nowadays. Most if not all of the summer blockbusters I saw this year had a Digital Projection logo in the newspaper ads and at the start of the film too. I thought the studios were going to save $$$ by using this tech?

How does Rise of... compare to how Tim Burtons Ape-f'd-up film? Has anyone compared their grosses per week, etc.?

I have not seen the film and probably won't. It really doesn't grab me. Maybe if this story had been told in flashback it would've intrigued more people? They could have done a Godfather II set up where we jump from the established Ape society back to the beginning of it. Young apes ask Ceaser and/or the Lawgiver how Ape society began. This tale is then told to the young apes as it was seen thru Ceaser's eyes but little details come accross as embellished. We get hints that something is being held back. By the end of the film after all the young apes questions have been answered we are given a reveal showing some recalled memory, not shared with the young apes, that sheds light on the tale's embellishment. Something shocking that makes for a good twist ending.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I thought I read somewhere that a sequel is in the works? Might be wrong.

Comment

• Megospidey
                  Museum Webslinger
                  • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  How is it that movies that are actually GOOD and thought-provoking usually get slaughtered at the box office and never have a chance at a sequel whilst drek like TRANSFORMERS just makes barrel loads of cash and the studios just keep churning the s**t out. Makes you wonder about the mindset of the average American movie goer. I don't think they want to think about what they're seeing---they just want brainless eye-candy.

Sad, really....
                  I don't know if it is sad so much as it is an indicator that most Americans want to go to movies to ESCAPE not to THINK.

They want to be entertained, not drawn into an intellectual conversation about a movie.

In the end, was the movie good and did it provide an escape rush for me. That's all most Americans care bout.

I personally like a movie that makes me think and causes me to interact and discuss with others, but most don't.

They want to escape from their jobs, their family life, their obligations and responsibilities - plop down $10 for a ticket and $20 for popcorn and drink - and forget about their problems/worries for a 90-120 minutes.

It's the same reason people go to bars and drink. They want to escape. They don't necessarily want their minds stimulated.

Is that wrong? Not necessarily. It's just an indicator of our fast-paced, hectic, stressful lives as Americans. Movies are an escape for most people. They are a breaking - in their minds - from "thinking reality."

That said - it's baffling why more Americans did not go see this movie because on the surface, it is very much "action eye candy" - even though it is a thinking movie as well.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

But Megospidey, I go to the bar and get plenty stimulated!!!!!

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

This thread is a very interesting read

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

it may take a small hit, but it'll be worth it in the long run if it can produce a good sequel, then they'll bank off of that
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Box Office Mojo

Seems to be doing okay so far...LOL
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

I think Had this movie opened up in the early part of the year it would have made good money....but in August when many people are on vacation (if that) or want to enjoy their sunny days and maybe spend time at the beach. it'll open good then just fade away.

I think the mentality these days with the economy so bad and families not willing to pay a lot to go to the movies. many people will just wait for redbox or netflix to see them. especially since the wait for a movie on DVD is so much shorter now......

Comment

• torgospizza
                              Theocrat of Pan Tang
                              • Aug 19, 2010

I think word of mouth might help it quite a bit. I can't believe the number of people I would have never thought would like it are talking about how much they enjoyed it, and almost everyone I know that hasn't seen it yet wants to (apart from people that just don't go to movies [yes, they exist--I know several]).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎