X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Krusher
    Banned
    • Oct 25, 2010

Starship Troopers?

I had always judged this film based on the posters, tv spots, and various other media, never having seen it.
    Just got the set of three (wasnt aware that there were sequels..) on dvd at a pawn shop for $5, so I figured what the hell.
    I am about 4/5 through the first movie, and I have to say its not half bad. I had read on IMDB that I shouldnt bother with the second one, just skip to the third.

So far -

Negatives:

The cast/acting. I understand the demographic they were aiming for, it certainly wasnt Dr. Who and/or Trek fans. However, they could have done a bit better...the 'human elements' are cornball and crappy, the dialogue and 'acting' is straight out of 'Full House'. The only tolerable younger actor is Gary Busey's son, and his poor imitation of the marines from Aliens.

The progression was a bit FAST for me as well, STRAIGHT to the bed and FORGET the kissing!

The editing was pretty alright, only a few small spots where things werent congruent and/or seconds seemed to be missing.

Positives:

Very neat battle scenes, the cg looks good enough for me, and the generic bravado music suffices as well. The night battles look very well done to me, almost something you might see on the evening news..

I'm also very impressed with the space scenes. Typically I dont pay much attention to the large ships and soforth, namely because I have a terrible PHOBIA of deep space, but I found these to be pretty spot-on. I'd like for the tech/ships to have been a bit more WORN, but all in all...

Last but never least, Ironside! Playing his tried and true villian/protagonist/sadist/hard@ss/d-bag to a T! He is one of the actors that I wish could get more quality work.....he along with John Saxon....

Not bad overall, and I do appreciate the great anti-war commentary as well as the social satire. Also, the (unintended?) small homages to Star Wars, Aliens, and many others is appreciated.

Mildly looking forward to the next one(s)....as a lifelong sci-fi fan, these are an OK addition to my pleasure banks.
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

I think I watch the third one on tv recently (having not seen the previous two). I have to say it seemed a bit of a cheese fest and incredibly corny

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I dig the first Starship Troopers for the reasons you said...but the direct to video sequels are pretty bad.
      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I enjoyed gthe first one but it is a bit over the top....worth watching to see Dina Meyers cans.
        I saw one of the sequels, not sure which, it was not great, but not horrible either

Comment

• CowofZot
          • Feb 1, 2011

How bout the PRO war bits? My Mom says violence never solves anything. Wrong! War has solved more conflicts than any other factor in history.

Part 2 was lame, but as I liked part 1 so much, it fell into the cold Pizza/still good category. 3 much better, but not near as good as part 1.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            I enjoyed gthe first one but it is a bit over the top....worth watching to see Dina Meyers cans.
            It was meant to be over the top...

The one thing that really bothered me about the movie is Casper Van Dien drooling all over the standoffish and boring plastic-looking Denise Richards...and totally dissing the very hot Dina Meyers...who kept begging for his attention...then Meyer's characters gets horribly killed...and the other two losers live happily ever after...good grief...

sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I LOVE the first Starship Troopers Movie! It's just a fun action SiFi Flick...with lots of Paul Verhoeven humor thrown in. The "over the top" Propaganda news Reels crack me up!
              sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

The thing they really shortchanged movie-goers on was that the soldiers had flying suits in the book. They decided they would just make them foot-soldiers and not have this technological advantage in the film. I think it really cuts too much out of the story. I don't even think it was a budget savings thing. They just figured it was a hassle to do it and threw it away. I enjoyed the film but can't help thinking it would have been a tour de force with flying soldiers in it.

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

I think a lot of the criticism came from fans of the book.
                  They didn't like the changes.

Much like gamers are rarely happy with movies about their favorite games.

I liked Troopers as much as I liked Resident Evil. Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy. All have a large group of fans of the original material that hated the movies.
                  Me, not being invested in the original materail enjoy those movies, and rarely turn past them when I hit on them flipping chanels.

Comment

• CowofZot
                    • Feb 1, 2011

At least we got Roughnecks out of it. Sorta like TAS coming out of TOS.

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                      It was meant to be over the top...

The one thing that really bothered me about the movie is Casper Van Dien drooling all over the standoffish and boring plastic-looking Denise Richards...and totally dissing the very hot Dina Meyers...who kept begging for his attention...then Meyer's characters gets horribly killed...and the other two losers live happily ever after...good grief...

yeah ummm... I'm with him...I'd be going after Richards too
                      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

I liked part 1, it was cheesy but entertaining
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I really like this film. Very much in the same vein as Robocop. Plus it introduced me to Denise Richards...The best effect they had in the whole film.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>I think a lot of the criticism came from fans of the book.

I dunno.... I never read the book and I didn’t care for the film. I could see folks liking it for the action, and the monsters were neat; but there were too many “Huh?” bits for me. Stuff like:

-having all their guys get wiped out on the first raid, so they send in a bunch more guys armed and organized exactly like the first group.
                            -the one woman earns her big promotion ‘cos she’s smart enough to think of turning the ship away from the big, slow moving projectile?
                            -Prettyboy scrubs out during training, gets a second chance, saves the day. Yawn.

Don C.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by CowofZot
                              At least we got Roughnecks out of it. Sorta like TAS coming out of TOS.
                              Yeah, Roughnecks was GREAT! I own the entire series on DVD. My only complaint is they didn't make the Characters look like their Movie counterparts.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎