Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!
Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lotr Dvd ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Lotr Dvd ?

I've put off buying LOTR on dvd until it's almost too late--I see blue-ray is forthcoming.

Has anyone purchased the Wal-Mart $9 releases? I see that they include extras, but do they include the extended cuts of the films? The running times seem standard, but extras listed are confusing me...
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

this is the animation one right? I have the first DVD release, i'm not a huge fan of the cartoon
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I think he's referring to the Peter Jackson ones.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

you have to check it and see if it says theatrical release. they did re-release the trilogy a while back on DVD with both versions on it.

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

I believe the Blu-Ray is for both (separately) the Animated Movie and the Trilogy...and the Trilogy is the Theatrical Releases.

The Walmart ones are pretty good (Theatrical Releases), especially for the price...but...

If you can get your hands on the Extended Editions, now that's the version of the movies you'd definitely want to see:

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition)
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
            WANTED for card bending
            • Apr 26, 2008

BY GANDALF'S BEARD!

Lets get all the facts straight here

1) the Blu ray releases of the Peter Jackson Trilogy will be released TOMORROW, as will the Bakshi animated version. The Bakshi version is a stand alone release (which got poor reviews). The Jackson versions got really high reviews. these will be the theatrical versions and come packaged together in a 9 disc set. Best buy has them on sale.

2) There are 2 seperate releases on dvd (unless you count the watered down multi disc slipcases thet are just the extended film) the standard versions do not have the directors cuts of the film, nor the "appendicies" discs which boast a truly robust look into each section of the trilogy. whilst the "extended editions" are a LOTR fan's holy grail. extended movie, appendices the works. Never has there been any sort of combo pack with both versions (extended and non) of these films. The Bakshi one comes jogging along side to cash in when rings is a hot seller. This also has never been offered as a pre-packaged deal.

"There is only one lord of the rings, and he shares Megos with no one..."- Gandalf the Type 2

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Early reviews of the Blu-ray version of "Fellowship..." haven't been kind. Apparently the transfer is very uneven, with some parts of the film looking rather poor for HD. The other two films fare better but still aren't quite as good as people were hoping. Because of that, along with the rather high price plus the fact that only the theatrical versions are included, I think I'll either wait for a better future Blu-ray release, or wait for this set to get much cheaper.

Comment

• ramsey37
                • Jun 18, 2001

I picked up the Bakshi LOTR this morning at Wal-Mart. It had been 26 years since the last time I saw it. With a little luck, it'll be that long again before I feel the need to sit through it once more
                George

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I have the Bakshi version from the last DVD release. Not my favorite but still a decent movie for what it is. Before we had Jackson's masterpiece that was all there was....the kid friendly Hobbit and Return of the King were terrible.
                  Bakshi's movie is a classic at this point, whether you like it or not

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I have the Bakshi version from the last DVD release. Not my favorite but still a decent movie for what it is. Before we had Jackson's masterpiece that was all there was....the kid friendly Hobbit and Return of the King were terrible.
                    Bakshi's movie is a classic at this point, whether you like it or not
                    Hey!
                    I love all 3 of those.
                    Still have them on VHS and watch them at least once a year at one point in time or another.

Really glad to see that all 3 are now out in one set on DVD.
                    Will have to pick it up soon.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

So the BluRay that came out last week is only the theatrical version? If so. I'll wait, I have that on DVD already.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎