X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spamn
    Minty and All-Original!
    • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
    I'm not necessarily sure that the MIB is impervious to knives...Remember, Dogen gave Sayid instructions to stab MIB/Locke with the knife BEFORE he could utter a word...to paraphrase Dogen "Once you let him speak, it is already to late". So the theory is if MIB/Locke didn't say "Hello" to Sayid first, Sayid could have stabbed him and killed him. Instead, the stabbing didn't do anything. The knife Dogen gave Sayid is the same knife that pre-MIB stabbed his "mother" with. He snuck up quietly and stabbed her before she could utter a word...She then preceeded to say "nothing" and then thanked him (because apparently she couldn't kill herself as per "the rules").
    Interesting. I suppose it could be that he's vulnerable only if he doesn't speak first, but it seems far more reasonable and likely to me that Sayid was lied to and that he's impervious to mortal weapons because he isn't really a man. Either way is possible wth what we know at this point though.
    If she had some sort of Smokey powers, as per my theory, that would explain how she was able to lay waste to the "Others" and create earthly havoc which would seal in the well and then torch the place after the fact... All in a "Jacobian" (or maybe "MIBian") effort to p.o. pre-MIB and goad him into killing her.
    Yeah, no normal human could have killed those people and filled in that hole in the time it took MIB to wake up. I'm hoping this gets answered definitively, but I can't imagine that it will be.
    I watched it again and it appears like she might have been lying...There were a lot of subtleties in Allison Janney's performance that I missed the first time around that make me think now she was pulling a long con on both boys since the beginning....
    Allison Janney is a Goddess, watching her on the West Wing made me a fan. Then you go back and recognize her in Primary Colors, watching her doing some great funny stuff in a tiny little part... great to see her on LOST. But at this stage of the game, it seems too much to hope for that we'll get definitive answers on who she was, where she came from, and what she was up to considering how little time is left.
    Last edited by spamn; May 13, '10, 9:43 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

So MIB was "special" according to his "mother" and his birth mother sorta implied the same thing because he could she her...and Jacob couldn't because she was dead. Which makes me wonder if MIB should have been the "chosen one"...Jacob doesn't seem to bright. MIB also seemed to "know" how to play the game and "knew" about installing the donkey wheel to access the light source.

I see a lot of parallels between MIB and the original John Locke (which was driven home a few weeks back when MIB envoked Locke's mantra of "Don't tell me what I can't do")...the whole "special" and "destined" thing, only to be hosed at the end.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

People keep asking about Mother and her back story, where did she come from, etc, but I have no problem at all with where they left it. Who she was and how she got there is simply another story. She may have been there for centuries and replaced someone else, it really doesn't matter anymore than what MIB name is. The point was that it's always the same--people come, they corrupt, etc--she died and was replaced by Jacob, Jacob died and was replaced by a candidate (maybe).

I'm way more interested in what happened after this, how Jacob spent the next 2000 years...how did he get to leave the Island so easily, how did he develop into what he became and what the Smoke Monster's relation to it all was--where did the Cabin figure into it, when and why was MIB trapped there? What was the deal when Ben summoned Smokie like a guard dog? What is the deal with Ben anyway?

Gahhhhh! The creators keep saying how they can't answer every little mystery, but geebus, we'll be stumbling over them for years to come and discovering major questions that were never resolved.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah Jacob's path after "Across the Sea" is something that I hope they touch on as well...2000 years or so is a long time for one dude. Was he "enLIGHTened" after drinking the wine? His mother uttered something while she was praying (?), some sort of ceremony, maybe? After he drank it, she said Jacob was no just like her...I assume that's the point where the non-aging process began but did it also clue him in to the ways of the island?

At some point, someone was responsible for uncovering the well and finishing off the donkey wheel...Jacob or someone on behalf of MIB?

The lighthouse....Jacob used it but HOW did he know HOW to build it?

And obviously he was able to leave the island on several occassions...how is this possible when mother told MIB that he would never be able to leave the island? Or did this caveat just apply to MIB and not Jacob?

MIB also seems to have some more 'splaining to do....The whole cabin scenario you mentioned and why exactly was he the "judge" of the island (Whatever happened to the Others' "sheriff" BTW? ). Supposedly he can't leave the island and yet Jack saw an image of his father (who MIB/Locke admitted masquerading as) when he was off-island in L.A.

And who exactly was responsible for allowing Dharma to set foot on the island? We know they found it through the use of the Lamppost Station...but was this through the direction of Jacob or MIB? It would seem to be more to MIB's benefit that they were on the island since they were researching the properties of the island, as he had been doing in a way to get off the island. As opposed to Jacob who was instructed to protect the island.

And where exactly does Widmore and Ben fit into all of this?

Arrrrggh!
          Last edited by The Toyroom; May 14, '10, 7:21 AM.

Comment

• spamn
            Minty and All-Original!
            • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by MegoScott
            People keep asking about Mother and her back story, where did she come from, etc, but I have no problem at all with where they left it. Who she was and how she got there is simply another story. She may have been there for centuries and replaced someone else, it really doesn't matter anymore than what MIB name is. The point was that it's always the same--people come, they corrupt, etc--she died and was replaced by Jacob, Jacob died and was replaced by a candidate (maybe).

I'm way more interested in what happened after this, how Jacob spent the next 2000 years...how did he get to leave the Island so easily, how did he develop into what he became and what the Smoke Monster's relation to it all was--where did the Cabin figure into it, when and why was MIB trapped there? What was the deal when Ben summoned Smokie like a guard dog? What is the deal with Ben anyway?

Gahhhhh! The creators keep saying how they can't answer every little mystery, but geebus, we'll be stumbling over them for years to come and discovering major questions that were never resolved.
            I don't know, it seems to me one of the central mysteries of the show is 'what is the island'. How did it come to be, why is it the way that it is? I think it's legitimate to complain that it now appears that none of these questions will be addressed much beyond 'it's a magical mystical place that houses supernatural forces of good and evil.'

Well, yeah, we got that from the last 6 seasons. I was hoping for a little more. Instead, we get a hand wave and 'It's turtles all the way down'. A mite unfulfilling as far as a satisfying answer IMO.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I wonder if Jacob's adopted mother ever appeared to him as a ghost afterward to fill him in on stuff...Supposedly he couldn't see his real mother's ghost but maybe he got the ability after he drank the wine?

Also, along those lines, any opinions on why Jacob is apparently returning as a ghost who ages (What th'?) and is taunting MIB?

Comment

• alex
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 15, 2009

I kinda watch the show as it goes, but all the above is thought provoking, Im sure the writers ask themselves the same questions

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

I wonder if Jacob's adopted mother ever appeared to him as a ghost afterward to fill him in on stuff...Supposedly he couldn't see his real mother's ghost but maybe he got the ability after he drank the wine?

Also, along those lines, any opinions on why Jacob is apparently returning as a ghost who ages (What th'?) and is taunting MIB?
                  I dunno. I almost think they just put him in to build up to their story.

Why neither Mother seems to like Jacob very much is an interesting question. I guess MIB is so gosh darned special .

So what are the odds MIB is redeemed in the end, a- la Darth Vader, ROTJ? If the whole show is about redemption, can he not be redeemed?

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

^ There were a whole bunch of Vader/MIB parallels in the "Across the Sea" episode....for a second there I thought the mother was gonna talk about those midichlorians.

Comment

• megoscott
                      Founding Partner
                      • Nov 17, 2006

Television - The Men Who Made ABC’s ‘Lost’ Last - Question - NYTimes.com

Nice interview.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

“live together, die alone.”

That's it in a nutshell innit?

Great interview!
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Everbody ready for the last Tuesday episode tomorrow night?

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

Totally. This time next week it's gonna feel sooooooo weird.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

January is gonna suck for me next year....Lost and 24 won't be coming back and I'm done with American Idol (this year sucks and Simon will be gone)...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

I was re-watching the pilot today...Very interesting and cool....Sorta getting to know these characters all over again but with the hindsight of where they're going, if that makes sense The scene with Locke explaining the game of backgammon to Walt is a must see

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎