Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Nestor Carbonella did a great job last night making me feel Richard's pain and loss....Super episode!

For someone that's supposed to be evil incarnate, MIB seemed like a pretty cool dude....whereas Jacob has been coming across as a smug dick lately....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
      WANTED for card bending
      • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by The Toyroom
      Nestor Carbonella did a great job last night making me feel Richard's pain and loss....Super episode!

For someone that's supposed to be evil incarnate, MIB seemed like a pretty cool dude....whereas Jacob has been coming across as a smug dick lately....
      I was so ticked off last night when he revealed they were all dead, I remember clearly in an official podcast that they are all alive and not dead. I felt likea five year old that had been lied to by Santa Claus.

But In the spirit of LOST they debunked the whole reasoning behing Alpert saying such things in a really kicking episode. Theories may have it pointed toward both MIB and Jacob are Genies? BTW WHERE IN SAMHAIN IS DESMOND????? I also Like how they have dropped context clues throughout the otherworld lostaways, to wrap up mysteries they did not get around to directly revealing. BEST EPISODE OF THIS SEASON YET!
      Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Mar 25, '10, 3:12 AM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
        BTW WHERE IN SAMHAIN IS DESMOND?????
        The next episode is a Jin/Sun sideways....followed by a Desmond.

Comment

• spamn
          Minty and All-Original!
          • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by z3zep
          I agree, it doesn't seem to make much sense. I am sure he could fine something to try to manipulate in almost anyone.

Why does Jacob allow the smoke monster to kill people at will (except for candidates)?

If only people that Jacob brings to the island can come to the island, then did he invite the Darma initiative?

I had thought for a while that the island was the gate to hell -- I was hoping it was something more......
          I think the clincher will be when we find out what happened to the Agira flight people. Did MIB kill them, or Widmore, or someone/thing else? If MIB killed them, then he's the bad guy. Jacob may be an indifferent manipulative toolbag, but he's not actively killing people.

Jacob probably did invite/allow Dharma. It seems like his whole deal is manipulating lives like a grand chessmaster, so Dharma coming to the island is probably the result of his actions in some way.

As far as it being the gate to hell, I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's more like Pandora's Box, if Jacob's explanation to Richard has any truth to it. What I wonder is if Jacob's job is to prevent MIB from leaving, and the nature of the island is such that MIB can't leave on his own until he somehow reincarnates into a body, why did he let Dharma muck around with the fundamental forces of the island - to the point where not pushing the button does something really bad to the properties of the island and there are wheels that untether the island through time? Doesn't that risk anything?

And a second question: if MIB has incarnated as Locke to have a body, why is Locke's corpse still around as a separate thing? What's that all about? If he didn't need Locke's physical body, how is what he is now different from any other time he's appeared as someone else that's dead?
          Last edited by spamn; Mar 25, '10, 7:56 AM.

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

MIB doesn't reanimate flesh, but he seems to need a body on the island in order to assume it's form. Christian, Yemi, Locke, Alex...That was how I understood it--That's why the Others made such a point of getting the bodies from Dharma last season, why they burn their dead on pyres.

However---That doesn't explain Isabella this week. Her body was back in the canary islands, yet it seemed pretty clear to me that the first time we saw her in the Black Rock it was the Smoke Monster impersonating her to mess with Richard. It's confusing, because at the end of the episode her vision was clearly benevolent--there were two different Isabella spirits. It seems like there's two kinds of visions on the Island--people impersonated by Smokie and people maybe impersonated by Jacob who pass on his messages??? There was Ben's mother, Kate's horse, the creepy kid following MIB around, WALT, Hurley's bald friend, CHARLIE...

I don't know what the rules are. I kind of wish we could have an entire Season that just covers the history of the Island prior to the crash.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

MIB always seems to have a good point, I can totally see where he's coming from, and Jacob does seem like a thoughtless jerk. But I don't see how anyone can be confused on who's evil. MIB killed everyone at the temple, he killed Eko (in a really nasty temper tantrum) I'm pretty sure he's responsible for leading Ben to do the Purge...If this is a heaven and hell thing, Jacob works in mysterious ways and MIB is a silver tongued devil.

Comment

• z3zep
                The Girl Next Door
                • Sep 30, 2006

Originally posted by spamn
                As far as it being the gate to hell, I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's more like Pandora's Box, if Jacob's explanation to Richard has any truth to it. What I wonder is if Jacob's job is to prevent MIB from leaving, and the nature of the island is such that MIB can't leave on his own until he somehow reincarnates into a body, why did he let Dharma muck around with the fundamental forces of the island - to the point where not pushing the button does something really bad to the properties of the island and there are wheels that untether the island through time? Doesn't that risk anything?
                I see your point about Pandora's box.

The reason I said the island is the gateway to hell is 1) that the story line is starting to remind me of the 1977 movie "The Sentinal". 2) hell was mentioned several times in the episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinel_(1977_film)

general similarities:

there is a guardian who ensures that the demons, devil and archangels do not escape.

It's time that a new guardian needed to be appointed (the candidates to replace Jacob)

The candidate sees and iteracts with dead people already in hell.

Perhaps -- The replacement must pay for their sins by becoming the next Sentinel, and by doing so, they will be allowed into Heaven.
                Last edited by z3zep; Mar 25, '10, 3:24 PM.

Comment

• spamn
                  Minty and All-Original!
                  • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by MegoScott
                  MIB always seems to have a good point, I can totally see where he's coming from, and Jacob does seem like a thoughtless jerk. But I don't see how anyone can be confused on who's evil. MIB killed everyone at the temple, he killed Eko (in a really nasty temper tantrum) I'm pretty sure he's responsible for leading Ben to do the Purge...If this is a heaven and hell thing, Jacob works in mysterious ways and MIB is a silver tongued devil.
                  The other thing is that what Jacob said to Ben seemed to be tailor designed to provoke him into stabbing him. I wondered if that was somehow part of the plan, too. Still wondering actually. Though looking at how Jacob was with Richard at first - with the waterboarding (little joke there) to prove the point - also made me wonder if when he said to Ben 'What ABOUT you?', if that was just a bit of the old Jacob. Even so, Jacob could've handled Ben better. That's commitment to free will - letting yourself be killed rather than talking your assailant out of his choice.

I think the writers missed a great opportunity in the Ben episode when Ilanna said Jacob was the closest thing she had to a Father; Ben should've shot back that Jacob was the closest thing he had to a GOD. And all of a sudden, he's Judas.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

It seems like there's two kinds of visions on the Island--people impersonated by Smokie and people maybe impersonated by Jacob who pass on his messages??? There was Ben's mother, Kate's horse, the creepy kid following MIB around, WALT, Hurley's bald friend.
                    Hurley's "friend" Dave was just a mental hallucination...same as when Hurley was in the sanitarium.

Comment

• spamn
                      Minty and All-Original!
                      • Mar 28, 2002

Originally posted by z3zep
                      Originally posted by spamn
                      I see your point about Pandora's box.

The reason I said the island is the gateway to hell is 1) that the story line is starting to remind me of the 1977 movie "The Sentinal". 2) hell was mentioned several times in the episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinel_(1977_film)

general similarities:

there is a guardian who ensures that the demons, devil and archangels do not escape.

It's time that a new guardian needed to be appointed (the candidates to replace Jacob)

The candidate sees and iteracts with dead people already in hell.

Perhaps -- The replacement must pay for their sins by becoming the next Sentinel, and by doing so, they will be allowed into Heaven.
                      Interesting. I'm not sure how Christian Jacob and MIB are - the statue looked Egyptian to me, so they may be drawing on stories older than the Bible for this. I think all the Hell and Devil talk was for Richard's benefit, using his ignorant faith against him.

It remains to be seen if the island is some kind of portal to the Hell, or just some kind of metaphysical, non-christian hell. But I'm hopeful that will be clarified by the end of the show.

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

^^ The statue is the Egyptian fertility goddess Tawaret who has also tasked with restraining Set, the god of the underworld. In other words, she's the guardian that keeps the devil imprisoned.

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

Hurley's "friend" Dave was just a mental hallucination...same as when Hurley was in the sanitarium.
                          Maybe not...Coincidentally, this question came up in the official Lost Podcast today! They say these questions will be answered soon...ie: Was Dave the smoke monster or just Dave?

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

^ Interesting

Comment

• spamn
                              Minty and All-Original!
                              • Mar 28, 2002

^^ The statue is the Egyptian fertility goddess Tawaret who has also tasked with restraining Set, the god of the underworld. In other words, she's the guardian that keeps the devil imprisoned.
                              Interesting. I've read elsewhere about the Tawaret myth parallel, but I missed the detail that the statue was her.

Interesting also that nobody can have babies on the island with the big fertility god statue (Sun and Rousseau don't count).

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

^ I wonder if they'll ever resolve that whole baby issue?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎