X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

Mego Buck Rogers Killer Kane on Planet of the Apes

This may just be new to me, but I'll share just in case others are interested.

In 1980 episodes of the POTA TV show were edited together into TV movies. Roddy McDowall was brought in to play an older version of his character Galen and create bumpers for the beginning and end of each film.

In the last one he's building something and in the end he reveals to be be this.

Tell me that isn't a 12 inch Buck Rogers Killer Kane head.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Godzilla; Feb 28, '24, 9:05 PM.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

It sure looks like it to me, repainted.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

12” Kane on a 10” Mattel Sunhine/Kotter/1999 body

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

neat. i don't recall those bumper bits

Comment

• Godzilla
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 3, 2002

I only vaguely remember them. Below is what the WIKI has to say:

When the Planet of the Apes telefilms began syndication, ABC's owned and operated stations, who bought them for their afternoon movie programs (with titles such as The 4:30 Movie), asked Roddy McDowall to re-create his role of Galen in a series of new beginnings and endings specifically for these stations, billed as "The New Planet of the Apes". The introductions created originally by 20th Century Fox to begin each film were replaced by a now-aged Galen (McDowall) examining the events of the telefilms. The beginnings and endings revealed Virdon and Burke's final fates: "They found their computer in another city and disappeared into space as suddenly as they'd arrived". According to "TV Zone Special #17" (1995 issue) McDowall filmed these "two years after the demise of the first run episodes of the Planet of the Apes television series", which would be December 1976. The ABC openings and closings of these telefilms were neither broadcast by other stations nor included on any home media release.[13]
          Mortui Vivos Docent
          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Godzilla
            According to "TV Zone Special #17" (1995 issue) McDowall filmed these "two years after the demise of the first run episodes of the Planet of the Apes television series", which would be December 1976. [/SUP]​
            Regarding the 'Aged Galen' bumpers: The "TV Zone Special #17" is incorrect.

The television series films didn't start to air until 1980. I do not believe the bumpers would have been filmed in 1976 and then left unused for 4 years. And, if this really is the Killer Kane figure's head, Killer Kane wasn't released until 1979, so how could they have used the head of a figure in 1976 that didn't exist until 1979?
            Last edited by apes3978; Mar 4, '24, 9:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎